Battle of Rebellion...

Jahled

Ok, call me a plank of wood, but i've tried to watch this on two different, but equally powerful, computers and I can't watch it! Aghaa...the anguish!!

I spent about fifteen minutes at work waiting for it to download and when I played it it was like being in a recording studio watching various volume levels go up and down!

I went to my local internet cafe and tried it there and the same thing happened! Aghaa!

I admit to being in possession of the brain of a dead goldfish,but what am I doing wrong! All i'm doing is downloading the blasted file and trying to watch it!

...Jahled wanders off mumbling and gibbering into some corner, occassionally grunting things about how much simpler life was with ZX Spectrums and games involving mutant llamas....

Hate mail here please, and please kindly refrain from using words such as dork, idiot, and dweeb when refering to me, i'm fully aware my character possesses such qualities....

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Guest Scathane
Dunno for sure. I know I had major problems in downloading the Mediaplayer version and couldn't get that played. The Quicktime version, however, worked fine. Have you tried both versions?

Dunno either, maybe these machines didn't have the right DivX codec installed, or none at all :D

This movie uses DivX 4, I watched it with DivX 5 without any problems. Do you have these installed ?

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Guest Scathane
I wouldn't have a clue. Since the Mediaplayer 9-series is DivX compatible, I stopped using DivX players. Have you tried the Quicktime version?

Media Player 9 ? Is that the one shipped with XP, or is there yet another update that doesn't really do anything new :roll::lol: ?

No, I meant installing the codec, the you can view these files easily through the media player. I never much liked that player they included in DivX 4.12 (The playa, I think was its name).

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Guest Scathane
Media Player 9 ? Is that the one shipped with XP, or is there yet another update that doesn't really do anything new :roll::lol: ?

No, I meant installing the codec, the you can view these files easily through the media player. I never much liked that player they included in DivX 4.12 (The playa, I think was its name).

Mediaplayer 9 is yet another update that doesn't really do anything new, except most likely, tightening the M-pire's grip over us.

With regard to the codec, I still do not quite understand what you mean: the point is that I do not have to install a codec for the trailer to play.

Jahled you dork idiot dweeb! Any luck?!? :)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Good grief! I really feel i'm in the dark ages listening to you guys talking. I guess the best thing would be if some kind soul could post some simple questions I can ask the dude down at the internet cafe!
http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Guest Scathane
Awwww, c'mon! We still think you're pretty okay! You've still got that nice skippy ball! No, really, Jahled, you're okay! Dorky, but okay. :lol:

Ah you aint that bad mate. I have no idea what a codec is either!

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Guest Scathane

Okay then, here we go. Depending on your sources, codec stands for compression/decompression or encode/decode. A codec is a small utility designed to compress video and/or audio information, so that it is easier to deliver to the end user’s system. In an uncompressed format, NTSC video is about 27 megabytes of information per second. At this size, only about 24 seconds of video could be placed on a standard CD – which means that a minute of uncompressed video is approximately 1.6 gigabytes. So, even on a standard DVD (4.5 gigabyte capacity) you could have a mere 2.8 minutes of fully uncompressed video. Likewise, uncompressed audio is approximately 150 kilobytes per second. In order to make large video clips more feasible, compression is necessary. Most codecs compress video using spatial and/or temporal compression.

Spatial compression compresses video by removing redundant data within an image. For example, if a video clip contains areas of similar color, then a codec can generalize by specifying coordinates of an area, as well as its color. In doing so, there is no need to process the individual details of each pixel. The less detail there is in an image – the better a codec is able to generalize the image, when using spatial compression. Removing fine details and digital noise, and using video with simple backgrounds will make it easier for a codec to compress images spatially.

Temporal compression uses a method that processes video by looking for and storing only the changes between consecutive frames, instead of the entire image. The original frame used as a reference for the following frames is called a keyframe. A keyframe contains the entire image. The frames that contain changes made to the original keyframe are called delta or difference frames. A keyframe is added every second or so to correct slight cumulative errors that can occur in the delta frames. This kind of compression tracks the changes over time – thus, the name “temporal” compression. Video that is best suited for temporal compression has few camera movements and subject changes.

A typical design feature of codecs is their asymmetrical processing. In other words, the codec is often designed to decompress video faster than it compresses it. This approach makes sense, since having the decompression process faster than the compression process allows video to play back in real-time. For example, a frame that took several seconds to compress may only take a fraction of a second to decompress. Codecs designed this way are referred to as asymmetric codecs. However, nowadays, most codecs allow you both to compress and decompress in real time.

One of the things to consider when selecting a codec is your image quality vs. file size. If image quality is your primary concern, then choosing fully uncompressed or near fully uncompressed video is your best option. However, if you’re working in an environment where file size is a large consideration, then using higher compression rates are advisable. Obviously, this can become a bit of a juggling act, as you determine at what point the file size is more important than loss of image quality. Is it really better to have extremely small files that are delivered easily, if the image quality is no longer worth watching? The only real way to know where to determine what codec is acceptable for your needs is by experimenting with them.

Wow. Thanks. My mind just went pop i think. :)

Guest Scathane
I thought this was common knowledge... :lol:

For some people it is, for soem not. For me a codec always was a stupid thingy I need to download to watch certain movies. I learnt a lot from your post though.

I was joking, Trejiuvanat! :):D:lol::!:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scathane
He would have made a comment of the trailer by now
You mean he would have made a comment if he'd seen it or he would have made a comment if he hadn't seen it?