The new Star Wars DVDs

Eagle

aah.. wow... not to shoot you down... but i pictured much worse... its still not cool though... not cool at all... but.. it.. kinda.... looks like my old VHS's... lol... but i guess if we are paying as much as we are... and they are on DVD.. they should look better... :? Edited by JediHunter

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

ahh yes... i would suppose so... grrr... why couldnt they clean it up?.. i forgot their excuse... howd they do it for the '99 SE VHS release?... wasnt that from the original film?..

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

I was thinking about how Lucas edits the OT, and was wondering if he should or even could edit Darth Vader in A New Hope. As you know, the "eyes" on Vader's mask appear to be a dark red color. Also, Vader wears his inner robes over his shoulder armor, instead of under them as he does in the rest of the movies, including the PT.

My question is, could Lucas edit it Vader with the technology available today so that he looks more the same as he does in the other films. It would also look better for continuity reasons.

Lucas might botch it up somehow though. But if he could do it, and do a good job, should he?

http://www.geocities.com/xenogears23/Jokersinsigmgs.jpg

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you." - Katharine Hepburn

• SWR Staff - Executive
Sure he could, either refilm footage or have it digitally recreated. But that would probably be a lot of changes.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Lucas might botch it up somehow though. But if he could do it, and do a good job, should he?

I'm not really for editing the OT at all. I have mixed feelings about such a retouching of movies. A "director's cut" is one thing, but changing whole scenes and visual effects? Editing the OT is like as a famous painter would take his best selled picture and put some extra flowers in the background just to make it look better or something.

So I think he shouldn't. If he is not satified, well let him make a TV-novel and expand the SW universe with his all the cool ideas and effects.

As for the effects:

I'm sure all of you have seen the legendary Clash of the Titans atleast a dozens of times. That movie is like a mausoleum for Ray Harryhausen, who made all the breath taking stop motion effects in it. He was a living legend those days (and is today among animators). I've see the Valley of Gwangi where he animates a small horse at the start. That's really was awesome and precise work. His work was that insipred the animators and designers of Jurassic Park.

So are those effects lame today? Could be. But anybody who would want to delete Harryhausen's animations should be shot at the place.

These movies must be remained this way.

As for the OT, it's almost the same thing. I loved to see the forced creativity in the effects. Why is it better now as you know (and SEE too, btw.) that is computer rendered? And how lame will it look like after another 20 years.

Yes Harryhausen was a genius and I still love his animations. While I slightly going to dislike computer animations in movies. When I remember these animated droids seen in the Mos Eisley scene on the streets in the special edition of star wars ( I won´t call it "A new hope" ;) ), these are very lame. :?

Have you all recognised these cups hanging on the left side of the bar? One of these later was a cup in the kitchen scene on the skywalker ranch. And one of them became much later in the "Empire strikes back" the head of bountyhunter IG88. :D

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Editing the OT is like as a famous painter would take his best selled picture and put some extra flowers in the background just to make it look better or something.

That's an interesting point La Forge 8)

Point accepted, I wouldn't like Dali as much with tulips in the background...

"If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I brought all three.

I thought they'd only be out for a limited time so I brought them as quickly as I could.....I wish I'd waited a month or so cause over christmas Wal~mart reduced the price from $24.95 (cdn) to $18.95 I could've save myself at least $10 (mainly cause I'd also get 10% discount for working there)

Personally I'm glad I got them since I'm young enough that I never saw the original theatrical releases.

I guess I don't feel as jaded toward Lucas as some of you since I haven't wasted as much money on videos/DVDs and whatever else.

• 1 year later...
Has anybody watched the fanmade "Star Wars Revisited" yet? Is it worth to download it? That guy made lots of changes on the movie and reedited lots of stuff, fe. Han shoots first again :) . But as far as I´ve discovered he also kept some of the sillier elements, like the CGI aliens and robots in the cantina and on the streets of Mos Eisley. :?

Has anybody watched the fanmade "Star Wars Revisited" yet? Is it worth to download it? That guy made lots of changes on the movie and reedited lots of stuff, fe. Han shoots first again :) . But as far as I´ve discovered he also kept some of the sillier elements, like the CGI aliens and robots in the cantina and on the streets of Mos Eisley. :?

That looks great. I like the new Death Star scenes from the trailer.

http://www.geocities.com/xenogears23/Jokersinsigmgs.jpg

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you." - Katharine Hepburn

That mentioned scene lets me argue about if that guy doesn´t try to make another re-edit. Which I don´t need. I want a remastered version of the original Star Wars movie without any CGI and with polished graphics and state of the art sound, like the SE has. Nothing more.

I also don´t get why there´s a need for a new Death Star. Even GL didn´t felt that it was necessary in any way.