Superweapons

Master_Xan

Okay, I finally got bored enough to look up the eye of Palpatine and figure out what it was... Sounds like a supreme let-down... Honestly, that does not count as a super weapon if all it does is exactly what an SD can do... What an idiotic idea... Yeash!

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd define it a weapon that has a huge advantage over your opponent in some form, whether it be firepower, range, accuracy (as a combined feature) or accesability to the target.

And finally, there's the awe and fear factor.

This is how I would define a superweapon. Any weapon with far superior attributes then regular, conventional weapons. They are also something extremely dangerous to the opposing side, either because of tactical advantage, the fear they cause, or just shear firepower. The DS was because of fear and firepower, I'd put Corran Horn (or any of the other 'superweapon' jedi, like Jacen Solo) as being superweapons based upon tactical advantage or perhaps fear. Just look at the amount of respect the YV had for Ganner after his battle.

Relating to today, the nuclear missile was first a superweapon because of firepower and tactical advantage, but quickly took the cake for fear as well. Now its not as much a superweapon based on power (conventional warheads are much stronger then they were back in WWII), but maintains its tactical advantages and ability to inspire fear. Any kind of efficient orbital weapons platform would also be a superweapon, based upon fear, tactical advantage, and its superiority to anything an enemy would have. And if it was really powerful, then it would have every single thing required to be an uberweapon! :lol:

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

ZOMG!
Zo my gosh? :?

I've been missing out on a SUPERWEAPON descussion?!
No, we've been having a discussion on superweapons. :twisted:

So basic requirements for superweapon status seems to be anything that can cause more damage/destruction than conventional weapons? Okay, the point seems rather moot, though, when you consider the sheer amount of superweapons available throughout Star Wars continuity. Further, we have to come up with something a bit more specific. For instance, the Death Stars were clearly superweapons, as were the Eclipses and the Galaxy Gun, but what about the near-superweapons?

It seems we've decided Eye of Palpatine does not count since it's primary mission only involved a single objective and rather than using sheer force via firepower, it uses massive amounts of ground troops. Understood, but does that mean a superweapon has to include sheer firepower? For instance, what about the World Devastators? It seems that most consider them superweapons, but at what limit or to what extent?

So the question remains: what defines a superweapon as such, and how do we categorize them?

Oh, and the whole Jedi 'superweapon' thing, that was a sarcastic remark regarding Corran Horn's apparent invincibility and my distaste for Stackpole's writing... :roll: I didn't truly mean that Jedi should be categorized as superweapons. :roll:

"Death" #1

Corran: I must be dying, I can smell the brandy from my father's feuneral.

Wedge: The explosion threw you into a crate of Wyrens reserve. Go spend some time in a Bacta Tank.

Death #2

-Starfighter crashes into a tower on Coruscant and is captured by Imperial Intel.

Death #3

Corran: I must be dying, I can see one of my dead squadron mates.

Bror Jace: I didn't die you idiot, I faked my death.

Death #4

-Rogue squadron is supposedly destroyed at Destina. Infiltrates Krennal's capital world posting as Imperial pilots.

Death #5

Corran: I must be dying, I can feel my body floating. Am I going to turn into one of those ghost jedi with my body dissapearing?

Ganner: I'm using the force to levitate you to the ship. Go spend some time in a Bacta Tank.

Death #6

-uh... was there a number six? I don't think that battle with Shaedo Shai counted as one. :? hmm...

Moving on.

World Devastators could, in time, take out a planet. In the process creating larger fleets and forces for assaulting the next target.

Heck the things ate Star Destroyers and Mon Cal Cruisers just as an appetizer.

(Can't believe they killed off Mon Remonda out of scene.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_machine

Oh, and the whole Jedi 'superweapon' thing, that was a sarcastic remark regarding Corran Horn's apparent invincibility and my distaste for Stackpole's writing... :roll: I didn't truly mean that Jedi should be categorized as superweapons. :roll:

I know it wasn't serious... its sort of becoming a running gag in my head, since I thought of the scene from NJO with Ganner. :D

Understood, but does that mean a superweapon has to include sheer firepower?

I don't think it's a matter of sheer firepower, but rather destructive ability. How much can it destroy and how quickly can it do it? Those are the variables we need to define.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

He does tend to get over-dramatic occassionally and attempt to make you think he'll kill a 'safe' character... Though Elogos's death was pretty awesome, you must admit... As was the destruction of Ithor :twisted:

12/14/07

I don't think it's a matter of sheer firepower, but rather destructive ability. How much can it destroy and how quickly can it do it? Those are the variables we need to define.
Okay, so a World Devastator can...devastate a planet, but so can an Imperial-class Star Destroyer (reference Base Delta Zero ). It may take a little bit of time, but World Devastators aren't exactly the fastest things on the market either.

He does tend to get over-dramatic occassionally and attempt to make you think he'll kill a 'safe' character... Though Elogos's death was pretty awesome, you must admit... As was the destruction of Ithor :twisted:

What part of death is awesome? 8O

*Sigh* Okay, no turning this into a pschological/ ethical debate. Everyone agree? *Looks around through telescope for hands* Okay, I see a few hands raised in other parts of the world. I don't know if they're yours or not, but we're all going to act like they were...

I just happen to be a creative sadist... BS is the general sadist, but I really like how grotesque the idea is of taking someone else (Your enemy)'s skeleton, plating it in gold, silver, and all sorts of pretty things to make it a beautiful and priceless mockery of what it was in life before sending it to your enemy to sicken them and strike fear into their hearts... Plus I've always kind of wondered what happens when you die, seeing as the only people who know are in no condition to let anyone know what happens...

12/14/07

*Sigh* Okay, no turning this into a pschological/ ethical debate. Everyone agree? *Looks around through telescope for hands* Okay, I see a few hands raised in other parts of the world. I don't know if they're yours or not, but we're all going to act like they were...

I just happen to be a creative sadist... BS is the general sadist, but I really like how grotesque the idea is of taking someone else (Your enemy)'s skeleton, plating it in gold, silver, and all sorts of pretty things to make it a beautiful and priceless mockery of what it was in life before sending it to your enemy to sicken them and strike fear into their hearts...

I got what you were saying, Tofu, I was just giving you a hard time. :roll:

Plus I've always kind of wondered what happens when you die, seeing as the only people who know are in no condition to let anyone know what happens.
St. Peter's pretty laid back (unless you're not Catholic...I'm not :oops: ) and pretty much let's in anyone, to Gabriel's distate. They get into a lot of fights over who should be in charge of the gate, Gabriel because he's head of security or Pete because he's got the keys. Jesus usually calms them down, but sometimes they have to call people like Moses (we call him Mose) in to part them. Everyone wears white or green robes and they have kickball competitions between them to see who gets first dibs at the taco bar on Tuesday evenings. I guess the only complaint are the services Jesus gives on Sunday mornings because they take...well, an eternity.

Okay, so a World Devastator can...devastate a planet, but so can an Imperial-class Star Destroyer (reference Base Delta Zero ). It may take a little bit of time, but World Devastators aren't exactly the fastest things on the market either.

Yes but despite whatever a Fleet (A large fleet) of Star Destroyers does, the planet is still there after a Base Delta Zero Operaton.

Trooper1: The Covie bastards are glassing the planet!

Trooper2: What?

Trooper1: Uhh... I mean... The Imperials are carrying out a base delta zero op!

Trooper2: Listen don't start making up codes you don't even know just because the imps are in orbit.

:roll:

Devastators make the planet gone. :twisted: Conventional weapons also seemed to have little effect on them as it'd just suck up any attacking starships.

I'd class that as a super weapon, even if at the lower end of the spectrum.

Devastators make the planet gone.

Make the planet disappear? :roll:

Ugh, me Defender_16, me make food gone when me eat. Me like eat food, good.

I didn't realize World Devastators made worlds disappear. I thought they merely ate the crust and whatever lay on the crust and reused it for starships and fighters, leaving the planet a desolate rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Devastator

Function

They would land on the surface of a planet, and the tractor beams would literally tear the planet beneath them apart, and then consume it, thus making them "planet killers".

The deconstruction of the planet and its resources would then be used for both fuel for the Devastator and for manufacturing starships, starfighters, and droids over a period of a few months. Eventually the planet would become a debris field. These machines' shields were so strong that not even concentrated turbolaser fire couldn't penetrate them, and most times any conflict with another enemy ship would result in the consumption of that ship by the World Devastator.

There's a lot of metal to be found in a planet besides the crust. Heck, the interior is already molten for most planets, it just saves the Imperials a step. :lol:

A debris field... of gravel.

"There's nothing but gravel out here."

Plus I've always kind of wondered what happens when you die, seeing as the only people who know are in no condition to let anyone know what happens...

Ooo, pick me pick me! I know! Er, wait a minute... *rereads the part about not making this a philisophical/ethical discussion, decides this applies to religion as well, and shuts up*

I think we forgot a superweapon... unless somebody mentioned it and I missed it, the Star Forge from KotOR. I'd count that as a superweapon; no direct firepower but the ability to mass produce ships by harnessing the power of a star should still count.

Edited by Master_Xan

There is not "Sun Forge". There was a "Star Forge" in KotOR though. :D But yes, I would agree that could be a superweapon.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

There is not "Sun Forge".

You mean there is not a sun forge? :twisted: Honestly, right after SOCL BEAKed D16 for the exact same thing...

I don't really see the Star Forge as a Super Weapon... It cranks out ships very well, sure, but it was destroyed by what, three or four Republic Cruisers? Come on! A Super Weapon has to be hard to destroy in my book... Of course, then the Death Stars don't exactly count, now do they? :lol:

12/14/07

Its probably as much a superweapon as the Eye of Palpatine, I suppose. But imagine if they had made it into a giant laser, aka Death Star... with a star for an energy source, it would be a true "death star", and would have the power to fire its primary weapon a lot faster... or maybe have a lower setting to sweep back and forth, destroying fighters... :twisted:

There is not "Sun Forge".

You mean there is not a sun forge? :twisted:

Actually I meant to say, "There is no "Sun Forge". Thanks for pointing that out Tofu.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Its probably as much a superweapon as the Eye of Palpatine, I suppose. But imagine if they had made it into a giant laser, aka Death Star... with a star for an energy source, it would be a true "death star", and would have the power to fire its primary weapon a lot faster... or maybe have a lower setting to sweep back and forth, destroying fighters... :twisted:

... Quick question: How the f*** do you intend to move a star? It would work very well as a headquarters location, on the other hand...

12/14/07

Most systems have a star in them, you only have to move the 'Real Death Star', not the entire star itself. And if not, then you could still guarentee that the enemy would come to you if this thing could do both; that is, be a giant factory and have a giant superlaser powered by a star.