Both?

Johngalt137

Let me open this by saying, I know next to nothing about computer programming, so really all I'm asking is whether or not this would be possible. Could I copy all my rebellion files to another drive, and then use the Reloaded TC on only the copy to have both the original rebellion and Reloaded?

Second, this is way out there (may not belong on this board), but you know the ground invasions in rebellion. How there isn't any....well....assualt? I also have Galactic battlegrounds, and I am proficient enough to say, assault a planet, save the game, then set up the exact same assault on battlegrounds with the map editor. Then play it out against the AI. Now I am wondering if I could insert a pause between the assault and the record of who won, then with....say....RebEd, change manually who won and by how much based on the outcome of galactic battlegrounds assault. I don't necesarily want to do it automatically I just want to be able to do it, even if I have to go in and change it every single assault.

First, Reloaded doesn't yet exist. Second, I'd wager a guess that once Reloaded is finished, you'll be able to swap between it and the original, similar to how you can restore the original settings using RebEd.

As for your second thought, if you get into orbit, you can pause the game (or save and quit). As for modifying the outcome... you'd have to use an editor to modify the saved game file. Meaning you'd need to be able to hex edit, something I know next to nothing about.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

But if I wanted to have both exist in seperate places on my computer simultaneously am I just out of luck? I suppose its more of a TC question. If I commited the computer space could I keep both a normal and a TC-ed version on my computer simultaneously in say different drives.

You could copy/paste the files, then modify one and leave the other unmodified. Most games can't operate like this, as the copied files can't be run properly... something to do with registry information and other such data that isn't copied. However, many older games could be used like this, as they relied less upon the registry and other data areas. Rebellion may be old enough to work in this manner, but I'm not sure. The only way to find out would be to try it.

Otherwise, you can install it on different hard drives, but only if each has its own operating system. Reason being that you would need to boot the computer from the install drive, otherwise it won't contain the necessary registry info to run the game from its location. And you can't install two copies, so the other drive can't be the one running or the game detects its previous install.

Hope that helps.

It's possible that you could construct two registry files *.reg for each directory and by double clicking the *.reg file for the directory you wish to you would overwrite the Star Wars Rebellion registry branch to operate between the mod or tc.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Personally, I avoid messing with the registry. Partially because its complicated, partially because there are so many duplicates of most things in there that I invariably miss one, partially because if I screw up it can do nasty things to my computer, and partially because I can usually get the same results in another way. Plus it takes awhile and I'm lazy. With a game like this, it wouldn't be too bad, but I'd stay out of the Windows OS entries almost as if they contained the plague.

But Budious is correct, you could certainly do that. I should have thought of it myself. *smacks forehead*