G4 Doesn't Know What It's Talking About

Darth_Rob

Alright, so I was at my gfs house the other day. I was flicking through the channels and found G4 (the gamers channel) on demand. One of the programs was a history of Star Wars video games. Of course I was sold! So they start talking about all the NES and SNES games, and eventually X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Then they say "and then LucasArts made a few terrible games" or something to that affect. They then mentioned Rebellion, saying it was a terrible game and yada yada yada. I was sooo pissed off! I couldn't believe that they would berate my favorite Star Wars video game!!! They then went on to praise Galaxies, and I just shook my head in sorrow.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

you have to take such "journelism" with a grain of salt. it all depends on who's oppion they whre asking about the games. of course it wasn't any of us and probably a bunch of 15 year olds who play galaxies like their life depends on it. i mean ask enough people and someone will tell you barry manilow was the best singer in the world

I have seen that episode before, its not that they call it crappy, it’s just that it did not sell very good. So from a sales point of view it was kind of a flop. I have loved star wars all my life and I never heard of rebellion till Mith came to my school and brought it with him around 2001 ish. Once I played it I got hooked. It’s a game that I think works well with dedicated star wars fans but for most it’s just too confusing with a lot of clicking.

I think the lack of action screwed it over- and Mad, if you send a complaint, that thing will get picked apart in a heart beat. Imagine if someone on "Attack of the Show" or something found this... We would get the living daylights berated out of ourselves for being such huge geeks :roll::lol: (*Note: If any G4 programs do find this and chose to cast us in a bad light, be warned- we shall send forth Z00t to deal with you! :twisted: )

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

It's not worth the time it would take to write the nasty letter. Despite how fun it would be, people like that ignore us anyway. It all matters what the big-name editors and reviewers think of the game, not what the actuall players think. Unless the game sells better then sliced bread (*cough* Starcraft is almost TEN YEARS OLD and is still stocked in all stores *cough*). So if you sent them a letter, they'd ignore you. If you're lucky, some guy would write you a generic letter, apologizing for your dissatisfaction with their show.

Besides, everyone knows that the general gaming market is far to dumb or too impatient to learn how to play Rebellion. In my mind, anyone who likes the game automatically gets a higher IQ, simply because they are both smart enough to think about a game instead of just button mashing, and capable of said thinking for a long enough period of time to figure things out, instead of giving up after they get crushed by the computer their first game. Don't get me wrong, games like Halo and GTA are definately fun, but they also represent the lowest intelligence of all gaming. Rebellion, Rainbow Six, Black&White and other such games manage to actually engage the brain and remain fun, and are thus far superior games because of it, even if it does hurt their sales.

(Sidenote: The best games are like the Rainbow Six series, which allow for creative thinking, require at least some thought, but are still easy enough for the less-intelligent amoung us. That way its fun, engaging, and sells well. Even if its not the best game, it becomes a better community because it allows for the number of players and the funding needed to improve, addon, and so forth.)

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Guest Scathane
I agree with Xan to a large degree. Moreover, a lot of people main criticism against Rebellion was it's lack of graphic quality. Although I must admit I would like to have seen it better, graphic quality is often used to guise poor gameplay, imho...

You have to understand something else. EaW is coming out, and G4 would hate to be responsible for any decrease in demand for it by giving praise to a game that is both similar and superior to EaW. Also you have to consider the fact that Galaxies costs the full price of a new game, and requires additional payments, and therefore they are going to praise it more because 1. Lucas Arts sponsors them (Not sure so don't quote me) or 2. They want to be on LucasArts' good side. Get the gist of what I'm saying?
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Rebellion, in my mind, is an inferior game compared to some of the other games they've produced. From a graphical, musical, and pure entertainment value, it falls behind other games. Its redeeming quality is that think-to-succeed thing that most good strategy games have, but analyzing it piece for piece, and I think it falls rather short.

So why am I, and a bunch of other people, here rather than on another game forum? Obviously the modability of the game is great, but thats not all. Despite its flaws, we like the game because it suits our personal tastes. That doesn't make it a good game, its just one that we like. Sort of like how some people like a McDonald's hamburger over a T-bone steak. The steak is better in quality, flavor, etc, but some people just really like a hamburger.

We're a niche crowd. We find something that appeals to us and we stick with it, no matter how crappy it is. Coming from a Firefly fan, I know what its like to be in that situation :wink:

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

i'm not sure about other players but for me any game i can finish in less then a month is a waste of cash IMHO. most PS2 games i hire. usually finish them befoire i have to take em back. boring. a few pc games i've bought i've been able to beat in a week or so and they are just as boring. the game play may be great but if it's easy to beat it's a waste. most games have little rplay value because it's the same thing over and over with the enemy launching the same attacks all the time.

games like rebellion that are a bitch to beat at first and the AI changes it's point of attack every time you play it. especially when playing as the empire because the rebs can move about so freely. for me that makes the game fresh and new everytime. sure graphics may not be the best in th world but for a poor bugger like me who never has the latest and greatest pc i can never use the best graphics settings anyway lol

AdmiralToguroAni wrote:

... Obviously the modability of the game is great, but ...

I wouldn't say "great", do-able but not great. Rebellion wasn't built with modability in mind. It had to be "back door engineered", whereas EaW has modability from the get-go (to enhance long term game play).

And I have to agree on the capitalist scheme regarding Lucas Arts: down play the previous and outdated, and praise/push the new and modern ($$$$).

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

They can push/praise the new and modern all they want, it's not going to get me to buy a $50 game right when it comes out when I can wait a year or two and get it for half price or less. It's the instant gratification mentality that gets sooo many people into financial troubles that I'm trying to avoid. I can wait to buy EaW, and if the forum as a whole decides it's not that great, I may just not buy it.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I agree, I'll never pay $50 for a game, ANY game. That's simply too much to pay, and when you take into account the huge price cuts after a year or two, it REALLY becomes too much to pay.

To comment on Ad. Toguro, I don't really think Rebellion is a niche game, but that's probably because I get more enjoyment out of its genre (strategy games) then I do out of most because of the replay value and tactical maneuvers. And I don't know what you're talking about, Rebellion's got some catchy music... :roll:

. Coming from a Firefly fan, I know what its like to be in that situation

I too am a Firefly fan. Great stuff, great stuff.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

I was actually surprised that they failed to mention EaW. The last game they mentioned was Knights of the Republic. But I'm sure that they did not want to piss of LucasArts, so they pushed the freaken pay-per-month game dammit!

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

There used to be a cool channel called TechTV... then G4 bought it, called it G4TechTv for a while and killed all the cool shows and fired all the knowledgeable hosts... then it sucked... so they took the "TechTV" out and called it just G4 again. End result... G4 moved from a sucky channel 148 to a sucky channel 70 on my cable box and I lost a great channel that used to be half decent. Thanks G4!

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Rebellion is a kind of game which can only really be appreciated by someone willing to take the time to learn how to play it. Honestly when i first got it (in a pack with Force Commander) it was quickly cast aside due to the hard learning phase but a few weeks later i thought "what the hell!" And juststarted it up and started a new game... The following week was one of intense and most enjoyable gaming. The fact that the game can be easily modded is just a plus.

Always look at the soul of a game and not only its graphics.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Rebellion was the one of the first computer games I played that wasn't a DOS based game. I can remember playing the old LOTR rpg's that made you come up w/ your own "pictures". When I started playing Rebellion I was so in awe of the game in general that I gave ZERO thought to the graphics. I was hooked from day 1. I'll still be playing it when I'm 40, I'm sure. Maybe by then I'll be able to mod the game myself.....

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

People don't just rap on this game because of the graphics. The steep learning curve and the utter lack of an in-game tutorial knocks it down a few points. If graphics were everything, Final Fantasy VII wouldn't be such a hit.

The game is repetitive. I play the game on hard mode, and its always the same thing. The rebs may sabotage another planet's defenses or the Empire may attack a different planet, but its always the same thing: Luke and Han blow up whatever's floating over Coruscant, supershipyard in the rim, invade Coruscant, win. No story worth speaking of, which while some people prefer no story, I think I can say that the majority do prefer a story.

I run and play several of those nerdy text based RPGs, so graphics aren't all that important to me. In fact, I actually appreciate all the old fashioned artwork in Rebellion. Still, the game is appealing only to the select group of people who like this kind of game. Heck, look at chess. There are video games out there that require more strategy than chess, have better graphics, music, and storyline than chess, yet people still play chess because there's something about it that they enjoy. We're sorta like that

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

Personally I find that I can really appreciate the fact that someone had to sit down and mouse-make each individual pixel in almost every shot you see... At least I think so- don't tell me if I'm wrong, you'll ruin the magic!

I started a game or two on easy a long time ago when I was knee high and hated it with a passion. Fairly recently (last Summer) I started a game and got hooked to it... When school returned it was a daily torture and I snuck into my sister's room to play until midnight almost every night... Yeah, kind of scary. I'm not nerely as obsessed anymore (Haven't played it in a while- been rather busy... And cold- Its in the 30s down here all of a sudden!)... Anyway that is my tale of Rebellion hooking-ness. Also, I always enjoyed the fact that most older games couldn't rely on graphics and thus were forced to: *Ghasp* develope good plots and gameplay that weren't toned down for the stupid. For instance, X-wing is one of my favourite (Oh my gosh, you people have my spelling words the British way, now!) games. It has a great plot, difficult but not impossible gameplay, ect. Rebellion is the same way... I'm just giving it a break for the moment.

12/14/07

While having a good story is good to a game it can also be the worst possible thing. For instance FFVII has a great storyline, and takes a long time to finish. Other games will have a good or decent storyline and take about a day to finish. These games are terrible because 1. Linear gameplay (Storyline) and 2. You finish them so fast that you remember everything perfectly, and since you just beat the game you are not so eager to go back and start again. FFVII is great in that it requires hours of gameplay, and so you are left remembering the begining of the game only fairly well, etc. So there are pros to having a story, but when it isn't played out right it will fail.

Secondly, I couldn't imagine playing the default Rebellion with a storyline... It would completely ruin the freedom of playing the game your way because in having certain objectives that advance the plot you lose a lot of gameplay mobility... So yeah, for this kind of game I prefer no storyline.

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

One of my favourtie games (GAH! BRITS MAKING ME SAY FAVOURITE AGAIN!) with a storyline is Skies of Arcadia- very long game, lot's of leveling up, and a very good story line that includes some semi-heart-warming self-sacrifice and contradictions and turmoil and the like...

12/14/07