SWReditor.exe (alternative to rebed)

budious

I was digging through the dark corners of the internet... and found something interesting that had been long since swept under the carpet. After acquiring a russian proxy server to obtain the file from the hostile web server that did not like non-russian networks, I found a rather interesting Rebellion Editor I had never heard of before. Apparently it was written in 2001 by Alakanorran D. Zordrack with Delphi 6. It simply appears to be a unit stat editor, no card imports, etc... but I had not seen this mentioned before so just thought I'd post it. Edited by budious

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

NM... I may have spoke too soon... appears it was mentioned here at least once before.

http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postp50518.html&highlight=swreditor#50518

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

SWRE was the ancestor of RebEd, it was a command line based program. RebEd was developed around 1998, v.26 was sometime in 1999 I think. This is dated as 2001 and uses a simple GUI.

Its all in the download section. SWRE came first as a command line, then Rebed came, then someone was nice enough to create a GUI for SWRE. All of this is explained and hosted on the download forums. I've never used SWRE, but I think theres a couple things it can do that Rebed can't, though I'm not sure what that is.
Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

I actually had found SWRE long before I knew RebEd (or these boards) existed. RebEd is a superior progam, however SWRE is a little easier to work with initially. If I remember correctly, it approaches stat editing differently, and I seem to recall it doing a few things RebEd couldn't do. If you're lucky, I'll be motivated to go check it out, seeing as how I have a copy around here somewhere...

EDIT: Alright, went back and played around. Here's the synopsis:

RebEd is superior in almost every way. Its capable of changing the research requirements, editing a few things SWRE can't (such as the galaxy map), has the card system, can make characters not betray their side, offers the mass alteration feature for ships, and can be more easily used with mods. Very important, you can edit the range of a ships weapons. To name a few.

However, SWRE does do a few things RebEd can't (!! FUTURE features, perhaps?!!) This includes making the character available at start (unless the 'won't betray' in RebEd does this as well), and it also allows for the option of directly editing the AI value of a unit. This could be a very good feature to have in RebEd...

I also feel compelled to mention another little-known gem, the Fast Builder, possible archive name 'swr-fast', built by Tywyll. He essentially halved the maintainance and mineral costs of everything in the game for both sides, but also included several .bat files to quickly and efficiently switch between settings. Simply run the 'first.bat' file to record the original settings, then the 'fast.bat' file to make everything take less time. This was my staple before I found these boards, as I could quickly switch between the original and the modified settings, and by tinkering with the 'first.bat' file and its companion, 'original.bat', I essentually created my own card system. I'd edit things with SWRE, then run my copied/renamed first/original.bat combo to record my changes while still retaining the ability to restore defaults or put back another set of changes.

Not as streamlined as RebEd, but it worked well and had fewer things that could go wrong... I've even used my old system from time to time when I wanted to save all my settings into one file instead of having to save bunches of cards (I can't seem to get the global save/load features to work very reliably in RebEd).

Edited by Master_Xan

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

SWRE is a little finicky with saving. Make sure its in the same folder as your rebexe file, and make sure you save after modifying each thing (as in, if you change the values for ISD's, you must SAVE THOSE MODIFICATIONS before changing or viewing any other ship's stats).

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"