The Muhammad Cartoon issue

Defender_16

Hehe, we watched that movie in World History this year... "Why a spoon? Why not a knife?" "Because its dull and it'll hurt more, you twit!" :lol: As far as Anne Frank and such, I know who she and Hitler are, I merely meant that I hadn't seen this cartoon you mentioned- Contrary to popular belief I'm a straight A student and not stupid.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defender_16 wrote:

...( Hmm... is anyone else starting to get the creeping sensation of a massive Holy war approaching? :( )

Scathane wrote:

... Well, I don't think it's inevitable yet...

The NEW 21st Century Crusades, has a strange ring to it. With (certain) muslims burning the embassies of countries (note: it's the NEWSPAPERS not the GOVERNMENT) for the printing of Mohammed cartoons, it's only going to be a matter of time before some Europeans start burning Muslim country embassies. Other muslims (from what I've heard and read), think the whole thing it being blown WAY out of proportion.

Part of the problem as I see it, is there is NOT anyone person or group to speak for ALL muslims. There are so many imans, clerics, etc. that are in charge of their little "fiefdoms", they are want to be seen as the holiest smartest cleric. One says "kill all the infidels", while another says "boycott Europe", and yet another says "forget about it (it's not worth the hassle; it's only a cartoon for Allah's sake)". It seems the only way to "deal" with all of the imans & clerics is to have "aggressive negotiations" with certain muslim governments. (On a side note: I read that Lebanon-a muslim country, is accusing Iran-a muslim country, of printing/planting mohammed cartoons in Beirut to spark riots. Some European embassies in Beirut were torched).

Personally I don't think a (holy) war will settle anything. But, if people can't learn to tolerate others (and NOT take everything personally. It's always a few bad apples that spoil the bunch) or at least try, then things will just get crazier until someone loses it. If it comes to "them" or "us", I say let "them" die for their cause and I'll help them along :twisted:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Guest Scathane
...note: it's the NEWSPAPERS not the GOVERNMENT...
Quite true... and since newspapers are independent, you technically cannot ask a government to apologize for stuff a newspaper states...

Other muslims (from what I've heard and read), think the whole thing it being blown WAY out of proportion.
As do I...

Personally I don't think a (holy) war will settle anything.
Neither do I...

If it comes to "them" or "us", I say let "them" die for their cause and I'll help them along :twisted:
Which is exactly the line of thinking that drives muslims around the world to - say - burning embassies...

I was looking for that quote for my post. Glad you had it Def16 :D
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards die for their country."

- George S. Patton, General

Actually, if you want to get into the butterfly effect, maybe some poor bastard did because as a direct result of his being shot, that soldier had to reload at a critical time, was killed, and never had the chance to develop an increadibally powerful warhead to destroy the entire other side :D ... Just to be a jackass, as usual... Though it is still a great quote...

12/14/07

• SWR Staff - Executive

To bring us back to this topic..

I tend to agree with this opinion piece

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucac/20060209/cm_ucac/calvinandhobbesandmuhammad

In order to express their displeasure with the idea that Muslims are violent, thousands of Muslims around the world engaged in rioting, arson, mob savagery, flag-burning, murder and mayhem, among other peaceful acts of nonviolence.

Muslims are the only people who make feminists seem laid-back.

The little darlings brandish placards with typical Religion of Peace slogans, such as: "Behead Those Who Insult Islam," "Europe, you will pay, extermination is on the way" and "Butcher those who mock Islam." They warn Europe of their own impending 9/11 with signs that say: "Europe: Your 9/11 will come" -- which is ironic, because they almost had me convinced the Jews were behind the 9/11 attack.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

To bring us back to this topic..

I tend to agree with this opinion piece

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucac/20060209/cm_ucac/calvinandhobbesandmuhammad

I tend to broadly agree with roughly what that article is on about, like the destruction of those two Buddhist stutues by the Taliban, which were a priceless legacy of ancient civilization, but given even the Iranians viewed the Taliban as fanatics, I think we can safely assume that they are. I'm struggling to see any other faith in the world today yelling and shouting so loudly about this or that in the faith's name as if it agrieved or wronged by this or that, as if everybody else has to tip toe around it adjusting their way of life and societies to suit Islam. I can't recall the last time Buddhists took to the streets waving banners in protest because someone made a saterical cartoon of Lord Buddha.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

I can actually recall one time a moron in my class said something about Buddhists invading a city and killing everyone in the name of Buddah... Had too slap the little moron for it... And by *slap* I mean knock out a couple of teeth :twisted:

12/14/07

I'm getting to the point where I think ALL religions need to be done away with. And that's saying something. I was raised a Mormon. I haven't attended in a year, but when you grow up w/ that set of beliefs, some of them have a tendancy to die hard.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I can actually recall one time a moron in my class said something about Buddhists invading a city and killing everyone in the name of Buddah... Had too slap the little moron for it... And by *slap* I mean knock out a couple of teeth :twisted:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/liquidbrilliant/mrm.jpg

http://www.tshirthell.com/muhammad.htm

http://www.shopmetrospy.com/cgi-bin/sc-v4/shopmecprod2.pl?client=shopmetro&catid=54&PRID=361

Makes me want to order a few of each... would make great gifts.

Ohh... and sorry if this breaks a forum rule or something... LOL

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/mohacondom2.jpg

Mohammed Meatmaster Condoms - Have A Porking Good Time.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

... Why do I have a feeling that Evaders is going to be showing up, soon? I still can't help but to feel that they're being egged on. I mean, what if a bunch of people were going around into churches of whatever faith you are and, say, scribbling lude language on the empty pages at the beginning and end of the church bibles? THis is essentially the equivelant of what showing a drawing of Muhamod is, IMHO. I mean that might be more of an offense than it is to them, but then we go out egging them on like this- it just isn't the nicest of things to do at any rate. Can't we all just get along without having to kill or poke fun? :( Edited by DarthTofu

12/14/07

... Why do I have a feeling that Ecaders is going to be showing up, soon? I still can't help but to feel that they're being egged on. I mean, what if a bunch of people were going around into churches of whatever faith you are and, say, scribbling lude language on the empty pages at the beginning and end of the church bibles? THis is essentially the equivelant of what showing a drawing of Muhamod is, IMHO. I mean that might be more of an offense than it is to them, but then we go out egging them on like this- it just isn't the nicest of things to do at any rate. Can't we all just get along without having to kill or poke fun? :(

Because it's something that is taught in Elementary school in the United States... unfortunately, these religious nutheads just build mosques and educate their sons with religous hatred, the daughters get wrapped in carpet and crammed away. Part of growing up and going to school taught us that people only do things that know piss us off... if it's little things that can be ignored, as soon as they see we don't respond to it, it looses the fun and they stop doing it. Same with this muhammed crap...

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

Guest Scathane

Although I do agree that freedom of speech is paramount, I do feel that the cartoon you hotlinked is rather irrelevant and pointless, budious.

The cartoons in the worldwide news are aimed, imho, at mocking muslim terrorists rather than muslims in general. Apart from thinking that freedom of speech is important, this would be my most important objection to the protest we see now. Protesting muslims say the cartoonist offended Islam, whereas I think it's quite clear he critiqued islamists and muslim terrorists. I think that both abuse of religion for the oppression of people and terrorism can be said to be universally condemnable. For that reason, I feel the cartoonist and Jyllands-Posten were quite justified to publish the cartoons.

On then to the cartoon you chose to hotlink rather than just link to... I wonder: why did you choose to just let only that last one show? Anyway, the cartoon you hotlinked is irrelevant/misleading on three counts.

First of all, the cartoon is irrelevant in the sense that it places a terrorist or allusion thereto on a condom. Although islamists show a religious antagonism towards condoms in favor of monogamy and marital sex, it isn’t as if they would cease terrorism if we stopped using condoms, is it?

Furthermore, it is misleading in the sense one should realize that the religious anti-condom lobby isn’t unique to the Islam. It can be also be found in Christianity in general and in Roman Catholism in particular. In this sense it seems rather misleading to critique muslims only.

Lastly, negative sentiments against the use of condoms can be found in a lot of muslims, including those who do not resort to terrorism. Whether you agree with those sentiments or not is one thing, but – again – I feel it’s rather misleading to imply that terrorism is inherent to certain general religious beliefs.

Let me add one last thing, then… In view of the aforementioned arguments, I can’t see any point in creating such a cartoon than to pour oil on a fire that is almost out of control already. I agree that muslims worldwide should accept that there is such a thing as freedom of speech but I feel that it shouldn’t abused. So, If you want to address the anti-condom lobby, address it as a whole and detach it from muslim terrorism.

I hotlinked because I thought it was humorous... alot of people found the cover of Rolling Stone humorous but I took offense to Kanye West "Jesus"... I would not be a christian if Jesus was black.

I agree that the cartoons are targeted to mocking muslim terrorists. However, how many islamists do you see speak out against terrorists? The overall consenus of most islamic populations is to support the extremists. ie... the president of Iran, while I don't support a U.S. troop occupation of Iran, I will support George Bush if he decides to bomb the crap out of them. They have it coming!

I just got a kick out of the "Porking good time..."

I hotlinked because I thought it was humorous... alot of people found the cover of Rolling Stone humorous but I took offense to Kanye West "Jesus"... I would not be a christian if Jesus was black

I know nothing about the Rolling Stone issue you refer to, so I guess the final line of you post is in somehow related to the story. But the final line deeply disturbs me... :roll:

perhaps a fluffy link to enlighten me past what could be blatent racism might be in order dude! :)

It's not racism. It's a poke at the fact that Jesus is Jewish, how many black jews do you know?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/24/people.kanyewest.ap/index.html

Jesus would have to be Arab or black, I think. He wouldn't be the tall white guy we see plastered all over the place. People of African descent were in the middle east at the time, and many of them weren't slaves, so Jesus could be black. More likely he was Arab, however, since that would put him in the right position to be a charismatic leader.

Here's a wiki entry on it. Its pretty informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_Jesus

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

See the freedom everyone has to define Jesus as how they picture them? Why the double standard with islam and muhammed?

It's not racism. It's a poke at the fact that Jesus is Jewish, how many black jews do you know?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/24/people.kanyewest.ap/index.html

Thousands were evacuated from Ethiopia to Isreal during the 1980's by the Isreali's as 'one of their tribes,' or what not, but I don't know any!*

The fact that the entire Christian ethos is based on the fact that Jesus was originally a Jew doesn't enter your scope? So the quote:

I would not be a christian if Jesus was blank

Thanks for the link btw, I had forgotten how much rap singer's ego's bore me... :)

*Given I live in the UK