Creationist or Evolutionist?

DarthTofu

What should be taught?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What should be taught?

• Evolution
    • Intelligent Design
    • Both

I don't believe in any religion. Mainly becuase they are all flawed. I put my faith in science and technology. That's not to say I don't have a spiritual side tho.
http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banner_be.gif

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe in any religion. Mainly becuase they are all flawed.

Not trying to be smart (or a jerk for that matter), but I'm going to guess you don't know too much about most religions. Most people don't know squat about religion. If you are a rare person who has studied some religions, I'd still guess you don't know much about many (there are dozens of major religions, after all). It may not be that you find all religions flawed, but perhaps you simply need to look around a bit more before finding one you like.

And of course, as a Mormon I'd recommend checking us out... :wink: Though a warning for you; most websites about Mormons are waaaay out there. Best to find an actual person and ask them, the web isn't so reliable for fact-finding regarding religion. Too many heated arguments.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

As someone who HAS studied religion, I'll tell you that it is flawed. Especially Hinduism and Shinto. The major flaw is that most religions rely on an unexplainable being or beings (Hinduism has well over 500, but admittedly only 3 major ones) that create and sustain the universe. Exploration into the nature of these beings is regarded as impossible, for who could understand such a divine being?

Its flawed because you can't test it. You can't even make a deduction from other, existing evidence. We don't know that humans can't escape a black hole for example, but we can assume that, given other tests (light can't escape).

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence. Not proof by any means, but certainly evidence.

Really, though, this is all off topic. If you guys want to battle it out with religion, theres another topic called "Religion" that you can bump.

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

Montolio stoppped to consider Drizzt. He heard a shuffle at the mention of his goddess, and he took it to be an uncomfortable movement. Wanting to explore his revelation, Montolio reached insdie his chain mail and tunic and produced a pendant shaped like a unicorn's head.

"Is it not beautiful?" he pointedly asked.

Drizzt hesitated. The unicorn was perfectly crafted and marvelous in design, but the connotation of such a pendant did not sit easily with the drow. Back in Menzoberranzan Drizzt had witnessed the folly of following the commmands of deities, and he liked not at all what he had seen.

"Who is your god, drow?" Montolio asked. In all the weeks he and Drizzt had been togother, they had not really discussed religion.

"I have no god," Drizzt answered bodly, "and neither do I want one."

It was Montolio's turn to pause.

Drizzt rose and walked off a few paces.

"My people follow Lloth," he began. "She, if not the cause, is surely the continuation of their wickedness, as this Gruumsh is to the orcs, and as other gods are to other peoples. To follow a god is folly. I shall follow my heart instead."

Montolio's quiet chuckle stole the power from Drizzt's proclamation. "You have a god, Drizzt Do'Urden," he said.

"My god is my heart," Drizzt declared, turning back to him.

"As is mine."

"You named your god as Mielikki," Drizzt protested.

"And you have not found a name for your god yet," Montolio shot back. "That does not mean that you have no god. Your god is your heart, and what does your heart tell you?"

"You do not understand, Drizzt Do'Urden. You grew up among the pervsion of a deity."

"And yours is the true one?" Drizzt asked sarcastically.

"They are all true, and they are all one I fear," Montolio replied. Drizzt had to agree with Montolio's earlier observation: He did not understand.

"You view the gods as entites without," Montolio tried to explain. "You see them as physical beings trying to control our actions for their own ends, and thus you, in your stubborn independence, reject them. The gods are within, I say, whether one has named his own or not. You have followed Mielikki all your life, Drizzt. You merely never had a name to put on your heart."

I agree and disagree with you, Adm. Toguro. From a scientific standpoint, religion is flawed. But religion isn't science, and to judge it thus would be to undermine what religion fundamentally is, you would be turning it into science. I gave up a long time ago trying to justify and prove religion based upon the laws of science, not because it has to be that way, but because by the time anyone has proof of any religion, it will be far too late to make the choice to join that religion. Sometimes facts are nice, but they should not be what makes you decide for or against a religion. It should be how it makes you feel and what it teaches, not how many believers there are or how much physical evidence there is to support it.

I suppose I've probably launched a religious discussion, didn't I... alright, no more posting for me in this topic.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Bored utterly by religion...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDrAlEXZ4WUXpSj5!bgG*6Jem29uF722g**dQUNsr!UDQ5wh5ohquYoE9ovvdz1xRJCcAuA9KNS0Uh0QzTXXe0sfVcmNdHVxr7vFszrEg66RJtCGmEdXg/radicalatheism.gif

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

I don't believe in any religion. Mainly becuase they are all flawed.

Not trying to be smart (or a jerk for that matter), but I'm going to guess you don't know too much about most religions. Most people don't know squat about religion. If you are a rare person who has studied some religions, I'd still guess you don't know much about many (there are dozens of major religions, after all). It may not be that you find all religions flawed, but perhaps you simply need to look around a bit more before finding one you like.

And of course, as a Mormon I'd recommend checking us out... :wink: Though a warning for you; most websites about Mormons are waaaay out there. Best to find an actual person and ask them, the web isn't so reliable for fact-finding regarding religion. Too many heated arguments.

Emm.. not trying to offend, but isn't your religion yet another one that by it's virtue disables the rest of the planet from getting to heaven as non- subscribers? This notion has always humored me over the years given life on this planet predates the creation of thought.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif