Battlefront II

Darth_Rob

Well, I had about 15 games from my PC and PS2 that I didn't play anymore, so I traded them in and spent $51 of the $103 in credit on Battlefront II. It's alright I guess, definitely different than the first. I haven't had time to look at many of the maps, so they may still be a little on the small side. Space combat isn't what it could have been IMO.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Yeah, I hate trading in games. I just feel like Im being dooped when I trade in a bunch of games that I prob. spent $30-50 on each, and only get $100. The last time I traded in about 20 games, and got about $100 which I spent on Battlefront I and X-Men Legends. But it's still a sad, sad process to go through. :cry:

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

I just bought it early this morning. I give it a 4/5. It's an entertaining game and I'm glad I bought it, even though the third person view sucks. I just use the first person perspective and the game is a lot smoother. It's no Halo 2 and I never expected it to be, but it gets the job done well. As far as the space combat goes, there is definately room for improvement in controls and interaction with capitol ships. vehicles also could use some control improvement along with the jedi. When you get down to it, it's Battlefront 1 with jedi and space quickie slapped on! But since Battlefront was a good game to begin with, the addons don't really hindure the game any because you can choose to skip most of the space battles and choose not to use the jedi. When you do have to do space battles, just fly in to the enemys capitol ship and sabotage the thing from the inside out. I do however think that $50.00 for current generation games is a little much when the next generation is right at our doorsteps (Xbox360, PS3).
Gentlemen, behold my latest invention, the Rabbot! -- Dr. Weird

My objective analysis:

The pros of the game:

--Jedi class was added due to player demand, but was implemented in such a way as to be balanced.

--Classes seem more balanced, the dark trooper is finally fixed from BF1

--The graphics have improved somewhat

--The Campaign Mode is fun and engaging

--Stamina prevents your character from dodging for long periods of time, adding an element of strategy

--Vehicle damage to heavy infantry is fixed.

The cons of the game:

--No first-person option, and the character can obstruct your vision at times.

--AI doesn't use Jedi Heroes

--Space was done poorly. The control is awkward and few capital ships are in battle at any given time.

--Only 1 AT-AT stage

--Recycled maps

--Some classes need balance. Clone Commander is overpowered, scout trooper is underpowered. Bothan spy is underpowered.

--Too much emphasis on Episode 3. Almost feels like a plug for the DvD release

Conclusion: If you've never played Battlefront 1, rent it. If you played and enjoyed BF1, go ahead and get it, you won't be disappointed. If you played BF1 and didn't care for it, go ahead and pass it by; theres not enough new stuff to change your mind.

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

It's a good way to forget things... I mean doing instant action and making it so you can basically be a Jedi the entire time with 500% reinforcements on the levels soaks up several hours, and with the music it's kind of fun to get lost in, although I must admit that my eyes do hurt.

One of the bummers is that you can blow up parts of the capital ships but you can't blow it up entirely. Kind of like the Star Destroyer in Shadows of the Empire, I only ever did get it down to 98% health...

Also, the fact that when you pilot an interceptor, A-wing, Jedi Starfighter, or Trifighter and everything guns for you is kind of dumb. Those are the fastest ships, though terribly weak in armor, they should have special dodging capabilities, just like certain units can give health, morale, etc.

The spacefighting is kind of bland, but it is a definate improvement over aerial combat in Battlefront 1.

The damage system for vehicles is kind of cool though. The critical hit locations and what not kind of give you something to aim for, as opposed to just randomly lobbing missles, or having auto-lock like in the Battlefront 1.

As stated before the AI doesn't use Jedi, so when you are a jedi the only opposition is groups of enemies in confined spaces (Results in grenades.). Vehicles are dealt with easily enough.

Also the 'Duel of the Fates' Assault mode in Mos Eisley is crap. Especially the goofy music thrown in. And without the cool music the game isn't nearly as engaging. Also, why is Leia a character? She can't fight. I also don't think they should have had Palpatine be a leader as it kind of gives him a different personality.

And there are no longer huge explosionns from your vehicles lasers/missles so you don't get to see groups of enemies flying about like you did in the first one, which is kind of a let down for me.

Jedi and Sith characters are completely uneven. All Jedi can do is throw the lightsaber and push/pull the enemy to them. If you get Dooku, or Vader, or Anakin using Choke then it completely kills the enemy as the can't respond. And Maul can kill groups of like 16 just throwing his saber (I got a killing spree of 15 once so yeah.)

Visually it's very pretty and the cinematics are cool, but it really isn't too different from Battlefront 1. I enjoy it, but at the rate I'm going I'm going to burn out on it really fast.

I recommend renting it over a weekend as I've only had my copy for 2 days and I know everything about it, but if you must get it I suggest ordering the dual-package from LucasArts that includes Episode 3 with BF2 for like $75 or something, so you get a discount getting the pack as opposed to buying them separate.

On a side note, whats with the Gomorreans flipping around in Jabba's Palace?

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

I've played the game a little more and I honestly feel that it is a slight improvement over the original.

There is a balance issue with the hero units, however I would tend to dissagree with Aenivae on why. The Push/Pull that the Jedi have has the same effect as choke: it stunns the enemy and lests you kick his butt. My qualm is with the heroes that use blasters. I'm sorry, but they're useless and don't add anything to the game.

There are some issues with unit balance. The Clone Officer is overpowered. The Imperial Officer is underpowered. The Dark Trooper is better than it was, but friendly fire is now a serious issue, as is the rate of fire.

Map size seems to have improved somewhat. but it's really hard to tell. Sometimes the vehicles move so fast you can get across a level in no time, but if you're in a tank be prepared for a slow progression. The fact that many of the levels box you in also makes it hard to tell. They certainly aren't Battlefield 2 maps, but then Battlefront aims for a slightly different style.

I've changed my mind somewhat on space combat. It's alright. Really my only qualm is with the auto-turrets. These things could pick you off half way accross the map and hit you every time. This means you have to first focus on the frigates then land and take out their turret defences. I like the idea of player controled turrets, but the auto-turrets are just annoying.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

My objective analysis:

The pros of the game:

--Jedi class was added due to player demand, but was implemented in such a way as to be balanced.

--Classes seem more balanced, the dark trooper is finally fixed from BF1

--The graphics have improved somewhat

--The Campaign Mode is fun and engaging

--Stamina prevents your character from dodging for long periods of time, adding an element of strategy

--Vehicle damage to heavy infantry is fixed.

The cons of the game:

--No first-person option, and the character can obstruct your vision at times.

--AI doesn't use Jedi Heroes

--Space was done poorly. The control is awkward and few capital ships are in battle at any given time.

--Only 1 AT-AT stage

--Recycled maps

--Some classes need balance. Clone Commander is overpowered, scout trooper is underpowered. Bothan spy is underpowered.

--Too much emphasis on Episode 3. Almost feels like a plug for the DvD release

Conclusion: If you've never played Battlefront 1, rent it. If you played and enjoyed BF1, go ahead and get it, you won't be disappointed. If you played BF1 and didn't care for it, go ahead and pass it by; theres not enough new stuff to change your mind.

Your wrong my friend, there is a first person option and you should use it!

Gentlemen, behold my latest invention, the Rabbot! -- Dr. Weird

I am low on money at the moment so I haven't picked it up, however...

Today I was at the mall and I dropped by at EB games and got to play it for a bit( I also have the demo but I wanted to try the final product). I liked it enough to re-asure myself that I must purchase it, but at the same time I was kind of dissapointed.

I was very excited about this game coming out and I think it's a pretty good improvement over the first one, but it just dosn't seem to live up to the hype. Playing as heroes is not as fun as I thought it would be and the space battles are fun and everything but it just feels like something is missing.

And I do agree about the emphasis on episode III, was I the only one upset over the fact that they took out the Bespin levels? :(

Major letdown, the lack of bespin. But Heroes would have dominated the both Bespin levels. I mean a jedi on the bridge for the platforms blocking blasters and then runnning behind a column to regain stamina would have been really cheap. And then on cloud city, it's small enough for a Jedi to be in any one place in a matter of seconds, especially with the second story walkways to speed jump off... So yeah.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

I heard that in the development stages they did have the Bespin levels, even in some demos. Both Bespin levels where combined(somehow..), you could fight in platforms and you could fly to part of the city. But you are right about the jedis in the bridge. I saw a terrible glitch. I was playing in the tantive IV and I got Vader, I did a jump and I flew right out of the ship :o I fell and died and I had to fight to get points all over again :evil:

I'm just wondering what class most people play as. It's strange, I hated the gun the Dark Trooper had in Battlefront I, but I play as the Engineers almost all the time now and they have the same weapon. It's fantastic!

As I play the game I like it more and more. It's not the best of its class, but it is good. There are still some things I'd like to see improved.

Another thing about space combat bugs me... The Stardestroyer... Change of location for like everything. The shield generator on the bottom of the SD is now a life support system, the command deck is now the very very very VERY top of the SD, when you destroy both shield generators the shields aren't gone. The ion cannons are gone to make way for crap heavy turret. No turbolasers, only regular batteries... Also, and I'm not sure on this, but isn't the fighter hanger of the SD on the bottom of the ship, not the sides? I know that it serves as a capital ship hanger too but... well I'm not sure.

By the way Thrawn, when you force push another jedi and you use the sprint to attack them they always kill you. I don't know if my game is defective but if I force push another Jedi and then sprint at them they kill me instantly. And if I don't sprint I don't get there in time, unless I am right next to them, and they are right next to a wall when I push them... Anyways yeah, the dark jedi are much more powerful, although Han Solo is a good character. I've used him a couple times and it's kind of difficult to die with him.

By the way, Darth Maul rules in this game.

With regards to the Star Destroyer, changes were made for gameplay reasons, and although it might not make sense to us harcore Star Wars fans, it's best that they made those changes. You'll find that the critical system layout for the Star Destroyer is the same as the Moncal. It may not be accurate but it's for the best.

For the Jedi, I had thought you were talking Jedi vs. Non-Jedi combat. While it may be annoying to be stunned by choke, the game wasn't intended to be Jedi vs. Jedi. Your powers are to help you rack up kills against the general trooper population. Also, you might try moving around alot and using force pull if your particular hero has it. From the games I played over the weekend online, I have determined that the Jedi simply need to be more creative than running right at the Sith characters. I've never really had any problem avoiding choke or force pushing them and then killing them while they're stunned.

The shield generator on the bottom of the SD is now a life support system

Shield generator? I thought the general consensus was that was the bottom of a fusion reactor.

when you destroy both shield generators the shields aren't gone.

Do you mean the two globes on top of the bridge-superstructure-thing? There's an ongoing debate about whether those are shield generators, sensors, or something else entirely.

Also, and I'm not sure on this, but isn't the fighter hanger of the SD on the bottom of the ship, not the sides? I know that it serves as a capital ship hanger too but... well I'm not sure.

Imperator and Imperator II Star Destroyers have no flight decks or hangar bays except on the underside.

I have to disagree with you Grand_Admiral_Thrawn, while the changes were made for gameplay reasons, they didn't need to make those changes. They could have spent more time to make a better game while at the same time preserving canonocity and "realism".

F'ing LucasArts.

I'd rather fly into a Star Destroyer from the side than try to get under one and go in that way. Making the hangar on the side was a good choice. I'd rather have an easier time getting my TIE in the ship than worry about canon
Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

I tried the demo. I have to say it was fun even if there were only two levels. I think the gameplay needed work but this was an XBox version so i guess the pc version must be better. I will have to give the full version a try now.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance