Elivis' Story

ElvisMiggell

This is the start of my new story, enjoy. Feels free to slag off my artistic crapness! ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darkness. The land was enveloped in it. A shroud hanging over the bitter truth, a truth that few dared to oppose. Conflict, there was none, merely suffering, the tortured cries of a great society brought to its knees. A society rotted from the inside out. He knew this place, this society. He had never been to this planet, not even this sector, but he recognised what he saw. It was common across the galaxy now, charred remains, biological and mechanical decorated the landscape as far as the eye could see. Kyle Katarn lifted the electrobinoculors to his eyes, nothing. A vast empty expanse of death and nothingness. Kyle pondered the pain of depth. He’d been there, seen it, dipped his toe in the pits of anguish and despair, but that wasn’t his way, that wasn’t the way of the Jedi. His mission mattered now. All his teachers had drilled that into him, the ability to focus solely on the present situation, let the force handle the future, guide him to where it needed him to be. He’d lost friends because of that, they couldn’t comprehend his willingness to not have a plan. Lifestyle management his friends called it, unnecessary more like it.

Kyle started to move purposefully across the wasteland. The Vong hadn’t reformed this planet. They’d taken it and moved on. He needed to know why. All the other planets they came to they had reformed to their purposes. But this planet, this planet they had left alone. Off into the distance Kyle could see the beginnings of a huge swamp. Strangely familiar, yet everything about this planet felt wrong and right, a curious mix of light and dark, an uncomfortable familiarity for Kyle. Though he knew he would constantly have to fight the dark both inside and out of him, he had hoped not to encounter it here. Kyle exited the small settlement, the only one on the entire planet according to sensor sources. The only known settlement, but there were others, one in particular, known only to a select few. A deep secret, hidden for years. Even Jan only knew of its existence, she knew the name but not the location, not even the location of the planet.

There were others who knew. Luke of course, and Han, and Leia. Mon Mothma probably knew, but nobody knew where she was now. Chewie had known hadn’t he? Of course, that didn’t really matter now. Chewie was gone. Had given his life to save others. Death was inevitable, Kyle knew, but when it came, Kyle hoped he could meet it with the dignity Chewie had mustered. There were probably others that knew, Kyle suspected that Luke had also told Kyp. Ordinarily, Kyle might have felt a twinge of jealousy, resentment that Luke had to confide in Kyp in order to protect him. But in these times, he was glad that another knew of his whereabouts.

Kyle had asked for this mission, partly out of interest, but mainly because the idea had struck him, and he didn’t want to offend Luke by talking to others about it. So he’d gone straight to him and asked him. Luke had been reticent at first, but was swayed by Han of all people’s arguments. Kyle was right, someone needed to find out why the Vong had left this planet alone, what was its secret? What did it have that no other planet had, or was it something that this planet didn’t have? Kyle strode into the swamp, he exercised due caution, Luke had warned him of the dangers of overconfidence in this place. When Luke warned him, there was a note of experience in his voice. Kyle briefly wondered what the story was behind that warning.

The humidity was incredible, the foliage thick, and the insects terrible. Kyle pushed gently with the force, he radiated a slight odour, something that wouldn’t hurt the insects, just make them instinctively think that whatever it was coming towards them wasn’t food, and wouldn’t make a good host. The insects buzzed around, but didn’t land on him. It was getting lighter now. Kyle could feel the sticky heat of the dawn sun. The light didn’t penetrate the canopy, yet, but the heat wafted through, making his walk more uncomfortable. He was glad he had decided to forgo his robes, and wear only a loose jumpsuit, and carry only the essential equipment, including his two lightsabers. His and his fathers, one a relic, the other was the cutting edge of New Republic technology, crafted over a long week in meditation.

The going was harder than he had anticipated, roots sprawled around his legs, and not all of them were stationary. He didn’t know the names of the indiginous plants, nobody did. As far as he knew, this planet had never even been surveyed. The animals were nameless, as were the plants. Anonymity suited Kyle. He prefered to blend in when with people, as a lesser known Jedi he wasn’t recognised in public, which was nice. He wasn’t around to be a hero, merely a role model, someone to protect the populous, not foster hero worship. Kyle was a loner to all intents and purposes. A man of few words and few friends, and suited him just fine.

Ah, there it was, his destination, just ahead of him. Now, the time was here, time to see if he could make a difference, find some clue, some pointer, to the answer. Answer? Well, the question really needed to be defined a little more didn’t it? Yes, it did. This was going to take some time Kyle mused.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

More coming when i get the chance to write it...

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Masterful, my friend! Very well written! :D

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

Excellent start Elvis, just one comment Mon Mothma is dead by that time. Seeing Kyle in NJO is nice. :D

I hope you get the time to write more. I'm actually working on a Corran story in NJO. I think I'll post the start of it too...

:wink:

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

Is she? I couldn't remember, and is she definitely dead, or is she just missing?

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Dead, the New Essential Guide says so, Jan Dodonna is dead too.

"Shortly before the invasion of the Yuuzhan Vong, she passed away peacefully in her sleep."

As for Dodonna, he retired to New Alderaan and died there... after the resurrected emperor was beaten....

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

Right, well it doesn't affect the story much at all, and i can't be bothered to edit my post, but i will change it in the real version.

I'll tell you what though, it's really difficult trying to remember all the Vong jargon for their tech stuff.