I want to help! - Voice acting

Lord_La_forge

Which character could you manage?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which character could you manage?

• Joorus C'baoth
    • Luke Skywalker

Want to help us with Voice acting? This is the correct forum for it!

We had some misunderstandments about, how you can and can't help us, so let's get things right.

VOICE ACTING IS NEED FOR THE FOLLOWING 3 CHARACTERS:

:arrow: C'baoth: Old, crazy jedi master. Speaks about like the Emperor did. I would suggest you find an old guy for the task, who can do such weird tones.

:arrow: Luke: Just listen to his lines couple of tmies in Rebellion, and try to imitate that. There are about 10 lines for him, you will have to do. If you do sound like the original, we may reduce the number of lines to 4-5.

:arrow: Mon Calamari: the hardest of them all. We need to reproduce the voice of Admiral Ackbar. If you take him over, WE WILL WORSHIP YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! Lots of lines here. He will be the advisor for the NR.

:arrow: Imperial Advisor: An Imperial officer, speaking fine-english. Something like IMP-22 was. I'm sure, you know what we need here.

Send all sample files to: nobunaga@freemail.hu . Please note, that I can't take over huge packages with FREEMAIL. I do have gmail, but I don't want to use it for such purpouses. Sample files should be in .wav format, 8bit 22khz or 44khz. Please Zip or rar it. You can also send mp3 files. The mail, you send shouldn't be larger than 1mb, but you can send multiple mails.

!!! For avoiding traffic problems, please post in this thread, if there is an email on the way with samples. !!!

Thank you for your help! If you think you can do some of the voices, just record some lines (anything, but let it be clear and long enough). :D:D

Edited by Lord_La_forge

Where should I email the test files to? I think I might be able to pull of a Mon Cal sounding voice. My voice will be raw afterwards however.
I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

While I am quite the terrible voice actor (I cannot control my voice very well and it often breaks) I feel obliged to offer a tip. I reccomend that aspiring voice actors download Audacity, a free program that can be found on Google, if nowhere else. It records sounds from the mike and lets you edit those sounds in a ton of ways from echos, to amplification, to speed, tone, pitch, trebel, bass and more. I used it while scenario designing for Galactic Battlegrounds and found it very useful. So... good luck with this, or...eh whatever *Wanders off*

I've tested out my windows sound recorder and come to the conclusion that I would make a poor voice actor. I could probably play a junior bridge officer but that'd be it. My voice just isn't "Aged" sounding enough for C'baoth. :)

EDIT: Also for some reason the volume is always too quiet when I play it back.

Thanks for the tip, Thrawn! Seriously, man, you rock! I'm an okay voice actor (As in I can do impressions fairly well). Do you want anyone in the new version with an Irish accent? 'Cause that I can do supremely well. It's all right if we think we might be okay with three and send them all to you, right? Or should we just send the one we think we sound best as?

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Send all sample files to: nobunaga@freemail.hu . Please note, that I can't take over huge packages with FREEMAIL. I do have gmail, but I don't want to use it for such purpouses. Sample files should be in .wav format, 8bit 22khz or 44khz. Please Zip or rar it. You can also send mp3 files. The mail, you send shouldn't be larger than 1mb, but you can send multiple mails.

!!! For avoiding traffic problems, please post in this thread, if there is an email on the way with samples. !!!

Thank you for your help! If you think you can do some of the voices, just record some lines (anything, but let it be clear and long enough). :D:D

• 2 weeks later...
Umm, yeah, how evactly do you put stuff in wave format? I can send stuff in the basic format that I can save programs on with Audacity, but I have no clue how to convert them to wav format. like I said before, I am very stupid when it comes to computers. :lol:

12/14/07

If worst comes to worst, just download a program to convert it. I forget what the program is I use (It's on my family comp, which is always being used by someone else), but just google for audio converting programs. Most of them are fairly straightfoward and easy to use, and are, of course, freeware. :D

• 1 month later...

Well, almost all programs record them in wave format. Just send it my way! If you have something, SEND :D Don't care about the formats. As we have nothing to lose. Because we have nothing... yet.

Just tell me if you sent that email. Either PM me or post it here.

• 1 month later...
For the Mon Calamari voice, how about getting in touch with the team that made the Galactic Conquest mod for Battlefield 1942 (http://www.galactic-conquest.net)? That mod has some very Ackbar-sounding MonCal voices in it. They must have gotten them from somewhere, and they might just be able to share their source, since it's a pure fan-base initiative just like this one.

In my opinion, Joruus C'baoth should not sound anything at all like the Emperor. He's a very different character, and much younger than the Emperor was at the time of his death. Joruus is described as slightly past his middle age, if memory serves me right, and in excellent physical condition. His voice should not sound very old, nor creaky like the Emperor's, IMO. A deep, slow and imposing voice, something similar to Saruman in the LotR films would work very well, I believe, but with a crazy edge to it. Don't think I can pull it off myself exactly, though. Maybe the Galactic Conquest people would have some ideas?

Good thinking. Well, we need unique lines, so we do need a voice actor for the job. Basicly we need some older people for both characters, and that was our problem, because we don't have that voice "tone" that an adult age 45-60 male has.

I hope one of you guys have contacts with GC, cause I don't really know what that is.

See, I'm the exact opposite, especially after seeing him in the comics. He looks like a crazy old man, and would probably sound like it.

Think Grandpa from "Hey Arnold", or Grandpa from "Rugrats" or something.

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

I figured it out! Joruus C'Boath should sound like Master Roshi from Dragonball Z. Both are active, powerful old men who are crazy.

Pretend that some of us never watched that show...

12/14/07

couldn't find Roshi's voice sample, but I found a site with a guy who fits. Might even be the same actor.

http://www.legends-station.com/mml1/ch-barrel1.php

Just click the voice sample. Make it a little crazier and thats what I think it should be

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

I've given up on replacing voice files on the reloaded-front.

La-Forge should be the person perplexed and constanty let down on this front from now on. I believe Jannaway was the latest piece of crap to promise the earth and be full of nothing as per normal. What is it about the internet that generates such bullshit? :?

Anyway,

couldn't find Roshi's voice sample, but I found a site with a guy who fits. Might even be the same actor.

http://www.legends-station.com/mml1/ch-barrel1.php

Just click the voice sample. Make it a little crazier and thats what I think it should be

You can recruit him for our lines then? :P

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

• 2 months later...
Why don't you just avoid the Mon Cal altogether? I've been doing some prep for his voice and it is really a very annoying voice with that sucking sound and all that phlegm. I'd actually suggest using a simple British accented Officer or maybe the voice of a farmboy future Jedi. I'm going to do some recordings and sed them your way by Monday Lord La Forge. Let me know if you already have one.

I'll try Luke again, now that Supremacy is finished. Spring Break is in a week and a half, so I should be able to do it then. Unless someone else has already done Luke?

• 7 months later...
So what does one need to accomplish these things, a microphone and some free software? Send me some C'Boath dialogue and I'll give it a try if you get this thing out by christmas 06 :)

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

So what does one need to accomplish these things, a microphone and some free software? Send me some C'Boath dialogue and I'll give it a try if you get this thing out by christmas 06 :)

Yes, that's about it. But the best would be if you would have a grandfather willing to record it.

You could try this for C'baoth:

"I will do your bidding … for now."

"As you wishhh."

Yes, that's about it. But the best would be if you would have a grandfather willing to record it.

You could try this for C'baoth:

"I will do your bidding … for now."

"As you wishhh."

Are those his only dialogue lines? Or just a "test sequence"? How many lines does he have in total (provided those aren't his only line)?

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?