Looking for enjoyable animated movies

Lord_La_forge

My girlfriend really likes animated movies as do I. But Disney movies are her favourite! That's terrible, I know.

So I'm currently looking for GOOD cartoon movies to keep her satisfied without all those Disney and Dreamworks crap.

One of the best movies I've seen so far was Spirited Away, even if I don't like anime at all. That's like a masterpiece. Superb characters, and much-much creative thoughts, ideas, interesting scenes. It's a real fairy tale. Absolutletly deserved the Oscar.

But are there any others like this? Because I'm fed up with Disney's stereotyped movies uncapable to teach anything to children. Pure showbiz and entertainment crap. As if all disney films were the same, with almost the same characters, but with brand new popular songs and background images. Of course with lots of star guest voice actors. That's important.

So I'm a bit upset with the current tendence. Basicly these two brainless factories are farting all the new cartoons out using their own schemes, and there are no alternatives.

Any of you guys know some good fairy tale movies? I'm desperate

Edited by Lord_La_forge

• SWR Staff - Executive

Well there's always..

Kiki's Delivery Service

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

Princess Mononoke

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds

... didn't we have an anime topic already?

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Well there's always..

Kiki's Delivery Service

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

Princess Mononoke

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds

... didn't we have an anime topic already?

No, I'm actually not looking for anime movies. I'm looking for animated tales, if you like to call them that way. Ar these, you"ve posted anime movies?

They are, indeed. They are also all made by the same people who brought you Spirited Away, and are all great "animated tales", as you say. I can say that without having even seen all of them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/RiesstiuIV/Krempel/trapaure.gif

Ah, a good suggestion. I would suggest Final Fantacy: Spirit Within- pretty awesome cutting-edge CG movie. Everyone in it looks real but isn't- first time I saw it I was wondering about which one it was. I think the movie took, like three years to make because they did such a good job on it. The movie is kinda corny since it relies on its CG, but is still pretty good, even if the plot is kinda lame.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• SWR Staff - Executive

We're waiting for the new Final Fantasy: Advent Children now. As it is actually based on a Final Fantasy game, I hope it will have a more developed plot than Spirits Within.

In terms of animated tales, there's always The Hobbit :)

Titan AE was a great movie. As was The Incredibles.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

For a little more "adult" age material, try Heavy Metal (made in the 80's, the soundtrack is awesome!). I believe they made a follow on, Heavy Metal 2000, but I haven't seen nor heard anything about it.
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

That was a superb and cute series, but not really what I'm looking for. :D

I'm not looking for adult stuff right now. More like fairy tales, that are not violent, but also not dumb or primitve like Tele-Tabbies.

In series "Meister Eder und sein Pumuckl" was very good too. Or "Calimero" was also good, but a bit dumb.

The Hobbit? I didn't see it but I found this rating on IMDB:

User Comments: Don't see it!!!

:lol:

Titan AE sounds really good, but than again it's seems to be too violent with those huge guns.

You see now, it's not that easy to find anything beyond the rule of Disney.

I agree with Mad. Titan was a GREAT movie. I really enjoyed it. And I must also stick up for the Hobbit movie. Sure, it's a bit weird (I think it was made in the 70's or early 80's-) but it follows the story so well. And all the songs from the book are in the movie, which I thought was great. I highly recommend it.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

The Hobbit was made in 1977. Although this was probably made for the older "kid" (lots of songs, but not quite so "Disney-cheery" type), it was a rather good film (I actually liked some of the songs :roll: ). Like most movies, it doesn't cover "the entire" book, just the main portions and important parts. Forget what ONE person on IMDB said, listen to your fellow SWR members: *** my Obi-wan impersonation *** "You don't need the IMDB reviews. Those aren't the movie reviews you're looking for. Move along and go see The Hobbit (anyway)".

Definitely see it, you won't be disappointed!

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I second Titan A.E. Very nice movie, although it follows the "Hollywood-kinda movie with big names attached to it" formula.

Surely, when listing animated fairy tales, The Last Unicorn is worth mentioning. Very beautiful film. I highly recommend it :!:

I'll also recommend Tim Burton's Nightmare before Chistmas. May not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's an enjoyable tale, pretty funny, has very good music and songs and some of the best stop-motion animation I've seen (right up there with Wallace & Gromit).

Out of curiosity: In what language do you watch foreign movies, and with subtitles or rather a dubbed version (which are quite inferior to the original voice acting in many, though not all cases)?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/RiesstiuIV/Krempel/trapaure.gif

How can no one have mentioned Cowboy Bebop yet? One of the best animated features I've ever watched. Yes it's rated 14+ in most countries or higher due to violence and other stuff. It happens when you're a bounty hunter. (Star Hunter is totally a rip off of Bebop. Of course others have said that same thing about Firefly.)

If you want an animated kids move I would go with Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Best music ever.

EDIT: Shoot, Evaders already said Castle in the Sky... I SECOND THIS MOVIE! :D

Out of curiosity: In what language do you watch foreign movies, and with subtitles or rather a dubbed version (which are quite inferior to the original voice acting in many, though not all cases)?

I prefer dubbed, hungarian version for tales and such. For art movies, or any more important movies I watch in original language, mostly subtitled.

Thanks for these really good suggestions! Looks like we're getting somewhere.

Well, I can recommend several very enjoyable animated movies, but I think that would be a little inappropriate for this site :wink:

You sinful creature :wink:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Ive seen some crazy ones involving demons and humans and people getting torn in half during "the act".

I don't know, is it just me or are we getting TOTALLY OFF TOPIC!

I don't want any naked women with flesheating demons!!!

Oh my...

I don't want any naked women with flesheating demons!!!

Oh my...

Oh, dude, totally. Who needs flesh-eating demons when you have naked women? Come to think of it, I think there's a fully animated girls gone wild edition... (There isn't, it was a joke)

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away