What's all this about Traitors...?

Darth_Gonzo

Question

I keep reading about traitors. What is the probability of a traitor? What happens when a character turns? What can they give away? More importantly, what can I do to prevent them?
"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It gives you strength." - Nothing happens to Palpatine without him wanting it to...except getting thrown down that shaft ofcourse. Let's hear it for the Empire.

The probability of some one being a traitor is somewhat random, but there are some key factors that lead to a traitor.

First, the number of systems you controle compared to your opponent. If you're the Empire and the Rebellion has most of the Core worlds you've got a good chance of getting a traitor.

Also, if you're not doing to well militarily (that is, you keep loosing battles), or if your planets are always successfully being assaulted you might have a traitor afterwords. Being sabotaged fits into this catagory too.

Now, I'm not sure, but I think doing things like attacking civilian assets or destroying planets (in the case of the Empire) can also force one or more of your characters to become a traitor.

Now, each of these things randomly effects a character. If you look in the Minor Character section in RebEd you'll see that there is a loyalty rating for each character. Some of the Rebel characters will have a "Character is always loyal" box checked next to this rating. These characters will never become a traitor. Those that do not have this box checked will all start with 100% loyalty. As the game progessed this percentage may drop due to any of the events I've listed above. The reason I say this is random is because not all characters will have their loyalty reduced as much as others.

Now, having a loyal character in the same system as a traitor and having them on a mission together will uncover the traitor. For example, if Ozzel is a traitor and I send him on any mission with Thrawn, who is loyal (in this isntance you understand), the mission will fail and a message will appear in your box from Thrawn saying he has discovered a traitor.

If you don't have any characters to spare, but you suspect some one is a traitor keep track of their missions. If they consistantly fail or are foiled most of the time there is a good chance you have a spy. Sadly the only way to deal with them is to retire them.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Interesting, very nice of you to post that Thrawn. I myself was wondering about this traitor thing since I have had this happen to me a few times but didnt know how to deal with it.
http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

Force using characters are the only ones that detect a traitor. Vader and Luke are the best at this. Send Vader along with the traitor. The mission will fail and Vader will let you know that whoever is a traitor.

Hmm, I could have sworn that non-Force users could detect too... maybe I thought that because they were detected Force users...

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Yea its only force users that can detect... so Thrawn could never detect since he has a 0% chance of being strong in the force :P . Other than that nice explanation :-).

EDIT: Just noticed you forgot to mention that people don't turn traitors during missions or assignments(at least to my knowledge). So if some guy is a general the whole game he should be safe since he is never "off mission" I could be wrong though...

I usually put the really evil characters as "Won't betray his side" Like Needa, or Screed. Jerjerrod(sp) I keep as normal because I can see him betraying the empire, same with Piett. I usually go off of what they look like in their picture though XD.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

You forgot the most important way to get a traitor: character deaths. The more of your characters who have been killed, the more likely they are to betray you. I had whole teams of Minor characters assasinated and foiled, as well as killed in assaults and fleet battles, then 4 traitors all at once- Grammel, Screed, Jerjerrod, and one other. I never found where the last was Thrawn or Bevel Lemelisk.

You could say that it was caused by the lost assaults, but I'm convinced it was the dead characters as they were mostly killed in different ways.

I think the loss of characters can be placed in the "doing poorly" category.

One thing that contradicts this theory, however, is the lack of moles when you play as the Empire. I have no use for prisoners and so I assassinate all of the rebels, yet I see no increase in the failure rate of their missions, unless they simply send fewer missions because of the lack of major characters to lead them.

I didn't mean foiled assasinations, I meant accidental deaths during abduction missions against me. My characters were dropping dead everywhere, but at least my fleets did really well. They just were never where I needed them, so I got a lot of people killed. Hooray :D !!!

Grand_Admiral_Thrawn posted:

" I have no use for prisoners and so I assassinate all of the rebels, yet I see no increase in the failure rate of their missions, unless they simply send fewer missions because of the lack of major characters to lead them."

Although I do not blame you for eliminating the Rebel scum,hehe :) keeping them can aid you in the fact that if placed "tatically" with a well rounded fleet you can destroy the enemy, who is attempting to use a fleet to destroy yours, in an attempt to free the captured companions. I have learned that if the rebels find a location where their companions are at, especially a ship or small fleet, they begin rescue missions and/or fleet attacks. This sometimes happens from spies from them or from your traitors. Once I notice 3 or more attempts I begin to assemble a force at the same area using the captured companions as a trap. Once they enter especially if a Death Star and a Interdictor ship. :D Just thought I'd add a usefull tatic.

"The attack on me by the Jedi has left me physically deformed. But, my Resolve has never been Stronger"Palpatine

" I have no use for prisoners and so I assassinate all of the rebels, yet I see no increase in the failure rate of their missions, unless they simply send fewer missions because of the lack of major characters to lead them."

Although I do not blame you for eliminating the Rebel scum,hehe :) keeping them can aid you in the fact that if placed "tatically" with a well rounded fleet you can destroy the enemy, who is attempting to use a fleet to destroy yours, in an attempt to free the captured companions. I have learned that if the rebels find a location where their companions are at, especially a ship or small fleet, they begin rescue missions and/or fleet attacks. This sometimes happens from spies from them or from your traitors. Once I notice 3 or more attempts I begin to assemble a force at the same area using the captured companions as a trap. Once they enter especially if a Death Star and a Interdictor ship. :D Just thought I'd add a usefull tatic.

"The attack on me by the Jedi has left me physically deformed. But, my Resolve has never been Stronger"Palpatine

Although I do not blame you for eliminating the Rebel scum,hehe :) keeping them can aid you in the fact that if placed "tatically" with a well rounded fleet you can destroy the enemy, who is attempting to use a fleet to destroy yours, in an attempt to free the captured companions. I have learned that if the rebels find a location where their companions are at, especially a ship or small fleet, they begin rescue missions and/or fleet attacks. This sometimes happens from spies from them or from your traitors. Once I notice 3 or more attempts I begin to assemble a force at the same area using the captured companions as a trap. Once they enter, especially if a Death Star and a Interdictor ship are present they are doomed :twisted: . :D Just thought I'd add a usefull tatic.

Oops sorry about the repeat of the same reply, thoght it didn't go through. Computer :oops:

Kellern wrote:

Force using characters are the only ones that detect a traitor.

Grand_Admiral_Thrawn wrote:

Hmm, I could have sworn that non-Force users could detect too...

Non-Force users CAN detect traitors, when on a mission with the traitor (as previously stated). Characters strong in the Force can also detect traitors. Other than having a winning scenario to get an increase in loyalty or retiring the character, you can place your "traitor" in a command position (if this character is capable). According to the manual "Characters in command roles will not betray you, even if they have a low loyalty". I would think that this would be an even worse scenario for a traitor myself, but the "good book(?)" says otherwise. Go figure? If you think things will improve over time, send the traitor on some "wild goose chases". Just send them from planet to planet, one side of the galaxy to the other (I do this with prisoners usually). The more time they spend in hyperspace, the less time there is to be a traitor. When things start going your way again, send them on a mission with an "always loyal" character just to make sure. If they haven't improved after awhile, ... well, maybe they should just be toasted!

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Tex, the way you put that post makes it sound like you are stuffing the traitor in a cylinder too small to move in, and just launching him all over the place. God that would be awesome. Although I'd prefer to do it with prisoners...
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

If the character is practically on the "other side" already, he/she might as well travel as a prisoner. I can see it now ...

"Here's your new travel orders, made by Hyperlocity, the cheapest Holo-Net travel service. Sorry, there are no peanuts, somebody maybe alergic. Now get your nerf herder kiester on that shuttle. Yes, it does look like a garbage can with just a hyperdrive. We did say we're the "cheapest". What did you expect (you traitor)?"

Have a nice flight! Send a postcard when you get a chance. :lol::lol::lol:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

rofl, garbage can XD. Ahhh that makes me laugh.

I had my first encounter with a traitor. All the times I've played, I've never encountered a traitor (he/she/it might have been there, just not detected). Check out my latest start description in "Gaming Stories" forum, "What a great start" post, dated July 30, 2005.

Anyway, I'm playing the Empire and sending Darth Vader and Menndo (I always think of him as "Greedo") on sabotage missions throughout the Corellian sector. Things are blowing up here and there. I'm making progress destroying rebel war materials. Then one mission fails, OK not every mission will be a success :( . Add some commandos to the duo, missions still keeps failing :cry: . OK, maybe they're being detected, there are Rebel characters and different troops/spec forces at these locations. Ditch the commandos and send just Darth & Menndo to Corfai to destroy some training facilities. No problem, BOOM! :) OK, that works, send them again. BOOM! :D Alright, I'm on track, now let's get that LAST training facility. UH OH. Darth Vader: "I've discovered a traitor to the Empire"! 8O It's Menndo! :evil: That shit. I didn't suspect, good job Darth!

If Menndo had command capability, he'd be a general of a toilet on Hoth! But I have a special "punishment" for him. Darth crams his spiny little butt into a "hyperdrive capable garbage can", and sends him on a solo espionage mission to ... Yavin :twisted: . Half way across the galaxy with no leg room. Maybe he'll be captured :twisted: . If he does come back, I'll send him to Tatooine for some Taco Bell!.

I wonder if a traitor can be captured. Say one of my Imperials are a known traitor, and I send him on a mission (with the hopes of him being captured), would the Rebels capture him? If he's giving info to the enemey, they're not going to want to keep him locked up, where hes away from the Imperials and their information which is valuable to the Rebels. Next time I find a traitor, Im going to try to get him captured and see what happens.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

I'll let you know if my "boy" Menndo gets captured or not, he's still busy "flying" to his new mission. Otherwise, he's going to be doing the hardest solo missions ever.