Rebellion 2 meets JK2

ElvisMiggell

Missions like rescues, assassination, recon, in the style of JK2, game engines really ought to be able to support this by now, shouldn't they? Then if Luke meets Vader, we can be there too and decide who wins.

Elvismiggell

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I, for one, enjoy Rebellion because its NOT a FPS, but a more intelligent game you actually have to think to play.

But i guess as long as theres an Auto-Battle button, it'll be a nice addition. If its do-able, thats a whole different story :roll:

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Venix

The Rankless-One

It would get too complicated. I download levels for JK2 if I want to fight Darth Vader, and I do Rebellion to enjoy a frustrating game with a little more intelligence.. or cheating 8O

OF COURSE NOT! Anyway, I agree with my fellow dutch Wilhelmuszanger, Venix!

Z'anthr saves the world. Sorry about the mess...

Guest JediIgor

Actually, I think I see what he means..

He wants it to be like Rebellion, except when you send your agents for a mission, the game changes into first person and you actually do that mission... Too complicated if you ask me. FPS & Strat engines just don't mix as far I see. :(

Would be a good idea for game in like 10 years though :)

Its not that hard... But to make it come out right, thats the trick.

Oh, and while we're at it, lets make it so you can choose a ship in a battle, and fly em yourselves ! Cap ships = ST StarFleet Command style, and fighters = XWA :)

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Venix

The Rankless-One

JediIgor and Venix have got the idea. I'm not sure how some of the larger battles would work, but then i haven't played ST Fleet Command, would you still have control of ALL your ships, would you be able to swith between them in a sort of Rainbow Six style, tabbing between ships?

Elvismiggell

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

You could try to do it stealthily, make it more realistic, Luke (e.g.) would wear disguises and not overtly carry weapons, he'd have fake id and would be able to use mind tricks. The only way it wouldnt work is when you get people who insist on taking the direct route and killing everyone. A diplomacy mission might involve getting to a contact without yourself or them being found out.

Elvismiggell

• 2 weeks later...
if you wanted something of this sort the easiest and probably the way with the best gameplay would make an editor into the game and have the game generate the level where when you enter that mode it launches JK2 or SF Com or XWA or whatever id add AOE2 or GBgrounds as a tactical ground tactical section.
Why are people afraid to die? It is a natural part of life. Life and Death. They go together. Some people are just willing to speed up that process.

Sounds good to me. Wouldn,t we have to design specific maps for every time though? It would be quite hard to get missions specific to that moment in gameplay.

there would be a set death star map for ds sabatoge and such where it is kind of random kind of set, wouldnt be much for outdoors and space dont need a map, just what ships on whos side
Why are people afraid to die? It is a natural part of life. Life and Death. They go together. Some people are just willing to speed up that process.

Sounds good to me, sdome sort of basic random mission generator like in SofF II

• 7 months later...

Ok here a great suggestion for an multiplayer Rebellion Game with many onlineplayers:

2 Admins control the galaxy like in Rebellion it is now. And the others are Jedis who sabotage/rescue/espionage/abduction in Quake Engine like JK2.

Some other Players are Commanders and Admirals in the Game and control the Space battles.

conclusion: Every one who joins the server will randomly become one of the characters of the game and do what Controler wants to have done.

"I am growing stronger with the Force"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Admiral_Antilles
About the ST fleet Command Idea. If you control you're own ship it should be a the flag ship of the fleet. Maybe outfit it with special weapons and such.

• 1 month later...
for some reason i was rereading this, no idea why but anyways. It wouldnt be that great for the missions but you could use it on battles and on asaults for battles, still tactical not fps. get what im saying, like impliment the star trek armada engine or im not sure what SF Command is like, and using like civ 2(actually or 3) or galactic battlegrounds for capturing planets. have a few it work into the game where it tells the enging large map 2 player forest starting units... whatever. yuo guys get what im saying or did i lose you

i just thought of using hegemonia, i love that tactical mode. but we would have to do modding to get it to work(i believe so anyways).. What the heck am i thinking wed probably have to mod all of them

• 2 months later...

i don't think there is any easy way to make any kind of an FPS part into Rebellion, and really, don't see any reason for it.

Rebellion is a strategy game, not an fps..its for a broad scope of dominating the galaxy, not going mission to mission, fighting strmtoops or bounty hunters or other...

Besides, if things like Ssi-ruuk, Yuuzhan Vong, and other aliens are added to the game, how can you easily just have Rebellion open Force Commander, XWA, Gbattlegrounds, or JK2, and have those games have each element randomly placed for that specific battle's moment, unless you have extreme modding for each of those games to add the aliens and other new vehicles from rebellion...think about for a second...its not easily possible...

And how would Rebellion know when the battle is over, or if you were succesful, or what troops/ships you lost after you finish?

And also, not everyone has all of those different games...so going to a different game would have to be optional of course

:arrow: We had this discussion couple of months ago. Igor's right about the game engine problem. But just remember Sim City 2000. You could save your city and load it into Sim Copter, so you could fly in your own city... So two, fully different engined games can cooperate perfectly. I think, it's not that complicated at all.

:idea: On a sabotage mission, you could place a 'flag' on that mission, then save the game. JKII opens it, searches for the flag, picks the correct character skin, and loads some level (sihpyard,mine or factory...) with ai controlled enemy units. On the and of the mission JK could analyse the result (simple boolean: completed:true/false, killed in action:true/false... )This is NOT impossible! But surely needs modding. I had the same thought on tactical battles with XWA. I even replayed some of my battles in Rebellion with XWA... some mechanism could save your fleets parameters, and an external program could load this information to an XWA skirmish. :roll:

Remember we're talking about Rebellion 2, not a mod. A sequel done by the pros with a complettely new engine. Look at RS3. This is just the logical next step, adding two more formats to it as well. If a GC can do it, then so can a PC!

Wouldn't something like Bridge Command or whatecer the ST game was be better cos then you can command cap ships better?

Well XWA couldn't handle capital ships very well, and you had no control of them.

Probably... I don't know, if Bridge Commander was ever moddable, and if so, were there any SW models for it. Interesting theory however :)

I will browse the net for more info..

After visiting bridgecommanderfiles.com, I can tell you that there are not enough materials for it. They have only fighter models and STD models for SW :( As it is the main modding page for the game, I guess we have to drop you're idea :(

I don't think it was ever particularly feasible as anything other than an official sequal unfortunately. :)