Wha..! Where that planet go....!

Jahled

Given no one can apparently understand the language natural disasters are writan in the game, meaning we're stuck with them, i've had an idea with a way we can live with them a bit more creatively.

When a planet suffers a natural disaster, the picture could be changed to that of an asteroid-field (dramatic I know!), indicating the loss of resources to exploit; or even total apocolypse and destruction where nothing remains.....he he :twisted:

Can this be done? Does anyone know how to do it? Does anyone actually care? Who thinks I should get on with my job?

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Yeah, I knew that....I was more concerned with the asteroid image on the galaxy map and an asteroid image during tactical battles...and getting the programe to this as opposed to doing it manualy! Though I wouldn't mind knowing how to do it all manualy.... :roll:

Hmm, i think you'd need a new trigger in the game. There must be one in the code that says when the death star destroys a system, change the pictures to asteroids. You'd need to do something like that, but that would mean going into thecode, i think. I'm not sure, but the DS seems the closest event to that.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

The problem is that natural disasters don't always destroy everything on a system, so why make them worse than they already are. At least now there is the possability of some resources left. Also the Death Star event destroys everything on a planet- troops,fighters, ect. so changing events would really cost more than a natural disaster. Don't get me wrong I HATE natural disasters as they have screwed me many a time, I'm just remarking on the consequences of changing from a denuded system to a dead system.- Grand Moff Conway

Yeah. It would have the effect of a Death Stars Super laser. So that means, that your scientists (Ackbar or Orlok...) would be sure killed, when they are working on that planet, cuz they have only a minor combat skill... If such a disaster would happen to me...hm I guess I would say:

8O8O8O8O

=/!%+ :!: "/+( :evil: ) :evil::?: =+'"!!!!!**%*!* :evil::evil: %**""!!! :cry::cry::cry:

Dude, you put that final point quite articulately...

My original point was along the lines of when you suffer from the dreaded 'natural disaster,' why not make it sort of dramatic; sort of similar to the effect of the Death Star vaporising your system. As they stand, natural disasters are just irritating....occuring infrequently, always it seems when you don't need the hassle.....if they could be made to occur less frequently perhaps the drama and consequence of suffering from one would be all the more theatrical with a total system obliteration...

i'm not suggesting characters need to perish, however! Perhaps their research offices were right next to evacuation shuttles....sort of thing....

Oh oh oh, an idea just hit me!!! The Galaxy Gun, we need a galaxy gun, if it was really really expensive, how cool would that be. And you could adjust it to either have the effect of getting rid of defences like a bombardment, or the effect of a natural disaster, or destroying the whole planet.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Elvis, have you thought this one through? How exactly do you include the galaxy gun in the game and maintain playability? The Empire could just sit on Courscant taking pot shots at the Alliance anywhere in the galaxy. Game balance would just dissolve...

• 6 months later...
Natural Diasasters suck! Im playing a game where one happens every 100 days and its eating away at my fleet!! I wont have anything to take over the hand full of rebel planets at this rate.
GGGGRRRRLLLLLL!!!!!!!-Chewbacca

I think everyone would agree it is about the most hated element in the game, dude. There isn't an emoticon to express how much frustration they cause. So we shall pretend this is one from long ago.

Pumpkin :arrow: Rebellion player sat at computer.

You have to have natural disasters, its what makes the game more interesting. Your gong along so well and BANG a natural disaster. You don't know when its going to happen.
The force is strong in my family. No, Luke, I am your father.

I don't save my games, I try to play them without the temptation of correction my procedure...

And the damn Natural Dissasters leave behind about two or three facilites... In my super-Coruscant with thirty-somethign energy that had 8 shipyards, 6 training yards, 7 facs, some mines and refineries and two shield, one ion and one lnr....All of it except the mines gone... Just like that....

I let the Rebs have it...It was impossible to defend...

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

It made it far more challenging... Too early in the game with no other major shibuilding facilities anywhere....and uprising everywhere with my fleet spread so thinly that the Rebs oculd have easilvy beaten me. I had to move operations to the Rim while I kept my doplimoats trying to gain a foothold in the Sluis Sector and protectedone of my planets near COruscant to have a base from which strike later....
http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Natural disasters a a real pain in the ass, I had the same things as trej only I had it on 5 different planets then, altough I had a big fleet the rebels took almost al my planets, except one outer rim planet named Endor ant from there I launched several Attacks and diplomacy missions.

I won the game eventually, but it was a tough one

I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vader-

Wipe them out, all of them - darth Sidious -

It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice - scooter-

If you see the flash, but don't hear the bang, you're dead-Drill Sergeant-

Check my Forum india.messageboard.nl/4095

Most posts are dutch but english is allowed

I could live with the disasters if for instance, if I had saved a game one or two turns before it happened, then reloaded and it selected a different system (hopefully less important)...As it is for me now, if the save game isn't far enough before the turn it happens (closer to 10 or so), it won't do that...it'll be the same system I didn't want it happening to.

That is an idea, but normally the disaster happen at minor planets with lot's of mines, but this time it happend a few time on "Capital" planets,

and saving, well to be honest, I only save when I quit, i simply forget to save while playing :?

I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vader-

Wipe them out, all of them - darth Sidious -

It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice - scooter-

If you see the flash, but don't hear the bang, you're dead-Drill Sergeant-

Check my Forum india.messageboard.nl/4095

Most posts are dutch but english is allowed