Wanted - List of Imperial Ranks

Darth-Griffin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...

So what was Thrawn's actual rank before Palpatine dubbed him a "Grand Admiral"? Was he a mere Admiral?

Put an overpowered Solar Ionization Reactor in between two cheap-ass engines and a couple of laser cannon, put a chair with a rudimentary flight control and targeting computer on top, and surround the (unpressurized!) pilot with enough armor plate so he doesn't fry in a tenth of a second... riiiiiiiiight

Thrawn wasn't dubbbed Grand Admiral, he was promoted to that rank by the Emperor. There were twelve (I think... might have been eight) Grand Admirals. All but thrawn were either killed, or defected to the Rebellion near the end of the Empire's reign.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

But if we go by that table of ranks, there is no such rank as Grand Admiral... implying that it was a non-military honorific.

Maybe my question should be, was Thrawn still a Vice-Admiral when Palpatine promoted him to Grand Admiral? Or was he promoted to Admiral first?

EDIT: There were twelve - Daala, Thrawn, and ten male humans.

Put an overpowered Solar Ionization Reactor in between two cheap-ass engines and a couple of laser cannon, put a chair with a rudimentary flight control and targeting computer on top, and surround the (unpressurized!) pilot with enough armor plate so he doesn't fry in a tenth of a second... riiiiiiiiight

Though I love her soo, Daala was never a Grand Admiral. The twelve were listed in an article in Star Wars Insider last year. I will try to find the issue and list them all- I do know that Thrawn replaced the traitorous Zarin whom he destroyed.-Grand Moff Conway

Ah I see my mistake. Her card text lists her as the only known female Admiral, I somehow misremembered that as reading "only known female GRAND Admiral". Whoops. Sorry. :oops:

• SWR Staff - Executive

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Heh, now I can see how the New Republic was confused about the existence of a Grand Admiral circa "Heir to the Empire". 8)

There is something that doesn't add up though. In the forum posts that Evaders provided there seems to be a prevailing sentiment that Thrawn is not a 'real" Grand Admiral, but rather that he took that rank upon himself. Yet the official SW website indicates that he was promoted to Grand Admiral and then "banished" to the Outer Rim. Why exactly is this so? I have read all of the novels and haven't come across anything that would lead me to believe Thrawn took the rank of Grand Admiral upon himself. That and the fact that Zahn created the rank, with the first character to hold it being Thrawn. I doubt very much that such a turn of events would occur. Can any one shed some light on this?

EDIT:Ok, I've just taken the time to read through the forum posts (well, those that were of consiqunce to the topic). There is a good deal of information on there about the Grand Admirals that aren't generally know. However, I've also come to the conclusion that the most commonly reference source book (the Dark Empire Source Book), seems to have taken it upon itself to basically trash everything that Zahn created, turning Thrawn into a no-good Warlord who took the title of Grand Admiral himself. This seems a little childish to me. On top of that, these facts go against a plethera of otehr sources! So tell me, why do people continue to reference only one source to support their arguments when there are numerouse other contradictory sources out there!? Maybe it's just people saying Thrawn wasn't a real Grand Admiral (ok, probably), but that whole topic seems... well uninformed... then again, I think the last post was made in 2002. So tell me, why is there such a confusion as to Thrawn's real status?

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

I am not sure where the confusion is, but the official sources both StarWars.com and Star Wars Insider- both run by Lucas and considered good sources of information; say Thrawn was promoted to his rank of Grand Admiral after defeating the traitor Zarin who wanted to make himself Emperor. One source (No I cannot remember which one) said that the Emperor sent Thrawn to conquer the Unknown regions and quietly funneled ships and troops to Thrawn as needed. I will try to dig stuff up for you guys, but I am having problems with my kidneys again, so it may be a while.Sorry.-GM Conway

Emperor promoted Thrawn before ESB, but he could not make it official. (There were already twelve at the time), so he had to wait until Thrawn disposed of Zaarin and promote him for his services.

As for Thrawn in the Unknown Regions, he had already been "sent" there before Yavin, he wanted to go back and create his empire of the Hand all whilst Palpy kept sending troops in his direction, and came back when he was required to. (Corellia, Zaarin, etc).

As for Dark Empire, I personally never liked that storyline. Cloned Emperor, Thrawn being nothing more than a puppet, world devastators, dark side Luke... :? They never made much sense to me, I never considered them part of my "personal canon".

@GMConway, I hope you get better.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

A brief history of Thrawn - from the star wars.com databank

A consummate strategist, Grand Admiral Thrawn likened combat to art, and was an aficionado of both. He could cite inspirations, analyze motives and determine outcomes before his opponents had even consciously began formulating a move.

Thrawn's greatest weapon was his mind. This was long ago recognized by his people, the Chiss, who banished Mitth'raw'nuruodo for his dangerous ideas. The Chiss of Csilla are a disciplined species, advanced enough to build a sizable fleet and an empire over two dozen worlds. Thrawn's tactics were controversial in their boldness, and his activities within the Chiss Expansionary Defense Fleet drew many a concerned, glowing red eye.

The rest of the galaxy made first contact with the Chiss when a taskforce dispatched by Supreme Chancellor Palpatine stumbled upon Thrawn's fleet. The young blue-skinned commander was able to decimate the intruders despite inferior weapons and numbers.

The taskforce's commander, Kinman Doriana, asked Thrawn for a parley. The two conversed, and Doriana was able to appeal to Thrawn's cool sense of logic and order. He outlined his mission -- to destroy the incoming Outbound Flight vessel -- to Thrawn, spelling out the threat that this vessel filled with Jedi Masters posed to the Chiss people. Thrawn completed the mission that Doriana failed and destroyed the Outbound Flight project.

Returning to Csilla, Thrawn was reprimanded for his hostilities. Though he explained that his actions were part of a pre-emptive strike to protect Csilla and the Chiss, the ruling houses could not wrap their minds around such radical concepts. Thrawn was placed under close observation. In time, his activities caused him to be altogether banished from the Chiss.

The Chiss's loss became Palpatine's gain. Agents of the new Emperor discovered Thrawn on a barren jungle world and took him into their ranks. Despite a strong policy against non-human officers in the Imperial Navy, Thrawn ascended the Imperial ranks.

Before long, Thrawn attained command of an Imperial Star Destroyer, the Vengeance. When he transferred to the Admonitor, he was given the thankless task of mapping huge areas of the Unknown Regions. When in the depths of the galaxy's backwater, Thrawn re-established contact with the Chiss, who in the interim had been besieged by all manner of encroaching threats. Thrawn, who had once been banished for his bold leadership, was now being lauded for it. Many Chiss longed for his return, and Thrawn secretly established a base of operations on the distant world of Nirauan.

Returning to the Empire proper, Thrawn's star continued to rise unabated. He achieved the rank of Vice Admiral, and earned Vader's respect and access to his secret Noghri army. After helping dispose of the traitorous Grand Admiral Zaarin, Thrawn ascended to that rank himself.

After the Battle of Hoth, Thrawn returned to Outer Rim mapping duty. His ascent to Grand Admiral went without notice by Alliance Intelligence, thus his existence remained a secret. After the fall of Palpatine at Endor, Thrawn returned to Nirauan. He did not return to the Empire until four years after Palpatine's defeat.

Thrawn contacted Captain Gilad Pellaeon, and returned to the Imperial fleet. He then began a systematic campaign of retaking worlds in a bid to recapture Coruscant. His genius manifested itself best in constructing strategies from mere fragments of information. Thrawn was able to locate one of Palpatine's fabled storehouses, and there, found the technology necessary to begin growing a clone army. He found vessels for this army by discovering the long lost Katana Fleet. He recruited the maddened dark Jedi Joruus C'baoth and used his Force talents to better coordinate his scattered strikes. Thrawn also began to secure secret caches of cloned agents throughout the galaxy, ready to answer his call.

Thrawn's greatest oversight was the compelling leadership of Leia Organa Solo. Leia identified and befriended Thrawn's secret Noghri attackers. On their polluted homeworld, Leia was able to prove that the Empire had long exploited the Noghri's sense of honor. She showed how it was the Empire who was poisoning their world, not saving it. Incensed, the Noghri turned against their Imperial benefactors. At the height of the Battle of Bilbringi, Thrawn's faithful Noghri bodyguard Rukh killed the Grand Admiral with an assassin's blade.

The Imperial forces scattered, reformed, and scattered again in the ensuing power vacuum. Ten years later, word of Thrawn's miraculous return began to spread. In truth, it was not Thrawn at all, but Imperial conspirators using Thrawn's name and identity. Thrawn did, though, have some sort of plan to return. During this time, Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade made a chilling discovery on Nirauan: an incubating clone of Thrawn himself. The clone was killed before it ever drew breath, and the attempt to resurrect Thrawn's legacy was quashed.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2350/darth1b3bu.jpg

Visit the forums > The Galactic Core Forums

• SWR Staff - Executive
And all exactly copied from the link I posted... are people that lazy?

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

My impression was that Thrawn was the exception that proved the rule: the only Grand Admiral that deserved the title.

(Not counting Pellaeon, for whom it probably really was just an honorific)

I think we really dont know much about the other Grand Admirals. Thrawn was definitely one of the best...but the others we only catch little bits and pieces. And like someone else mentioned...I liked Dark Empire except for how they made it seem to be that Thrawn was a puppet etc...to me that just didnt fit in well.
http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

Well now... if you follow that link that Evaders99 provided last night and read through all of those posts, there's some interesting stuff. Pellaeon was a career naval officer (which is more than you can say about some of those oddballs Palpatine turned into Grand Admirals), and he knew his own limits (which is more than you can say about any of them, Zaarin and Thrawn included).

Somebody named "Grand Admiral Wetengel" (I think) said it better than I could have:

"Pellaeon bashing. Honestly, I see Pellaeon's promotion to Grand Admiral being a far greater honor than the rank having been given to any other. This wasn't a title handed down from a monarch, rather, Pellaeon received his promotion from his peers - from Dorja, Aban, Brandei and company who showed how much respect they have for Gilad Pellaeon by allowing him to take the reigns of the Empire, when any one of them could have easily plunged the remains of the Empire into another destructive period of Warlordism."

BTW Paul - Good luck on your treatment and GET BETTER! :)