I finally figured out how to be a good Imperial.

teukros

For some reason I could never get into the Imperial swing of things, but I'm sick of Mon Mothma :lol: A few days ago it finally clicked:

The Empire must use terror, suppression... and constant vigilance.

Screw the diplomats, if the garrison requirement for a world is > 1, have a General with high Leadership on hand (make sure the Emperor stays on his throne!) and deliberately provoke an uprising! Then send in the troops, declare martial law, suspend civil liberties, round up all suspected criminals and sympathisers, and hold public executions. Works wonders. That and the judicious reprisal (with nuclear warheads) will pacify the populations of most worlds amazingly quickly!

They'll never love you, but they'll be peaceful, and that's all that really matters.

It's also very important to have an espionage droid on EVERY controlled world, running espionage missions at ALL times. It's tedious, but forewarned IS forearmed!

(cue Imperial March)

Put an overpowered Solar Ionization Reactor in between two cheap-ass engines and a couple of laser cannon, put a chair with a rudimentary flight control and targeting computer on top, and surround the (unpressurized!) pilot with enough armor plate so he doesn't fry in a tenth of a second... riiiiiiiiight

Good going, I have never played as the rebels- just couldn't do it. I am an Imperialist by nature. One thing to remember is to have a powerful military machine. You must have troops, fighters, and numerous powerful fleets. Good luck in future wars of oppression. -Grand Moff Conway

The way I see it, if a planet dont like you, lwet the rebels have it. Than, and the rebels are firmly entrenched, launch a full scale attack on the system, and show the peasents what happans when the impre wants to flex its muscle.
I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

Good stuff.

Our Imperial doctorine of dictatorship and oppression is finally getting through!

It also works wonders to let the rebel vermin have an entire sector because it enables you to civilian-bombard with impunity. Who cares if they hate you when an entire sector hasn't got one mine or refinery to aid the scum. It also lessons the chances of you suffering natural disasters.

And if you want to win, leave those systems with 7 construction yards and 5 training facilities alone. They're useless without any maintenance points to build anything with.

**Pushes a few rebel captives into a glass cube full of piranha beetles to enjoy breakfast**

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

I use the diplomats on those pesky planets that have a garrison requirement of 1. :)
Put an overpowered Solar Ionization Reactor in between two cheap-ass engines and a couple of laser cannon, put a chair with a rudimentary flight control and targeting computer on top, and surround the (unpressurized!) pilot with enough armor plate so he doesn't fry in a tenth of a second... riiiiiiiiight

One thing to remember is to have a powerful military machine. You must have troops, fighters, and numerous powerful fleets.

In my current game I started with half of Sessawenna Sector in open revolt (and only one Imperial system in Sessawenna besides Coruscant). The Empire's position in Farfin and Sluis sectors was so untenable that it was immediately obvious that they could not be contested. The empire started with one Construction Yard (on Coruscant), and no Shipyards at all (and not one single neutral world with Construction Yards anywhere in Sessawenna, Dolomar, Corellian, or Fakir Sectors). Rather than spend hundreds of turns creating an Imperial shipbuilding capacity I concentrated entirely on:

A: building up a basic industrial capacity centered on Coruscant,

B: putting two GenCores on every Imperial world,

C: building up a troop training capacity centered on Coruscant, and

D: building army regiments up the wazoo

The army regiments made it possible for me to implement my strategy of Imperial conquest and occupation, deliberately provoking uprisings on occupied worlds and then brutally suppressing them. :twisted:

I think somewhere around turn 175 I finally built the first Imperial Shipyard, but that was mainly so Vice Admiral Thrawn would have something to do...

I'm playing an Imp game after having not played the game in a while. I decided that I'd check out the cutscenes I'd missed and try to lose, but its so hard. I get carried away, and instead of losing, I'm building too much :)

I don't know what's up with the AI, they won't attack as much as I'd hoped even on hard and raising the importance of every sector/planet. I don't even think they've tried to make a run on Coruscant yet. Heck I even left them an incentive to attack by letting them have 5 planets in Sesswanna. Maybe if I play a bit of peek-a-boo at those worlds with a Death Star visit.

Give Cain's TC a go. You tend to have the AI kicking bucket loads out of you before you're normally used to feeling 'safe and secure.'

Me just learnt over the weekend. :?

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Even with the imperials you get over extended some times. you need to use the diplomats just to keep things quiet untill you can make a huge pre-emptive strike and almost wipe out the entire enemy planet.

what should i do about sesswenna? i have all but two planets, bortas and corsin-- both have full rebel support and and AND luke is trapped and injured on bortras which is currently blockaded. how should i resolve this?

First you should try a nohgri abduction mission on Luke ASAP, then if you get luke invade the two rebel planets and use diplomats to get the planets loyal to you. Be sure to only invade 1 planet at a time; then use the diplomats then invade the other planet after loyalty for you is at 100%.-Grand Moff Conway

Injured or not, Skywalker is more trouble than any single planet is worth (and so is Solo). If you've got so many Noghri that you can't turn around without bumping into them, try some teams of two Noghri (no decoys) - you might get lucky. DO NOT use any real characters (Shenir Rix et al).

That's plan 'B'. Plan 'A' is: blockade the planet until you have enough Star Destroyers to pound it into rubble, and make the rubble bounce at least twice. Or a Death Star.

If there's anything left worth invading, send in the troops.

The exception to this might be if you have Lord Vader heading up an abduction team. I've never tried that so I don't know if it would work. The way the game is biased against the Empire it just might make the whiney little git ten times as strong (after a confrontation and battle with Lord Vader).

Yes, I have had some bad experiences with Skywalker.

Oh by the way (very important): after you invade a world the people will probably hate you. If you send in a diplomat it will take forever and a day to argue them around to seeing the error of their ways. Its like a Republican arguing with a Democrat, but worse. :) If the minimum garrison level is 1 or zero, you're good, send in the diplomats. Otherwise:

1. Make sure the Emperor is on his throne!!!!!

2. Have one or more officers with high leadership ratings on the planet - the more the better.

3. Have a ship with troops in orbit, or have reinforcements on the way and one day away from landing.

4. Reduce the garrison to one less than the minimum level to deliberately provoke an uprising.

5. After having all officers on hand start their subdue uprisings missions and landing reinforcements, check the new "minimum" garrison level and make sure that the number of regiments you have on the planet is exactly half of the inflated number which is displayed (if it says the minimum is ten regiments, you actually want five).

6. If the minimum garrison is one, please do not reduce the Imperial Regiments to zero (you'll feel very silly).

This sounds like a lot of work but believe me, this is the Imperial Ace. It works ten to twenty times faster than diplomacy.

It can also create an unstoppable snowball effect. Not only are you freeing up troops for new invasions, pacifying worlds and making things harder for the Rebels in the process, but every time an Imperial officer subdues an uprising, his Leadership increases...

I have never been one to intentionally bring on an uprising. It requires too many troops and risks your characters getting killed or injured while trying to suppress the thing. Using diplomats or better yet Lord Vader to do diplomatic missions may take time but is cheaper in the long run. As for what diplomats to use it depends on what diplomats you have in your version of the game. My setup has more diplomats than the standard Imperial setup, so I have more available. Use what you have around with good skills.

As far as Skywalker is concerned I don't worry about him much. If noghris can't get him don't worry about it. Just invade the planet and eventually you'll get him anyway. He can't hide forever.-Grand Moff Conway

Deliberately provoking an uprising (and then suppressing it) requires no extra regiments at all if you have Star Destroyers in orbit. It does require time (surprisingly little if you have ten seasoned officers!) but the upside is that it leaves your rear areas much more secure. Your Star Destroyers will probably be parked in orbit while you wait for the GenCores to be built anyway. And in the long run you can invade more Rebel worlds more quickly because of all of the troops which have been freed up (with the exception of critical industry worlds, no Imperial world should require a garrison of more than one regiment. I usually leave three to be on the safe side).

In my setup, Piett's base diplomatic skill is zero and the remaining diplomats' bases have been lowered to 40 (talking about minor characters only, Vader and the Emperor (who should never leave Coruscant) have not been altered). Which means that the Empire has to make do with diplomats whose diplomatic skill is like 47...

I recently had Shenir Rix get injured on an espionage mission (on an Imperial world). Dunno why, I think it was just random. But I've never had an Imperial officer get injured on a suppression mission. I've probably been lucky, but the results have definitely been worth the risk.

I tend to be a bit more cautious when it comes to my garrisons-6 clonetrooper regt's- 9 TIE or TIE Interceptors-and an espienage droid. And don't get me wrong, I'm no pacifist I use force frequently; I just use diplomacy as well. Sort of the carrot and the stick approach. Why invade neutral systems when diplomacy is easier and takes not much more time. By neutering your diplomats you've taken away one of the tools of any good ruler. But each to his own as long as we are all Imperials that's all that matters.-Grand Moff Conway

Not to say I haven't thought about it, but I've never invaded a neutral system. That would really be shooting myself in the foot. If worst comes to worst, the Rebels will get that system to join them, I'll invade, and all of the other systems in the Sector will say "oooh wow" and become more sympathetic to the Imperial cause. :wink:

An example (taken from my current game) of how effective the provoke-then-suppress tactic is: During the entire game, General Grammel was holding down the fort in Dolomar Sector, running around, putting out fires (with occasional help from Klev and Bin Essada). The Rebels were entrenched in the right side of the sector, with Caprionril, Sarka, Wor Tandell and Pantolomin, all solid red. Thanks to Bin Essada's efforts, the six Imperial systems were all solid green.

On turn 933 the Imperial Fleet finally arrived in the Sector, at Caprionril. There was a space battle which the Empire won, of course. There were neither shields nor troops protecting Caprionril so it was a simple matter of occupying the planet. Sarka, Wor Tandell and Pantolomin all went "oooh wow" and became about 20% green. :) However, the people of Caprionril hated our Imperial guts. They were still 100% red. Of course this meant that the minimum garrison was six regiments.

On turn 944 - only eleven turns later - Caprionril was about 50% green with a minimum garrison of one regiment.

This was thanks to the efforts of Jerjerrod, Brandei, Dorja, Bane Nothos, Orlok, Screed and Daala, all of whom conducted subdue uprising missions.

Well it obviously works for you so my advice for you is don't mess with a good thing! Your way and mine are definately different but we both get the galaxy over to our glorious Imperial side. We both use fleets to do battle with so what are your ideas on fleet makeup?-Grand Moff Conway

Ok sorry for the delay, now I have an update. Thanks for the tips, but I shot myself in the foot. I had performed a few assasination missions with Vader (being an idiot) and Luke was a Jedi Knight, so when I abducted him, he broke free, took Vader, the Emperor and fled to Commenor from Bortas. Fortunately, I had 3 planets in the Corellian sector, and had stationed one of my big fleets there. It was a 22 day trip for Luke Vader and the Emperor, so by the time they got there a fleet of 12 ships was waiting for them.

Skywalker abducted Vader and the Emperor?? 8O Oh man!

I warned you. :P:wink:

Grand Moff Conway, here are my templates for Imperial Fleets.

Interesting fleet makeups mine are as follows: Main battle fleets come in two types- 1 Kaiser class SSD with 3 Victory or 3 Victory II SD's along with 1 Dominator class Interdictor SD.

Second type of main battle fleet: 3 Imperial or Imperial II SD's with 3 Victory Class SD's with 1 Dominator class Interdictor SD.

Now when the Vindicator class SD is researched the fleet makeups are altered to include 3 Vindicator SD's instead of the Imperial class SD's. The Guardian also replaces the Victory class SD's as soon as it is researched.

For Sector fleets I don't have a set pattern I build to suite the situation. But generally it consists of 1 Imperial or Imperial II class SD with 3-4 Victory class SD's with a mixture of Carracks, Lancers, Dreadnaughts, and finishing up with a Dominator class Interdictor SD.

While these fleets are not huge they can be combined for projects as I see fit. When I need overpowered fleets I build a Deathstar or two, but generally that is overkill.

As to troops and fighters I startout with stormtroopers and upgrade to clonetroopers and darktroopers as they are researched. Fighters are a mixed bag as research allows I upgrade but find the TIE Intercepter to be a good deal-Grand Moff Conway