Warlord Game Stories

Krytos

By now, most who have played this wonderful mod for Homeworld 2 have battled many foes, both artificial and real. Here's your chance to spread tails of your spoils of war, or your terrible defeats in the galactic civil war between the Empire and the Alliance.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proparbly the most evil of defeats i suffered was a dumb mistake on my part. I was playing in the pre-njo era as the rebels against 3 expert ai imperials. Id happily been taking out everything with my beutifal fleet of 10 mc 90s and 3 of those big cruisers (the name will come back to me later). I'd been blowing up the first 2 ai and they didnt give me much of a challenge (couple of sd2s here and there), so i left the last ai for bout 10 mins..................bad mistake, they'd built their executor and an entire fleet of sd 3s and allegiance cruisers. I wasnt looking so smug then. Tis the last time i underestimate the ai.

Jacen Solo: "What happened to the war?"

Pellaeon: "It went away."

I guess I'll go second. This was one of the first games I played, in version 0.26c. I had set the build limit to normal, and a time limit of ROTJ. As usual, I played as the Alliance - which you'll probably notice as a trend in my games. This is a long read, sorry, so if you want the sumary jump to the bottom(Exuse the chose of writing style, just finished a good novel, and it's rubbed off on me a little :wink: ).

The game started off relatively easily, allowing me to produce my fleet of Mon Cals and support vessels. After getting only raid style attacks on my refinery ship, I sent off my first attack. My task force was met with little resistance as I attacked the Imperial units crossing through the centre of the map. I used this new foot hold to launch a fighter strike against the Imperial base, only to find it being gaurded by a single ISD plus some small frigates. Seizing the moment, I gathered my forces and made a quick strike at the heart of the enemy. As soon as the last fighter was destroyed, I began mopping up the base. By the time I got to the second last space station, a cruiser shipyard, I realised why my opponent had such a small fleet. Within a blink of an eye, the entire stretch of the sensor screen was filled with the dreaded image of an Executor SSD. Knowing the assortment of MC-80s that I had were no match for the new enemy, I retreated to my base in an attempt to rebuild my forces and use static defences to help.

Of course the behemoth followed after me, and soon its tip was at the centre of the battle field. Not long after that, it began bombarding my outer perimetre anti-starfighter defences. Releasing that the ship could easily destroy half my base while engaging my fleet, I moved my force off to meet it in a hope to delay the enivitable. My MC-80s couldn't stand up to the firepower the SSD poured over them, after each salvo of Imperial weapon fire another cruiser fell. Once my main offencive units were destroyed, the SSDs fire moved over to the smaller vessels circling it.

Fighters were fairing the best, as few weapons trained on them. Trying to take hold of the fighters advantage, I built up an armada of B-Wings to strike the enemy. By the time they were ready, my last Nebulon-B fell to a hail storm of warheads. Once the B-Wings were in position, I ordered a them to fire their topedos at the massive warship. Assuming that the small, nimble fighters would be able to dodge the fire of turbolasers, I figured if I kept re-enforcing their position with more fighters that the battle would be mine - wrong. As the B-Wings flew straight at the SSD, it opened fire on them, by the time the last torpedo was launched less than half of the fighters remained. On the continuing attack run the remaining units were all but wiped out when the forgot to change flight path AWAY from the multi-kilometre long ship (no debats on the SSDs length :wink: ) and ended up becoming kamikaze pilots.

The battle seemed hopeless, and defeat inevitable. That was until I noticed that the only units remaining, the only units that weren't being demolished by the SSD were 4 Corellian Picketships. The small vessels were very hard to hit, especially while spread over the length of the SSD as they circled it. With that, all resources went into producing picketships and the occational gunship or heavy corvette. As each vessel was constructed, they were sent off to battle - jumping them there was no longer needed as the SSD was at the door step of my base, ripping apart my static defences and firing on shipyard from long range.

After a pain stackingly long time, the armada of smallest support craft evential destroyed the largest of warships. My base, too, had been literally halved and I was only left with a Fight Factory and Destroyer yard. Taking the initiative, I repaired what was left of my support ships and built up a pair of MC-80s which returned to the already crippled Imperial base to finish it off without any more loss of life.

In short: Rebel fleet attacks Imp base. SSD is built and destroys Rebel fleet. SDD goes to rebel base and gets destroyed by picketships. Rebels regroup and destroy Imperial base.

The End :wink:

Proparbly the most evil of defeats i suffered was a dumb mistake on my part. I was playing in the pre-njo era as the rebels against 3 expert ai imperials. Id happily been taking out everything with my beutifal fleet of 10 mc 90s and 3 of those big cruisers (the name will come back to me later). I'd been blowing up the first 2 ai and they didnt give me much of a challenge (couple of sd2s here and there), so i left the last ai for bout 10 mins..................bad mistake, they'd built their executor and an entire fleet of sd 3s and allegiance cruisers. I wasnt looking so smug then. Tis the last time i underestimate the ai.

How can oyu play in the pre -NJO period?

pre-New jedi order mode, when you are setting up the game under the big things you can do just go through them, there shud be an era 1 and u can pick a few like ROTJ, Dark empire or Pre NJO, with the ai on expert pre-NJO is the only 1 i can beat the imperials as the rebels

Guest JediIgor
That seems pretty weird how a couple of picket ships took out a Super Star Destroyer.. personally whenever I play X-Wing Alliance the easiest way to take out an SSD is to use a starfighter (amazing the turbolasers took half of them down!).

Guest JediIgor
Well I just thought that was weird because regular Imperator-class SDs can never take any starfighters out :).

That seems pretty weird how a couple of picket ships took out a Super Star Destroyer.. personally whenever I play X-Wing Alliance the easiest way to take out an SSD is to use a starfighter (amazing the turbolasers took half of them down!).

The fighters were taken out for three reasons - one, they flew directly at the SSD and into the incoming fire of the SSDs broadside, two a lot of the remaining fighters crashed into the SSD in one sweep. And three, what was left of my B-Wings either got shot down (one or two squadrons) or crashed into the SSD on another attack run, fighters in the older versions were real kamakazi junkies. Since version 0.26c, I've only taken on a Vengence SSD - which was taken out by 8 DSDs and 3 Mediators, just to be safe :wink:

The Picketships didn't destroy the SSD without taking losses or in a short peroid of time. A lot of the smaller vessel (frigates or smaller) circle around their large targets - in this case, the SSD couldn't hit them easily because they kept moving around, and not directly towards it. Still, I probably lost five or more before the SSD was finally destroyed, which in itself was probably 10 - 20 minutes, seemed more like an eternity though!

Edited by Krytos

This story was with version 0.29 of Warlords - tis a long one as usual.

As usual, I played the Alliance, and for something different I had my opponent set as the Alliance as well. The game started like most of, the frantic build up of units and factories. However, after creating a small fleet and creating my Destroyer shipyard, my first Ferret Probe was constructed. Anyone who has used the Ferret knows the huge visual/scanner radius they have. It was a soon as it exited my fighter factory, and I switched to sensors to move it off to the centre of the screen did I notice that my opponent was literally next to me at the adjacent resource field 8O. I quickly sent my factories off to the other side of the map, though their extremely slow speed meant that I would have to stay behind in order to protect them and my refinery operation.

To give an idea of how close they were, when I got my first Defender class Star Destroyer it was able to fire into the enemy base from my Destroyer shipyard! By this stage my factories where probably less than twice the distance they use to be and my small fleet had given way to large capitals. The DSD’s incident sparked the war to life with the enemy fleet charging me. Earlier I’d sent off a small detachment of ships to protect my factories, though now they were in recall. I had expected the enemy to attack my larger cruisers, though instead my refinery collectors became the real targets. Ordering them back to my factories where, I let the bulk of my fleet become the new target. At this stage, the contingent of ships that had been guarding my factories arrived in time to deliver a salvo of weapon’s fire to take out a MC-80c Mon Remonda and cover my unit’s retreat.

The enemy vessels didn’t follow my fleet after they jumped to hyperspace, which was lucky – as I was concerned with moving my base, the enemy had time to create their own fleet. Thus, I resorted to plan B – 7 squadrons of my E-Wings attacking the enemy’s resource collectors. This got the AI’s attention, and even after my fighter jumped back to the safety of my base, the enemy followed them all the way back to my base. They were so hell bent on taking out the fighter that they were flying straight through my fleet without engaging, of course this allowed me an easy victory over the enemy’s fleet with no loss.

After finding the AI can be baited, and refitting my fighters, I sent them back to the same target. This time, however, they were re-enforced by an equal number of XJ X-Wings. The combined fighters took out all resource collectors and the guarding units without trouble – with the exception of a few suicide runs, again :roll: . This time as the enemy’s units chased my fighters, I sent them away from both my base and the enemy’s. Every now and again, I was forced to send my fighters back at the enemy as they stopped chasing the fighters. Eventually the bulk of the enemy’s units were far enough away from the bases. Nearly my entire fleet fell out of hyperspace behind the enemy fleet as my fighters jumped away from danger. My large attack group made short work of the enemy capitals and support, though the fighters took quite a while to eliminate. All up the ambush went off without a hitch. Loosing only two Neb-Bs and a Corellian Light Frigate, causalities were minimal.

Reuniting my forces with the three Mediator’s that were guarding my base, I made the final move in the game as my massive fleet arrived just within firing range of the enemy base. The surviving enemy unit’s were quickly mopped up by intense fire, as was the rest of the base shortly. With the exception of an MC-90 that was produced during the battle, there was no real opposition left in the final stages of the battle.

Well tis version 0.29 (doubt anyone plays a lesser version) and was Rebels vs The Imperials with me as the Rebels in the RoTJ timeline.

Started out like anyother battle against the expert ai, i quickly built 2 destroyer shipyards followed by a crusier yard and another fightershipyard. I quickly went into production of some MC-80s believing them to be more than adequate to harass the imperials. I hyperspaced in my first to be hit by a wave of Laser fire by the Imperials army of Dreadnaughts. Quite worryingly my MC-80 couldnt get a targetlock thus doing no damage (could do with that being sorted out) so i built an mc-80b and hyped it in. Same problem. Those two ships were quickly dispatched forcing me to send an MC-80b liberty i'd recently finished building. The Liberty managed to get a target lock at last but barely managed to take out 1 of 6 of the drednaughts before being destroyed. I was getting curios as to were the money of the Imperials was going so i let them continue their worthless lives........until a huge red triangle apeared on the map.............The Exectutor.

Before absolutely crapping my pants(watch the films, it only blew up because a random A-wing flew into its bridge) i set into the motion of building 10 mc-80bs 12 assault frigates, 14 x-wings and b-wings followed by numerous picket ships (having being told the Exectutor couldnt get a target lock on them) and corellian heavy corvettes, plus ofcourse 3 bulwark cruisers. Once that fleet had been completed it was time to teach those Imps a lesson.........but it was too late, while i had been building my army so had the imperials, an executor was one thing, but an Executor plus 6 ISD 2s was another. I knew i was sending my ships invain but i continued. A scratch, a bloody scratch was all i made in that SSD. I felt devestated (well not literally) but i had another matter to deal with in the shape of 2 lancer frigates and 2 strike cruisers making a quick break at my base. I rebuilt my fleet up to take care of the problem, and hey presto i was safe again........and then it crashed, damn. My computer probarly thought i was wasting my time. Never mind. Oh well. Better look next time ay. Hope you enjoyed my story as much as i enjoyed getting my ass kicked by the Imperials :lol:.

Ouch Pellaeon!!!! That was some Imperial fleet to come up against 8O

Shame your computer crashed (I know how it feels, happens to me all the time and now I have to save my game regularly), I would have loved to see if the Picketship tactic still works - or if the change in AI since version 0.26c has gotten rid of that little Achilles’ heel.

Great story Pellaeon - keep up the gaming :D:wink:

Hello everyone. Stories stories stories.... I got a few. I take this stuff too seriously I think, but hey, its so much fun!

I was the Empire... dealing death upon the pesky rebels on expert mode. With 2 additional random opponents, it turns out that 2 other fleets of Empirials were Rebel sympathisers! Curse them.... the emperor would not stand for this!

I built my facilities and on this occasion the research was off so it was "meant" to be a quick excursion. I turned my attention to the first Imperial traitor. My Execetor rolled off the production line and was immediately dispatched to his base while i rolled off ISD3s for base defence purposes and built up some defender ties as well. Once in the enemies base with the Execetor, I had about 8 ISD 1 and 2s to take out. Not really a problem. Oh, when using the execetor to take out an opposing base, if your level to the enemy, have the Execetor lower elevation. Will tilt its nose way down to let all the guns do thier lovely work. First Imperial traitor lasted a total of 1 minute and was dispatched 8 minutes 17 seconds. They put a ding in my armor though... Execetor was down to 85%. Now..... about those rebel dogs....

Hyperspacing the Execetor directly underneath the rebel shipyards was very rewarding as again, all guns were able to train. The rebels to my surprise had a very nice sized fleet! Took my Execetor down to 60%! Well done you scurvious dogs..... to bad all thier cruisers couldnt take the punishment they seemed to be able to deal. I stopped targeting base facilities in hopes they would produce more cruisers cause i was having a total blast. One by one cruisers fell. But... after 2 minutes of battle, i crew bored watching them trying desperately to live, so I put them out of thier misery. Rebels defeated 13 minutes into the game. I havent won yet.... oh yes, im forgetting the other Imperial squad that is Rebel Sympathisers. "Ano katagata jishin wa shi motte kuru!"

I hyperspaced the deadly ship to the Imperial base..... and then, I had my shutter.... the computer really DOES build SSDs.... A fresh new Vengeance appeared. My Execetor at 60% health going up against a Vengeance and a handful of ISDs.... why not? If the Execetor is destroyed, its only the loss of life of a couple million hands. There will be more children born in the Empire and i have enough money for another Execetor already. The emperor will not be bothered with trvialities like casualties, so neither shall I! The battle between the Execetor and Vengeance was hard fought. My fleet of ISD3s watched from a distance and cheered at this titanic battle. The Execetor targeted ISDs first as they were easier to destroy and eliminated some damage it was sustaining. Also, it was a pretty little display of fireworks. In the end, the Execetor destroyed the Vengeance only to be taken out moments later by light fighter fire.... oh the humility. With build limit set on 1 SSD at a time, i hadnt started construction of my second until now. I began production and started building an entire squad of frigates as well as corettes just in case of a counterstrike..... but the counterstrike never came.... and i dwindled my resources to the point that the Execetor was slowly being produced as i aquired resources. Then the computer finished it's first Execetor and it lumbered toward my base. As my ISD3s cringed and drank thier final drinks and prepared for a suicide charge, my second Execetor was completed and my fleet rejoiced. It lumbered to meet the incoming giant and as it was taking tremendous damage, it was elevated too high with its bow facing the enemies broadside. Wasnt looking good. As i meneuvered the behemoth to use her guns I sent out my ISD3s to add damage, for my titan was losing. The enemy Execetor would train a few guns on them just long enough to destroy them but it was working. They were evening out the damage between the 2 ships. Finally, the sympathisers SSD exploded in a very satisfying way that the emperor would be pleased at. I hyperspaced the Execetor under the enemy base at 10% health and watched it blow stuff up until it died. Then my fleet of ISDs met the dogs considerable number of ISDs in battle... they overcame my force and I was forced to withdraw. My 3rd Execetor rolled off the assembly line and I jumped it underneath the base of the enemy.... then I went afk to go potty and when i returned, i got to see the flashing lights of a cleansed deficient imperial unit. Defeated 1 hout 23 minutes. Was a lot of fun. hehe.

Oh, anyone know when i get a Death Star? Cause, I need more power. LOL.

Lina

Lol very funny story, but didnt you hear the emperor be long dead, imperial dog, and now the republic is the way forward. As for a death star im not sure there is going to be one (though i think i may have seen a screenshot of it on the main website)

I do have some other funny stories to tell, but alas, im becoming bored with this anoying AI. Its almost like its sleeping. Today i played without resource injections and research on with 2 opponents (more than that and just the resourcer units begin to lag me). One opponent midgame didnt even build anything. And are modular battleships or whatever they are worth anything? Its the rebel version of a cruiser, and my ISD soloed it. Ive beaten the game in so many ways and the computer on the hardest level doesnt really try to challenge me. It rolls over and waits for me to spank its ass..... which does turn me on but thats beside the point. Computer ive found is only really challenging mid to late game with resource injections cause when im fighting it for resources, it always loses. And it doesnt even try to find other resource fields. It wants mine and thats all there is to it. Uh uh... im not givin you mine. Find your own damn you!

Liena

The AI does become a bit boring, so you need to sproose it up - I try small maps so you don't have time to build up. Get some nice, fast paced action - I'm currently doing Fields of Plaz with three opponents and it started off extremely intense as I was sharing a resource field with one enemy who I was forced to destroy and a second enemy almost building inside the first's base - who have just finished building a Vengence, which is now bearing down on my base defenders (I've only got 2 DSDs :( )

As for the Death Star - not sure exactly, though try the map DS Test, there's a Deat Star II their that is controllable I havn't played it long enough to know if it has weapons though :?

. . . the emperor be long dead, imperial dog, and now the republic is the way forward.

Long live the New Republic! Good to see another Republic commander braving the Imperial tyranny that still plagues the galaxy in an effort to rid us of their burden (no offence Lina :wink: ) :D

Hopefully this Friday I'll have enough time free to complete the game I was mensioning and be able to post the results - hopefully . . .

Still testing various conditions in the game. Im finding the AI to be sporadin in intellect. Couple factors im noticing is the resourcing. If i disable resourcing (which also reduces lag.... some), the computer has a much more stable income and will build ships intelligently and attack me in force when they are ready to... not just throwing random units at me which i quickly destroy with the best ships for the job. With resourcing on and injections off, the computer is seemingly very frantic trying to get resources that im not gonna let them have.... cause im greedy and want it all. This destroys thier offensive capability because they are constantly forming small strike groups that are ineffective in an effort to claim territory. Still experimenting with this aspect by trying new combinations of unit caps and whatnot. So far, this theory has been holding true in my games.

Oh, and no offense taken hon. Im imperial to the core. God help me but i love Vader... i wanna be his girl for life! Hes soooo cool. Besides... the empire has the biggest ships. And let me tell ya hon.... im a girl that really appreciates that sized DOES matter :twisted::wink:

I was alliance against 3 imps and I hap it at heavy frigat build reistrictoin. I did not think we would be so close so the whole time enemies were there(for some reson everytime they got into my base they would retreat).As a last dich defence I bulit 3 ion platforms. I had only 3 nebulans. THE ION CANNONS ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN 2 MINITES THERE WHERE 5 LANCERS AND CRACKS IN THE MIDDLES OF OUR BASES! AND THEY DIDN'T RECOVER! Then the game crashed. :lol::cry:

hey Krytos just thinkin back to what you said about us good old republic heros (yes imperial dogs we are), i never realy paid attention to my name lol, guess i deffeceted i suppose (well he sorta does in the NJO books).

Well, if there's any Imperials out there worth being named after (even in the New Republic), it would be Pellaeon - he wasn't your usual Imp.

My name, too, has Imperial heritage. The Krytos virus, though I've used it in my own interpretation - where the Imperial virus killed off any species other than humans in order to attack their enemy, I use it as an entity that defeats the enemies of the New Republic (hint hint Imperials :wink: ) . . . that and it sounds cool :roll: