Rebellion 2

Guest JediIgor

That might work for the initial Betas, but with the work that the people above would be putting into it, I think that having it free would diminish it a little. Paying for their masterpiece would be better in the end.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JediIgor
First, let the masterpiece be finished.

That's why the best idea would be for it to be free until it's finished :). Now doesn't that sound good? :P

Right, well we asked LucasArts on the legal status of a project like this and I just got back an automated reply. So as far as i'm concerned they were contacted regarding the legal position and were to high and mighty to compose a civilized reply. :| Such is life.

Igor, I don't know if you want to give it a go.

I suggest pressing on with any plans; Lucas Arts obviously arn't interested in their loyal consumers. :?

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

I think we should be ok now. Considering that if LKucasarts decide to take us to court we can say that we asked and received a reply that suggested that we were allowed to do it.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Guest JediIgor

Jahled, stop by #swrebellion in irc.swcic.net (me and eville are there atm).

I think we should go on with it anyways, the only thing "Star Wars" is relevant to is the names and the art, both of which we could change prior to release and provide a free Star Wars mod for download from the main site (Troopers, Galactic Conquest, etc) :D.

Guest Admiral_Antilles
Sounds great, Igor. I look forward to having this project get going. PM me if you need an extra guy. I will be more than glad to pitch in. :)

I just had some ideas a few days ago about Rebellion 2.

But since it seems LEC is going to abandon what could've been the greatest strategy game ever (their mistake) ..

What would be everyone's thoughts if it was possible to make an unofficial sequel (or something along those lines) but if it took many, many years (~5ish) to do it?

:arrow: I didn't have time to get online 2-3 days and when I come I see JediIgor ....wow nice to see you back, Btw I've tried so hard to keep you noticed that people are still working and makeing TC's around in SWR. Btw if you see the TC download area you will see that in the PTESB your ideeas were implemented (also Mask's and lLa_Forge) to great effect ....to bad I can't upload the 2.5 yet......

anyway I didn't read the thread yet I've posted to say welcome back :) ...I will edit soon :)

:arrow: hey guy's since I'm in vacation I can't acces my net at work so if there is no other way than downloading a ftp program I can't acces my SWR account from a netcaffe :( (I was planing to upload the 2.5 from a netcaffe) since at home I have 5 kb speed max :(

Edited by Cain

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

The only problems that LA could give you is if you want to charge for it at some point. That would be copyright infringement. The only way you could do this is if it were free, even after it is finished.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

They wouldn't just want some of the money, they would want all of it, and then some of yours that they would get through the legal system, and then they would take the game and turn around and sell it...

Most likely. LA is very protective of all of thier games, and any game that is based upon one of thiers that has the ability to make profit would undoubtedly fall into that category. Because it would infringe upon their copyrights, the game would technically be thier property, despite the fact that they had no hand in its creation, and thus can do with it as they please. I would suggest making it free and then if it is popular, contact LA and see if you could make arrangements for a joint venture. This has been done with CS and DoD, though Sierra is more flexable with thier products than LA...

Guest JediIgor

Yeah, we can try that, the best thing to do for now is to open source it anyways, :).

Anyways, if you guys want to give me some suggestions hang out in #swrebellion please, it's a lot faster over IRC than over forums :).

hello,

this sounds like a really interesting project. I'd like to add:

when designing everything, keep as much as possible modifiable. for example: names in the game: instead of 'luke' use 'luc'. same kind of variation for all names really, interchangable resources like that. strings like that could just be read from a plain text file really, and that's easy to edit. the same applies to pictures and other media resources.

this makes the foundations of the game easily modifiable: encourages longevity of the game and helps with sequel sales. it also covers the game from any legal issues that might be faced because of using star wars only stuff. by not using star wars exclusive material, you don't have to worry about lucasarts. however having the game modiafiable from the ground up, it's a no brainer to port the non star wars game into a full star wars branded game.

about the engine, of course you want to make one yourself! it's not like anyone here is willing to fund big dollars for a project like this :)

open source and free? No way! Best to keep it private within a dedicated team that works on it. Dedicated team, not just anyone wanting to give it a go, get full access, and then depart a week later, because then things can get leaked. When it's done and done then it's time to consider releasing it, which brings me too...

LucasArts publishing it. With a solid game, the work nearly cut out for them (short of QA and the distribution deals) and a good presentation, I fail to see how LucasArts wouldn't want to publish such a strategy game. There's a big market for strategy games, and imagine with the Star Wars name on it, it expands the market potential big time. Of course LucasArts will demand a percentage, although think of it this way:

(not real numbers of course)

without star wars name: 25,000 sales x 39.95, 100% goes to the swrebellion.com team

with star wars name: 250,000 sales x 39.95, 30% goes to the swrebellion.com team

cool huh? :D

• SWR Staff - Executive

So this is our.. 4th effort at such a Rebellion 2. While I'm sure Igor and Eville Jedi can get a lot done, actually making this would require a dedicated team that will be hard to get. Making it open-source would help with some legal issues, but people will be expecting more information than a closed project.

As to LucasArts, there is no interest in doing another RTS. They want developed games, as apparent from such as AOE engine, Battlefield 1942, etc. If pitched to them, they would shut it down.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I hope i'm not too late!!

I came across this site looking for models and I saw this so I joined...

I program in VB at the moment. I'm a VB5 vetran and a noob .NET but i'll figure it out soon.

Anyways, I've been looking at DirectX (Version 8 In particular) for the past age, and If you were to make a REBII then I'd assume that would be what you would use. I'm a good problem solver and programmer, but the only thing that I have trouble with is planning things before I start (Which really helps and cuts off time). The Problem: I don't. :) Anywho, That would cover the programming aspect.

So if you would like (coz i certainly would) I could help you with REBII.

I also have some experience with modelling and (not much but some) with texturing, etc.

Whadda you say?

The only problem that we've had the last.... two times this has come up, is that every one has RL stuff to work around. If you look at all of the mod teams that work on games like UT 2004 or C&C Generals is taht they are working feverishly on thier mods. TO create a game would require even more time and more dedication. I've no dobt that there is the interest, but the dedication I think would waver.