RebEd Installation Procedures

nal2us2

After installing RebEd.... What folder do I place it in?   Do I place it in the Rebellion Installation Folder?

I tried that and after making changes in RebEd  I dont see those changes occurring in my Rebellion Game?

Help!!!!  Please Help!!!!! 

• 7 months later...
On 3/26/2022 at 12:10 PM, nal2us2 said:

After installing RebEd.... What folder do I place it in?   Do I place it in the Rebellion Installation Folder?
I tried that and after making changes in RebEd  I dont see those changes occurring in my Rebellion Game?
Help!!!!  Please Help!!!!! 

I've had trouble getting back into things too. Took me about a week to get it running properly in windows 10, 64.

Hopefully this link doesn't get the post flagged as spam but this guide helped me out immensely.
https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_rebellion/this_is_how_to_make_rebed_load_cards_and_other_modding_info
I'll go through the basics here just in case the link needs to be deleted.

RebEd Install:  First of all, it doesn't really matter where you install RebEd. What is important is that you only do so after you've installed Rebellion and run the game once. If you have to re-install rebellion (or if you perform verify files on the steam version) you'll need to re-install RebEd.

Next important thing is to always install RebEd using its launcher. If you just copy paste the program in it's going to act as though you haven't installed Rebellion. Or worse things.
(Yes this can get annoying, so make sure to save your changes in RebEd so you can reload them later.)

Once RebEd is installed check if the d3drm.dll file is in the same folder that the RebEd program is currently in. You need this. If it's missing just copy it from your Rebellion game folder.

Making it work: The next step is going to require registry editing. I screwed this up a lot. Backup your registry.
Yockey on the gog forums explains 2 different ways to go about this. I've personally never gotten Method A to work, but other people have.
Method A: Moving Rebellion's MDATA folder and pointing registry redirects at it so it works.
Method B: Mimic a Rebellion CD.

Method A: In your Rebellion folder Create a new folder with a basic name like "Trick" drag the entire MDATA folder into this folder. (This will temporarily break the game.)  Next manually edit the registry or use a prepared file. I screwed it up enough that I just made up a prepared file.

Manual Edit: Start up Regedit and go into Edit > Find > DllLocation

Make sure you find registry entries for Rebellion, then change the DllLocation entry to point to your main Rebellion directory. In the same registry area, you should see "TooBigLocation". This needs to point to the Trick folder.

Method B:

Move the MDATA folder back into your main Rebellion directory, delete the Trick folder, and then copy your entire Rebellion folder. Go to another hard drive, partition, or pop in a thumb drive to use, then paste the entire Rebellion directory to this new location. Ensure the folder name is just "Rebellion". For example, if you installed Rebellion into C:\<anything>, then copy and rename the folder to D:\Rebellion.

This will mimic the CD. Go back into the registry and change DllLocation and TooBigLocation to point to this new place (D:\Rebellion as an example).

If the registry editing isn't pointing to exactly the right place RebEd and maybe Rebellion itself wont run properly.

Ran out of time writing this. I'll edit the post with expanded instructions and registry editing file stuff when I get home. -def

For those having difficulty with the registry editing portion it's possible to simply make your own file that can be loaded. It can also be convenient to speed things up a bit if you're constantly having to re-install Rebellion. I read about this on pcgamingwiki and with some tweaks it worked for me.

The following will be an example Registry file for 64-bit Windows. You will likely need to change the pathing for your precise install location of Rebellion. For this one I'll be using the default install location of Rebellion with Steam.

Step 1: Create a new file with Notepad or Notepad++. Either works fine.

Paste the following into the new file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Star Wars Rebellion]
"DisplayOpts"=dword:13110100
"MusicVolume"=dword:000002bc
"Volume"=dword:000002de
"EncyLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Star Wars - Rebellion\\EData"
"EXEPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Star Wars - Rebellion\\REBEXE.EXE"
"TooBigLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Star Wars - Rebellion\\"
"DllLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Star Wars - Rebellion\\"
"DataLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Star Wars - Rebellion\\"
"InstalledLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Star Wars - Rebellion\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Star Wars Rebellion\Version]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\Star Wars Rebellion]
"CommandLine"=""
"GUID"="{015962A0-F183-11d1-B390-006008B0AB18}"
"File"="REBEXE.EXE"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Star Wars - Rebellion\\"
"CurrentDirectory"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Star Wars - Rebellion\\"

Some of it is going to look a little weird.  If you're using Notepad ++ you're going to see a whole bunch of colour coded sections and so on now.
Example picture here:

501023119_NotepadRegistry.thumb.gif.f07fef45a10cede6205f68b12543db4d.gif

^
Once that's all in you can go ahead and change any paths so that things are properly pointed at your Rebellion install. I dont have my steam games installed on my main drive so the default paths didn't work for me.

If you're using Method B from the post above and put a copy of Rebellion on a different drive, you'll be changing the paths for DllLocation and TooBigLocation to the alternate lettered drive. Like this:

"TooBigLocation"="G:\\Rebellion\\"
"DllLocation"="G:\\Rebellion\\"
Change the letter to the appropriate drive as needed.

Once that's all done you can go ahead and save your new file wherever is convenient. I usually keep it near my RebEd install for obvious reasons.
Make sure you save the new file with the .reg extension so that your computer recognizes it as a registry file. This works fine in either text editor. If you accidentally save it as a .txt file don't worry, you can just change the extension to .reg and the computer will now know what to do with it.

Now you just double click your new registry file to add it to the registry and deal with the standard User Account Control warning. That's it, you're done!  If everything was pathed correctly you should be able to run RebEd without all those pesky warnings about not having a full install.  (I still had to go into the partial installer inside RebEd and flip things back and forth a bit before I could edit the encyclopedia entries, but that's its own problem.)