List of Modding Tools and Programs

Ludo Kressh

This is mainly directed to Lavo and Warb, due to the nature of the work they do for this mod. However, if any others out there in the ether want to contribute, go for it. :)

I have alway been curious as to what tools and programs you guys use to do the work you all do, primarily concerning models, skinning, and rigging them for ingame usage. I, as well as a number of the people to show from time to time here, are familiar with the EaW process of rigging and such, modeling notwithstanding; is it not much different when it comes to SoaSE, or is it another process entirely?

All this info is available in one form or another of the SoaSE forums, but since you guys are, by and large, pros at what you do, why not go to the pros and ask them? So, if you guys would be so kind as to list the programs you use to work your magic and some pertinent tips towards using them successfully, I know I would certainly appreciate it. :D

Here're my general-purpose tools:

Entity editing: Notepad++ (Props to Lavo for this recommendation)

Graphic design and editing: Paint.NET

I use Photoshop CS5 for any and all image editing, with a less than legal version. Model making is done in 3ds Max. Rigging can be done in either 3ds Max or Softimage XSI (the latter being free), I use the latter personally as I find it easier to use. A number of modeling/rigging tutorials can be found here: soase.x90x.net The main differences between EaW rigging and Sins rigging are as follows:

1) Rigging in Sins is purely cosmetic, in EaW it's for the actual weapons.

2) Sins nulls need a direction and also need points for buffs and abilities. In EaW this was unneeded as any necessary directions were defined in the hardpoint's XML entry.

3) Sins models need to have a tangent map, and, in general, need to be exported as a single model with multiple materials. In EaW you could have multiple "sub-component" models to a main model; this is how things such as real turrets and losing pieces of a ship is possible.

Warb can add to this as I'm not overly familiar with EaW rigging.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.