Temporary Alternate Beta Download

Lavo

I'm sure you're all impatiently waiting for the SVN to come back online, like myself, so I've gone out and uploaded the beta elsewhere. As mentioned in this thread, it's been broken up into a few modules, so you don't have to load all of the mod's assets when playing, to save on RAM usage. Further, you will be able to checkout to these folders once the SVN comes back up; so you won't be using up too much more of your bandwidth. Make sure the CORE module is at the bottom of your mod list, like so.

CORE:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1qx4mr43wmicm18

http://www.mediafire.com/?js288vx6rnx06a5

http://www.mediafire.com/?x1n6zou741xj4e8

http://www.mediafire.com/?f428j839tajnu1y

This one has been broken up into parts; download all four then open the first link in this list to extract.

Alliance:

http://www.mediafire.com/?kmh35nltxh1nck1

CIS:

http://www.mediafire.com/?aaduxul62yo2tjn

Republic:

http://www.mediafire.com/?h6z4ev1x5fe77sk

NR:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7tsw8u07g4ngkug

Also, soon after uploading I noticed a small bug regarding artifacts. Once you have downloaded all of the mods' folders, please extract this patch, overwriting when prompted.

The Vong haven't been uploaded as I'm not ready to release 'em for testing just yet. They do work fine, but they haven't gotten the AI overhaul the others have. There have been a lot of changes, such as: entirely redoing frigate build and supply costs (most frigates cost <1 supply; still need to update the strings to reflect this), making the Trafed II FG have antiveryheavy damage (makes it much more useful), removal of the MC80 SFRS (Liberator has been buffed up, has full squadrons), fixed up the MC80 Diplo capital, added the Dauntless capital ship (uses a filler model atm, costs need to be balanced), removal of the Torpedo Sphere capital and creation of the Torpedo Sphere cruiser, among many others.

Edited by Lavo
Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! :D

Thank you so much for taking the time to upload them, Lavo. I was just about to squeak out of obscurity to inquire about some alternate means of file transfer, in case we're left out to dry for much longer.

Also, as an optional download, I've reworked the Galaxy.dds texture to function properly - no more choppy, warped poles.

http://speedy.sh/USfud/Galaxy.zip

Keep in mind, it's a pretty big little file. It should be manageable, however.

More Galaxy.dds fixes? Dohohoho! I'll look into this when get back Monday. Assuming it doesn't have a lower quality than the current one; I'll slap it in. Also, I'm upping a new patch; it'll be cumulative and fixes an issue related to artifacts not showing up when discovered. Edit: It's up.

Sounds good!

I did try to get the thing to work properly, and so far in-game it looks quite seamless, save for the ends of the galactic plane (as they don't blend in well with one another). The total size of the texture in square pixels was something over 50 million, so this is as detailed as you can get...maybe.

Did I mention I love the modulization you've implemented? Cutting the mod's RAM usage while retaining the the whole of it is just awesome. It leaves room for some pretty sweet expansion ideas in the future beyond the Vong...The Imperial Remnant, the KotOR/TOR era (just swap the Clone Wars Reps for the JCW Reps, CIS for the Sith, and the Empire for the Mandos), and so on.

Great job, bro! :D

Edited by Ludo Kressh

The galaxy map you put in... Looks beautiful. It's absolutely stunning and will certainly be implemented, kudos on it!

Got the idea from ZombieRus5/myfist0, figured it would work decently, and it does. Plus, as long as someone else is willing to supply an updated entity.manifest, brush.manifest, and strings file, they can make an entire sub-faction, complete with UI elements, and stack it on top of the CORE module while taking advantage of the already present planets and maps. The Empire will always be present of course, but that's due to them being too integrated in the CORE module to be viably separated.

Yeah, I know what you mean! xD

Some upcoming things:

- Crystals converted from cotton candy pink to Nova Crystal green, per canonicity and a reference to Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds; the Underground menu buttons are proving difficult to locate, so stay tuned.

- Various string changes:

+ Name changes (very minor, IE: Trade Port to Spaceport; Metal Extractor to Ore Extractor, etc.)

+ "Star Wars-ified" research items (Arcology, Bureau of Ships and Services, etc)

+ New ship classification system based off of the Anaxes War College System, with some influences from SWGB, and the US Navy's system

- Cleaned up planet icons - no more "squared-off haze" over the real-time planet icons when zoomed out.

- Cleaned-up Galaxy.dds texture

Some more things to come...as time and originality permit. :)

Thanks for the update Lavo.

Thought i'd mention i got a minidump on startup. Only after i disabled the vong did it work like it should.

I know you said the vong aren't updated yet but i didn't expect them not to work or cause a crash.

I love the new shipyard but isn't it way too big? it completely dwarfs the ships it builds.

Well, shipyards are quite large. It would be canonically correct to have them dwarf their products by a substantial margin. Personally I thought it brought a bit more immersion to the game.

I have a question: do we already have some ideas for a new Frigate Factory to complement the new Capital Shipyard? If not, I would suggest the following:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080401203512/starwars/images/b/bb/Sluisvan_swkm.jpg

or

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070109010609/starwars/images/d/d2/Mon_Calamari_Shipyards.jpg

And for the Repair Platform:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090218191002/starwars/images/d/d3/DamorianRY.jpg

The new Capital Shipyard is indeed awesome. Overall, you guys have outdone yourselves. :D

I personally despise the size of the capital shipyard, but I made it this big due to the Viscount... Any smaller and the Viscount doesn't fit well. With the move to Rebellion, and supercaps being spawned via abilities, I will change their scale; I will be able to "change" the size of supercaps while they are being "built" at the shipyards, namely the Viscount and Executor, which will mean that I can also downscale the shipyard itself.

Yeah, I've deleted and moved some files, so it doesn't surprise me that an old version of the Vong causes a crash, though I wouldn't expect it to.

I haven't thought of an idea for a new frigate factory, mainly as I'm satisfied with the current one. That being said, if someone is willing and/or wishes to make one, by all means do so; I'd be happy to put it in. Actually, now that I think about it, a little while ago Warb made the Silus Van yard; it lacked a "hole" for ships to "exit" from. In hindsight, that could work very well for frigates.

Also, that very same repair platform is already ingame, if you haven't seen it yet Ludo. ;)

I wouldn't use Sluis Van as a frigate shipyard. It is a huge station and you cant see anything being build. I think it would be more suited as a new republic trade station.

If the frigate yard is to be replaced i was thinking about the bilbringi dock.

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10655 (i can't find a better pic online)

Glad to hear the shipyard will be reduced in scale in rebellion. The Titans will get their own shipyard in rebellion right. I think i'll reconfigure the telgorn to better fit the titan.

The Mon Cal Shipyard Ludo showed is modelled by EvilleJedi, so it's available should you want it

I look forward to seeing those string and art changes Ludo! Also, while I've been a bit too busy/lazy to do it, I've been planning to rename metal to neutronium and crystal as lommite. Odds are I'll rename the refinery to be "Durasteel Foundry", however feel free to change/differentiate these, strings are your playground to have fun with!

The Titans will get their own shipyard in rebellion right.

They will not. For SoGE, Titans in Rebellion will be buildable via an ability on the capital ship factory. This is due to the one Titan limit, Titans re-spawning with their pre-death XP, and Titan factories being a tactical structure, which abilities circumvent. The AI will have access to a unique "capital ship" factory, which is actually a Titan factory, encase the autocasting ability to build Titans does not want to work.

This is what I meant by being able to change the "size" of the Viscount and Executor; as they are being spawned via an OnDelay buff, I will be able to spawn a particle effect on the center point of the factory which will display the ship in dry dock, being built. When this ability fires, it will temporarily halt all ongoing construction, as you can't be building two ships at the same time.

The Mon Cal yards could work. Is the inner station "part" of the yard hollow? Or is it only

I think i realy need to get rebellion beta because most of what you said went straight over my head.

So soge supercaps are different from titans? sins titans do build from a seperate shipyard but to circumvent the one titan limit you need to build titans via an ability on the capital shipyard?

doesn't that make the titans "free" or does using the ability cost a lot of credits?

Do titans just re-spawn upon death or do you have te re-buy them?

The Mon Cal yard is hollow with a hole nearly as big as the "scaffolding".

The dauntles placeholder is a mon cal. Is that because lack of time or don't you have a model?

quick mockup fo a shipyard reconfig.

this way it can fit both normal capital ships and titans at full scale. the titans would probaly have to spawn from a different point (farther from the yard)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h160/Darth_Thistle/shipyardmockup.jpg

For the Dauntless; it's neither actually. I'm waiting for the move to Rebellion to rig up the Dauntless model I have because it will likely have more than three weapons. As such, I'd rather rig it all in one go so to speak, versus doing three of the weapon slots now and 1-2 of them later. I haven't taken a good look at it, it's an old one from z3r0x's mod, I can send it to you/post a pic of it if you're curious.

Also, seeing that shipyard, I have an idea. Perhaps I can/should re-scale the Telgorn to be used as the frigate factory, and that one as the capital ship yard? It certainly looks as if it can handle the size of the various supercaps without looking entirely out of place.

I'll try to explain Rebellion's Titans for you. In a nutshell, they are extremely powerful units, something along the lines of an uber capital ship, and are their own entity type. They are, normally, spawned by the Titan Factory. Each faction can only have a single Titan at any time. When a Titan is destroyed, and you then rebuild it, the Titan will spawn with the same amount of XP that the previous Titan had upon it's death.I plan to use the supercaps as Titans upon our move to Rebellion.

I think you can imagine the issues that could occur with say, a Viscount being destroyed and then suddenly rebuilt with full XP. Or, how the Republic, CIS, and Alliance are at a serious disadvantage under this system as their "best" supercap is not nearly as powerful in comparison to, for example, the Executor one on one.

Both of these issues however, can be circumvented by making Titans spawned via ability instead of being "built" at a Titan facility. The ability of course would cost a large amount of resources, and if my understanding of Rebellion is correct, the required amount of fleet supply and capital ship crews. The ability would not be able to autocast if these conditions are not met. Further, with this ability, one can play around with the buffs in such a way that the ability only allows for X amount of ships of said type to be in existance at a given moment. I'm thinking of putting in the following Titan caps: Executor/Viscount/World Ship - 1, Mandator/Malevolence/Mon Remonda - 2, and Praetor/Mediator/Geo SDN (post nerf)/Allegiance/Ro'ik Va'lh/Independance - 4. In addition, I will make it so that people can only construct one of their faction's two supercaps, either by using Rebellion's faction tech requirement or by making separate factions that have access to one supercap or the other.

However, even though the ability is set to autocast, the AI has a tendency to be mentally deficient. As such, it will have access to a Titan Factory, unlocked by the AI-only research item. This way it will be able to build Titans normally if necessary.

Also, that very same repair platform is already ingame, if you haven't seen it yet Ludo. ;)

Oh yeah! :V

I do like the idea of the MonCal shipyard model becoming the capital factory. It looks modular enough, and that the ship itself is essentially floating outside while being built resolves the issue of the shipyards being large enough to house the supercaps. The Telgorn as the frigate factory sound equally fine. But it's up to you guys.

Here are the new textures for your perusal:

http://www.speedyshare.com/sq38C/SoGE-Entrench-Textures-1.25.zip

Some things still have minor glitches (Some research items disappeared when adding some files; should be easy to locate and re-implement). The graphical effect in the underground window depicting crystal prices is, I believe, hard-coded. Still, the system works, despite the green vs pink effects for the crystals.

To boot, I modified some of the menus to a more "Imperial gray" scheme. Buttons are to follow at some point, as I figure out how to replicate the style with minimal 'shopping.

Included in the download is a key to the new ship classifications. Use it for reference, though I think the system is simple enough you guys can figure it out rather quickly.

Let me know what you guys think.

Another question: Since the Cargo Ferry from X-Wing Alliance is now the Heavy Constructor, I would suggest http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CT-11_Space_Tug as a decent stand-issue space tug, at least for the Alliance, Empire, and NR, and perhaps the Republic. The CIS can use something else, perhaps, such as a cross between a Sheathepede shuttle and the CT-11, or something. Food for thought, unless there are already plans set.

Edited by Ludo Kressh

Thanks Lavo, clear as a bell.

So, i'll go ahead and make a capital yard based on the mock-up above. The telgorn we have now can be the frigate yard.

I allready have the dauntless, i was just curious why the mon cal. makes sense now.

I have a very, very low poly model of the tug but i think it is much too small to be usefull. depending on the version it's either 5m or 11m. I think another XWA relic, the heavy lifter, is better suited as construction frigate.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Lifter

All factions can use the same ship except for the Vong. got any ideas for that

Agreed on the Heavy Lifter - that's MUCH more appropriate for the task.

As for the Vong, I honestly couldn't say. Perhaps something like this?:

http://images.mocpages.com/user_images/6720/1207020476_SPLASH.jpg

Only, a bit more coral-like, with some flagellum-like propulsion structures in the rear.

Also, I re-uploaded my texture pack, with a few corrections and additions thrown in for kicks.

Got the old texture pack; you did a good job with it! Mind you I had to wad through the strings file, did a handful of corrections... For future reference, when changing something like "crystal" don't do a replace all... You'll break a lot of string IDs that way. >_> I see you broke a bunch of HUD icons, though that shouldn't be too hard to fix. I'll look at the new texture pack soon.

I also noticed that the fleet research tab is suddenly missing the two big supply and fleet icons. Could you fix that? I'd also like to request, for the research tabs with multiple research "pages" (military and civilian tabs), to put some sort of separator between them, or a "box" like base Sins. Would look prettier that way, and is helpful to literally see which item is in which page.

For the constructor, agreed on the Heavy Lifter. I can't say I'm too fond of the vanilla one, just haven't brought it up as I personally had no idea there was a nice SW equivalent. I think Ludo's idea for the Vong could work very well.

Got the old texture pack; you did a good job with it! Mind you I had to wad through the strings file, did a handful of corrections... For future reference, when changing something like "crystal" don't do a replace all... You'll break a lot of string IDs that way. >_> I see you broke a bunch of HUD icons, though that shouldn't be too hard to fix. I'll look at the new texture pack soon.

Actually, I did go through the files and corrected the Nova Crystal faux pas and some of the research icons. The corrections have been placed in the new Strings and Windows folder in the 1.25 file now up, plus a few other things. The same with some of the icons, the logistics pic excluded (must locate it!).

I thought I could sneak in the corrections before anyone noticed... I suppose not, so I apologize for my incompetence. :P

I'm glad you like them, at any rate. I'll see about the separators...They would be nice!

Edited by Ludo Kressh

Ludo, for future reference, please use Entrenchment's or Diplomacy's texture files to edit things versus vanilla Sins'. Breaks things much less that way. :v

Thanks! :D

Nothing should have been hiding those textures... It must have been the Vanilla version at fault - I'll be sure to use the Entrenchment files when I can. If you have any other hints, do PM me, as I need all the help I can get. :v

Did the Fleet Training pic show up on the Fleet Upkeep/Recruitment research page? That one is missing from mine, and I'm having the darnest time converting the .Brushes files on my glitchy Vista x64 with the ForgeTools so I can track it down further.

Would you be so kind as to hook a brother up with some .Brushes files that are not in binary format? I'd immensely appreciate it. :D