Testing: Feedback

onefish11

Assuming that value is not the one that changes by distance from capital (in other words, it could cause issues if decreasing by 5% decreases ALL planets by 5%... If MaxAlliegance for a planet say 10 jumps away is 5, then it would, in essence, make those uncolonizeable... However, if MaxAllliegance for ALL planets is 100, and that decreases it by 5, then that's OK.)

The modifierTypeFloat is titled 'AllegianceFromCultureMaxPerc'. It affects the maximum allegiance a planet can have in culture, think back to the Advent research that increases this by 10%, or the Starbase upgrade that also increases it by 10%-20%. In other words, with a -5% modifier on this, your home planet would have a max allegiance of 95%, the next planet would also be decreased by 5%, and so on. Don't you guys have a cap for planets a certain amount of jumps away? I thought 50% was about as low as you could go unless your planet is being overrun by hostile culture. But I may be mistaken. If that is the case, it would simply drop it by 5%, to 45%.

The other big thing is to have a way to undo those bad effects (for example, later on make a research entity that gives a 5% MaxAlliegance increase)

This was the intention actually :P Any bad effects would be very minor. -5% here, maybe a -10% depending on the modifier. And because there would be 24 of these 'tier' technologies spread across the three trees, it wouldn't be that difficult to have things balance out at the end. Each faction is already getting a +10% max allegiance bonus by the end of researching, so -5% would just make it slightly less of a bonus.

Just looked at your spreadsheet, and I am impressed. That's REALLY thought out. I think EJ had something like that for the ships WAAAAYYY back... but that's right impressive. Nice.

Thanks, it means a lot to hear my efforts weren't in vain :P I think that some of the values could be tweaked a bit, there is certainly a lot I don't know about how this mod differs from vanilla sins, and there's a lot I don't know about how certain elements affect gameplay (like how you mentioned the thing about higher shields making ships better in combat).

Do not forget that you can make pre-requisites across sections and trees; I highly suggest that you treat sections simply as more space for their respective trees, for now anyways. Or, we can edit the background to "enlarge" the single section. I'm fairly sure this would work, though I don't think I'd be able to edit it personally.

I know that you can make prerequisites across sections and trees, in fact my first test-runs in making new research trees featured plenty of this. I'm kind of vain though, I really like the arrows that point to the paths research take. The arrows don't extend across the little sections, even if they are adjacent to each other. Which I is why I was leaning toward merging the three separate sections into one. The upside is that there will be more arrows, helping people see what requirements are needed for some of the researches. The downside is that you have to go and change it. So... its really just a preference thing I think. But really its just about the arrows. It's by no means an important thing.

I'm very interested in seeing how this goes, and would like to put out a general warning to be careful about how difficult you make it to unlock ships and change around with allegiance. The former as, for example, you have ships such as the Lancer, which while they were only used later on in the Imperial's history, they are the only dedicated anti-fighter unit the Empire has, and thus making them harder to research would put in a notable disadvantage. As for the latter, even a single percentage makes a very large difference in this mod, more so than vanilla Sins.

At first I thought about putting the ships in the historical order they were developed in, but then the Mandator would be able to be built pretty much right away. Which isn't a very good idea. So I think it's a good idea to just stick to having the ships unlocked in the traditional order, with the most powerful super-capitals at the end, and the frigates at the start.