A note regarding balancing (and shields)

sloosecannon

Okay, so I've been digging on the Sins forum, and I found this

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/305565/page/1/

which is quite nice for background info.

My thought is this.

Regarding shield mitigation, wouldn't shields in a Star Wars aspect almost be the opposite? By that I mean that under intense fire, shields tend to evaporate, not become more effective.

I'm going to test this little theory. I'm gonna try to reverse the mitigation values to have shields start with 65% mitigation and drop under intense fire.

I'll post here with my findings.

Sins of a Galactic Empire Mod Team Staff

Shield mitigation is hard coded. Every ship has that 15% mitigation; there is no way around it. I don't know if giving negative mitigation would do anything, mind you. The only faction that has shield mitigation, in the ship entities themselves. is the Vong. Some scouts have it admittedly, why exactly I don't know.
Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

Well it's hardcoded but the values for the hardcoding are in the entities (specifically the player files...)

search shieldData

You get:

shieldData
shieldAbsorbGrowthPerDamage 0.001000
shieldAbsorbDecayRate 0.000000
shieldAbsorbBaseMin 0.150000
shieldColor ffffc705

What I think I'll do (once I copy my beta copy) is change shieldAbsorbBaseMin to 65, change shieldAbsorbDecayRate to like -0.0125 and change shieldAbsorbGrowthPerDamage to -0.001

If they're int values, they *should* accept negatives

That means that if your fleet concentrates fire on an enemy ship, instead of its shields getting stronger, they'll get weaker (due to concentrated laser fire which all my sources say causes shield failure)

EDIT: and apparently ships do have mitigation (at least in the code... maxMitigation is in the enitites)

Sins of a Galactic Empire Mod Team Staff