Pirates are waaay too overpowered

DarkWolf_V

wth happened now the pirates are unstoppable

i had 3 venators, 2 of which were cap ships, 3 victories, 2 acclamators and 12 bayonet star monitors and 10 pirate FRIGATES, destroyed my capships and the rest of

my ships within a minute taking out my entire fleet, and both cap ships were level 4 wth has happened.

tried some more, i outnumbered them by about 20 ships all mine were cruisers with 3 capital ships, they killed all of my capital ships with 25 pirates. they killed them like they as fast as frigates are destroyed

The Pirates have not changed for literally years. I know they haven't changed since I started playing SoGE, which was before January of this year. The only thing that's changed is the time between raids, which has increased (at least for the initial raid).
Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

Well, the issue with this is the fact that pirate raids are the same size as before the NU price-hike... so there are a great deal more ships in the raid than there were before the price hike relative to what you can build... that's why the time before the raid has been increased... so if I was you, I would make sure not to get hit by pirate raids, especially at the beginning of the game... because they WILL destroy your forces and leave you in quite the poor tactical situation...

@Lavo, you think I should look at reducing the size of the raids? They are pretty overwhelming...

Sins of a Galactic Empire Mod Team Staff

No way! I would not reduce those lol, send them in the ennemy's way and you'll see the pirates are in fact cheap labor that almost work for you!

Besides, if you hate the pirates so much, be the new republic and send them a viscount :P

Usually, I find that uping the bounty on another more than it is on me will generally be enough to get the pirates to get away from my system. However, they still like to destroy all on their way out... This way, you can even get the pirates to help your ally by sending the pirates on its ennemy, even though not always sufficient and hard to time.

@Lavo, you think I should look at reducing the size of the raids? They are pretty overwhelming...

Yeah, seeing your post, I'd suggest it. However the price hike should not be an issue in this case as there's more resources in NU compared to vanilla, and there's a massive gap between the first pirate raid and the start of a game.

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed the pirates are waaaaay over powered, their guns seems to do way more damage than the desc suggests

A bunch of the pirate's ships have the Slave rigging ability which makes them stronger than their regular counterparts.

Hey Lavo, if I build a fleet of Dreadnoughts, which have (do they?) the slave rigging ability, would that make them stronger? How so?

If you make 8+ Dreadnaughts they will all receive (assuming they are in range of the ability) a 40% increase in rate of fire and damage output. The Pirates have this on their Trafed II Frigates, and others.

• 4 months later...
When one plays "against the pirates", meaning they seek to eradicate them from the map with all civs except empire and new republic, does anybody have a strategy to kill them? I mean, besides from paying for them to keep 'em off your back....

When one plays "against the pirates", meaning they seek to eradicate them from the map with all civs except empire and new republic, does anybody have a strategy to kill them? I mean, besides from paying for them to keep 'em off your back....

Depends on the faction. If you are the Republic, get a big fleet, make sure it has a lot of Acclamator IIs. Kill the ships in the Pirate base by staying still, letting them come to you. Then use the Acclamators' Siege Torpedos to clear out enough of the Turbolaser turrets so your fleet can bomb the base without being shot at.

If you are the CIS, use the above strategy but instead uses Munificients with a range-upgraded Heavy TL Shot, which also puts you outside of the Turbolasers' range, or using bombers with Buzz Droids.

If you're the Vong, either use the overwhelming firepower of a few Battleships to take out the turrets, or the other supercap's Siege Torpedos.

If you are the Alliance, well you'll be able to make good use of their redundant shielding. Having an MC80 Diplomatic Cruiser with Peace Treaty can be useful in the event that things get too hot and you need to get away ASAP.

Did something change with pirates? If anything they were underpowered. Sending pirates were like giving the opponent free exp.

Yes, after this was first brought up I changed the Pirate's Slave Rigging ability a second time, which was the source of the issue.

• 2 months later...

I hate to bring this up again, but as the title says Piartes are a bit overpowered.

Basically, the route of my main gripe with them is if you start a small map (this has happened a few times recently) colonize say3/4 planets go to move on down a one way phase lane highway (new technical term) and bump into the pirate base your basically screwed for a long long time.

You either spend all your credits paying them off, or amassing enough ships to go there only to just hang on by the skin of your teeth beofre they launch a raid against you, theres one game I had going I soent an hour going back and forth with them before giving up. The main problem seems to lie with the fact IF you destroy all their fleet you are always left with umpteendefense platforms etc so would it be possible either slightly lower pirate ship shields or possibly the standard of their turrets ?

If either of these ideas seem decent let me know and I could start editing them ? If you need any help. Thanks.

The thing is, if they're nerfed down then by mid-late game they're fairly easy. Perhaps I should lengthen the time between the first raid again, back to 45 minutes, up from 30? I'm not willing to nerf them, though I will agree that early on they can be a serious issue. It doesn't help that they are hard-coded badly; they keep attacking someone even after all bounty is awarded on them, which makes absolutely no sense. For that reason I don't play with pirates.

Pirates in Ent kinda well, for the lack of a better word, suck. There isn't much you can do with them; this is one of the few things Diplomacy did well. With the port to Rebellion, this will change. As for their turrets, I believe what I will do is remove their flak ability, making them open targets for fighters, because as is you need a supercap to break through them, due to their number.

The thing is, if they're nerfed down then by mid-late game they're fairly easy. Perhaps I should lengthen the time between the first raid again, back to 45 minutes, up from 30? I'm not willing to nerf them, though I will agree that early on they can be a serious issue. It doesn't help that they are hard-coded badly; they keep attacking someone even after all bounty is awarded on them, which makes absolutely no sense. For that reason I don't play with pirates.

Pirates in Ent kinda well, for the lack of a better word, suck. There isn't much you can do with them; this is one of the few things Diplomacy did well. With the port to Rebellion, this will change. As for their turrets, I believe what I will do is remove their flak ability, making them open targets for fighters, because as is you need a supercap to break through them, due to their number.

No problem, the change to their turrets would probably be enough I undrstand what you mean, yes they need to be a challange but not game crippling.

• 7 months later...

Just got obliterated by close to 70 pirate vessels, they are small yes but at the start of the game they can easily destroy 9 ships with 4 being capital ships. How do you deal with that...?

Perhaps pirate strength builds up over time such as first raids only 10-15 pirate vessels and only as game progresses they grow in numbers?