Of Stations and Bases

Lavo

Alright so I've been working on putting in a Golan III as a space station (based off of the Tech's starbase), purely for personal use and to test/put in station upgrades for later, but I've run into a bit of a snag. In the AbilityDeployStarBaseTech file, there's a buff line (buffInstantActionType) calling for "CreateStarBase". In the main Sins files, I haven't been able to file a line called BuffCreateStarBase or anything of the sort, and I was wondering if anyone here has this buff file (source doesn't matter, as long as it works/you got permission/etc.) and could send it to me?
Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

Em... I can check... Should be in the base sins files... I can check once I'm on the computer

I couldn't find it there, and as it stands, it's the only thing that's missing from me actually testing this prototype station. Ingame I can use the ability, it fires (and then recharges), but the frigate isn't consumed and the station does not appear at all.

• 3 weeks later...
And to give you an update, I also attempted to directly port over the Tech station (techs, ships, everything) and I had the same ability issue as earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
That is really odd... I even checked the entity.manifest... No idea where that buff comes from...

After dling some other mods that have functioning star bases, it seems that the file doesn't need to be in the mod folder for the ability to work... Which just raises more questions. Ah well, maybe I'll try to put in star bases one last time tomorrow or something.

Edit: Turns out my problem was that I missed a line in the Player file, to say what station the faction has. Well then, SoGE now has star bases, even if just for testing and whatnot.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/Lavo_02/SoGE/starbasesogeworks2.png

Alright so, I've been tossing some ideas around on star bases with Chimaera, and I want some input on 'em from all of you.

1) Unlike in vanilla Sins, star bases will not be able to take out huge, capital ship led fleets, however, with upgrades they are comparable and superior to leveled up capital ships (like the current Golan III is).

2) As they are not as powerful as their vanilla counterparts, and taking into account SW canon, players will be able to build 4 (or 3, if 4 is too much) Golan stations per planet, as planets typically have multiple platforms protecting them. However, until Nova releases his next planet upgrade, the limit will be 1 as I really don't have the time or patience to edit 160+ files only to have to do them again. Non-colonizables, like wormholes, plasma storms, and dead asteroids will only allow for 1 station to be build (think of it being an outpost of sorts).

3) The Golan III tactical platform will be removed, as it's role will be taken on by Golan platforms (star bases).

4) Factions' Golan platforms will very according to the weapons and abilities/upgrades that they have. Other than giving the Alliance and CIS station the self-destruct ability (the former due to desperation and the latter due to underlings being expendable), I'm not sure what to do for other differences and the other factions.

5) The Vong will have a unique station (props to Eville for putting a model in for them already) which will lack special abilities like the other factions and be overall weaker than the other factions. However, it has one key advantage over the Golan platforms, which makes up for all it's shortcomings, that it can move within a planet's grav well, like the Vasari's station can.

Thus far I've got a basic station running. That is to say that it's functioning ingame, has the Toughness (aka. health), weapons, Trade Port, Hangar, and Resupply upgrades are done and working as intended. The Resupply's ability needs some adjusting, but that's separate from the upgrade and is easily done.

For the Reps, an idea I thought for their unique ability is a modified Resupply from the TEC station. It would have a max of 2.5 antimatter and 25 hull/second, and would effect all friendly ships/bases/modules (with weapons) in the system's gravity well (I've successfully made and tested this), and have a stacking limit of 4 (aka. with maxed out stats and 4 star bases, 10 antimatter and 100 hull/sec). For the Empire, I believe adding in Volley Fire would do the trick. The Vong will get the Colony Pods ability from the Vasari.

• 3 weeks later...

Copyright (c) 1999-2022 by SWRebellion Community - All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. Star Wars(TM) is a registered trademark of LucasFilm, Ltd. We are not affiliated with LucasFilm or Walt Disney. This is a fan site and online gaming community (non-profit). Powered by Invision Community