Rebellion Remake Release Demos!

Slocket

Small demo showing the GSA8 engine (hit "0" to enable keyboard" camera mouse view , F11 to see stats and collision boxes).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fzfilxc4ddxye7r/firecontrol.cd.7z

Fire Control... demonstrating ISD with independent forward, star, port turbo lasers and turret ion cannon firing and collision detection onto some rebel ships. Need some feedback to tell me if it works on your computer. It is open source code included. C-lite. default 1080* res. Sound effects, I did not include animations yet... :D

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, sorry, I did test-it on my laptop and it works fine. There was an ISD firing on a marauder corvette (or another ship? not sure anymore...), same rebellion sounds, better graphics, I could look around, but nothing more can be said. Looks promising! We'll see how this evolve some more. Until then, great work getting this to work so far! :D

Thanks. That is about it. It does not seem much, but there are important collision mechanics going on behind the scene to tell me if this engine is going to fly, once you have 100 ships blasting at each other. all the basics are there. :)

It is firing on all three ships, it has independent turbo firing arcs, not just a simple one hit wonder. There are stats for each ship and as they take damage, but they are not displayed yet. Shields, weapons, engines, hyper drive, etc.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

just tried the demo! Its looks great. And its good to see a Venator STD in the imperial fleet. :wink:

I have got two (maybee stupid) questions:

Will it be possible to import shipmodell directly from X-Wing Alliance OPTs?

Will fighters be sprites or 3d-modells?

Thanks, and please continue Your good work!

I tested too.

It started windowed. The image was mostly still; there were sounds of firing going on, but nothing was actually moving or happening - except the planet was rotating. When I Alt-Entered to fullscreen, it started rolling, the ships moving slowly leftwards and shots were coming from the right edge of the screen. Whenever I Alt-Entered back to windowed mode, the ships went still again even though firing sounds were still audible and the planet was rotating, very weird.

Also, the firing ship was not visible, though, and did not show up even by the time the other ships disappeared altogether, is that intended?

Hahaha, this is funny. I just used Fraps to try and capture the weird behaviour while windowed, and whenever I started recording video the ships would move, and if I stopped, they stopped. Some derivative of Murphy's law applies, I'm sure.

I am going back and using Dark Basic Pro. The Game Studio G8 is too buggy. Sadly lost 3 months working time on it to find out some bad things.

It is the first demo of the main strategy screen if you speak of clicking upon the faction button. By default, the Movie AVI for the Empire entry is played. If it is crashing you can change the Options.dat file to disable movie cutscene avi file playback. It may be crashing due to something not compatible with your computer default media player, although I used a very common AVI format. I need to make a code to check what is on each computer for movie play back or pay a lot of money to get a decent avi player codec DLL -i was using a free one from 'Bink' and 'Rad Tools'. Any rate just change options.dat. Tell me if you can do this and by disabling cut scene playback if it works for you.

. Option.dat is a simple hex file. default is ON. (window mode On. Cutscene On, Music Volume, Ownership Random On, Loyalty Random On)

0100 : 0100 : 3200 : 0100 : 0100 change this "1,1,50,1,1" to look like

0100 : 0000 : 3200 : 0100 : 0100

Use any hex editor to this. I have not coded it yet for decimal input for this file.

I have been updating all artwork to support new wide screen 9:16 ratio and higher 1080* resolution. So this previous demo is being deprecated in favor of the new age in monitor technology. DB pro still allows an option to run EXE under control window mode for res of legacy via window mode in options.dat for those wish 1024*768 -4:3 for old monitor support.

Hinter weise: I should add proper 'recovery code' in full game development so that a hard crash to desktop is not created. Just a pop up message 'cannot play movie' then continue on with normal code. So this is very beta demo.

Tell me if you can do this and by disabling cut scene playback if it works for you.

0100 : 0100 : 3200 : 0100 : 0100 change this "1,1,50,1,1" to look like

0100 : 0000 : 3200 : 0100 : 0100

That worked. Thanks for the help.

Btw, I sent you a PM about possibly helping out on the project (if you are looking for any). Get back to me when you can.

• 1 month later...

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/01e4feaa2847db6aeda71eab6dc90bc915a34e5f6b31c30e92a5a45d386aa5734g.jpg

delta demo to see if this is going to work on other computers in 1080*1920 resolution.

Before I work more on it. It will go much faster once confirmation this is working. December 13, 2011. Slocket

Reb tactical 2012 1.006

key "w" is forward in look direction camera, "s" is backward.

'

Hold right mouse button down while 'move around' for Mouse Look camera to move in.

I need to resize all models for the physics engine -so models clip if you look close. I only use 2x AA basic graphics to clean edges DX9. Just basic to see if things work.

Turbos do shield and hull damage. Ion only do shield damage, shields regenerate. etc. Obviously not all things are implemented yet. Many place holder animations, and pics.

Just seeing if this thing will fly converting over to 1080* graphics and such. There is sound in the delta demo, but no music.

Portable chunk, just unrar and click on "rebellion2008.exe"

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t4r47i7cst0xsfa/RebTact006.rar

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1848/rebtact006.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't know if it's because of my comp, but I'm getting the following error:

Runtime Error 1507 - Display using 32 bit is not supported by available hardware at line 8.

I am running 64-bit Vista so that might be it...

First, thanks for trying it out. I need feedback so I know what is going on. That refers to the line code (the source is in the download) "set display mode 1920,1080,32,1,AA,0"

32 is simply referring to setting your video card to 1080*1920 resolution with 2x Anti-Alias, and 32 bit color depth.

I thought all video cards today support 32 bit color. Can you make sure your desktop is set for 32 color and not 16 bit color? Also this is forced to run in full screen 1080* HD (maybe I should put it in a window mode) I assume most people by now have the regular HD LCD wide screen displays.

Can you also tell me about your video card and computer? Is it a laptop? it does not make any difference on cpu or OS being 32 or 64 bit machine. It is refering to 32-bit color setting of your video card. You can set your desktop screen to 32 bit color manually. That is default color for most devices made since the last five to eight years I think. Laptops I do not know.

Thanks and let me know! I will try to figure it out or give a change so it will work.

I do have the code to automatically detect your video hardware and adjust the resolution to work on several video cards even laptops, but I did not include it on this delta demo. I just set it to one high definition 1080*1920. I would put back in legacy support for 1024*768 for old video cards and picture tube monitors 16 bit and 32 bit color.

Laptops and those cheaper computers using built in chips on the mother boards tend to use lower resolution and odd combinations. Luckily I can put that support for any video card back in the demo later on. I left it out for testing purposes.

Well, if you can see what is going on, hear sounds, and can move the camera around to look at things, then that is good. You should see the ISD firing turbo lasers on the EFC ship and the shield bar and hull decrease on the display. Very basic demonstration, but if you can see all that, then I can make it do everything I will need it to do. Additionally, I can clean up the graphics and such as the low resolution sky box star back ground held over when 1024*768 was the gold standard. Right now the stars look fuzzy, and the in game X models need to be bigger and higher resolution textures to really make them look nice.

But if people can handle a little uglier graphics, I can display ~2000 ship battles, and much more real logic of the AI and complex game mechanics. I was hoping to make this game more intelligent instead of all those simple RTS game winning a beauty pageant.

Again thanks for trying it and I guess everything is 'working' more or less. I hope others are still around to try it out.

I don't support this hi-definition (or rather my graphical card does not). Higher it goes is 1664x1040. I am not buying another new graphical card for one game...

So no testing from me I'm afraid...

Sorry I did not mention it is High Definition 1080*1920 only. I can put back in the support for any resolution using a window mode box. I will do that next so any video card from 10 years ago and any laptop can run the game at least in window mode. I was just throwing this delta demo out there for a quick functional test. I see I need to put back in the code for multiple video card and hardware support.

Thanks for the feedback, I need it to improve the game. :)

I release it later today (well here in USA) with window mode support and see if it will run in a window box on your original devices. You can then resize the window box to full screen or whatever you like, just like any other Window application.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hx87t8x9h9i3fca RebTact-legacy version 1.006

Here is a legacy version that runs in only 1024*768 resolution "window mode". It should work on older video cards and screens, that was the gold standard back then.

If it is good to go, I will place in support for both the new High Definition 1080* and this Legacy 768* window mode in the next upgraded demo 1.007

Now it is up to you fans if you want this thing to fly. Please give feedback and tell your friends. :P

Again, thank you.

Second one works fine on my laptop. Two things though. How do you track the camera? I see how to pan it and zoom out but I can't seem to track from side to side. Also, is the ISD supposed to fire when it's out of range because it opens up pretty much as soon as the demo starts.

The ISD will fire random constantly. That is normal. If you watch it, it will hit the EFC ship after a minute or so as it moves closer. I am going to change that to work better (longer fire distance).

The camera for right now is very basic to see if it is going to work on other systems. there is no side to side option. There is only Mouse Look into the angle you want the camera to move, then key 'w' + 's' to move forward in the look direction and backwards. Use the right mouse button hold down for Mouse Look. I am going to place back in the Orthogonal controls space controls (x,y,z axis) after I know the simple alternate camera control Spherical (360 angle +radial axis) is working. It will have both.

Can you move the camera around? It maybe a bit odd spherical only (2-axis), but works really good in place of orthogonal controls (3 axis). The next demo I will enable both. It like a first person role playing game where you move/run toward where you are looking.

I will add in the mouse click selection on ship routine and finish the status bars for the weapons, shields, engine, tractor beam, hyper drive damage. Also add in Hull hit sounds and better hit animation pictures (need a good artist for that).

Then integrate this into the strategy demo together for some kind of basic full game (strategy screen and tactical screen). You can then move ship into enemy planet (2D strategy screen) and start a fight (3D tactical screen). basic game.

I am excited that this thing actually works! I am more motivated to haul ass on it to finish it. :P Dark Basic Pro may not be the latest greatest thing but it is very easy to make basic games very fast with no knowledge of advanced Direct X requiring a Computer Engineering Degree to understand. Basic game I mean by not graphically fancy, the true gem is complex game mechanics that are fun like good old games were like. XBOX console cookie cutter games have been dumbed down way too much to cater to the masses. I call that "consolitis".

Edited by Slocket

The ISD will fire random constantly. That is normal. If you watch it, it will hit the EFC ship after a minute or so as it moves closer. I am going to change that to work better (longer fire distance).

I'm not so much concerned about the fire distance or rate but it seems wasteful to have the ISD open fire when it can't hit the ship. I don't think realistically that would happen (unless the crew/captain is incompetent).

But yeah, the camera works fine in the 2d. I'd just like to be able to move so I could keep pace with the ship but it's alright for now.

Also, I PMed you a while ago about this but if you're looking for help, I'd be more than willing to assist. I'm pretty handy with graphics and I do know DBPro, but probably not as well as you lol.

Okay, this works very well. I can see there has been much work since the last time.

2 thing I noticed:

a- The Rebel ship is turning at 180°. A U-turn would be more realistic, or at least rotating on itself.

b- There are 2 size of Nebulon-B Frigate. On of them dwarfs Imperial Star Destroyer 8O

Yes , indeed. They are just there in game to see what they look like. The bigger Nebulon Frigate is a higher quality texture and detail from "X-Wing Alliance" game. They are doing the magic 180 degree turn because I have not added the proper U-turn code in yet. That is a good observation. I wish my car could turn around that fast! You have to love these delta demos.

I only coded in basic path following for the AI ships so far.

Yes , indeed. They are just there in game to see what they look like. The bigger Nebulon Frigate is a higher quality texture and detail from "X-Wing Alliance" game. They are doing the magic 180 degree turn because I have not added the proper U-turn code in yet. That is a good observation. I wish my car could turn around that fast! You have to love these delta demos.

I only coded in basic path following for the AI ships so far.

I wonder if there are XWA ISD models too. That would be just great.

Edit: There are two ISD's. Take a look at the engine exhaust : I think it does not display properly for one of them, what with the blue thinghy :P

That is correct. There is no blue glow exhaust gas trail implemented yet. Easy enough to add later. I did not include it for this functionality delta demo test. You can see where the sun would be in the game, there is a yellow gas halo around it to give you an idea what it looks like though. Later you will see the pretty Rebel red and Empire blue exhaust cones trailing off the models just like in the movies and other games with some added dynamic lighting.