2020: Ruins of Earth

THX1138_pff

2020: Ruins of Earth

Children of Men FanFic

By THX1138

This is a little fanfic I decided to start. All that is posted for now is a preview, but I will update this as I write each part. The Parts are listed below. Chapters will be listed in each part as I write them.

PART I: 2009

Chapter 1: That Fateful Morning… [Finished]

Chapter 2: Lunch [Coming soon]

PART II: 2012-2014

PART III: 2020-2027

2098. London City, London.

Robert Turner stood at the podium, in front of a crowd of thousands. And then the majority of the rest of the world was watching him on television. He smiled. He hadn't felt this alive in a long time. He sighed, and then he spoke into the microphone in front of him.

"My name is Robert Turner. I was born on Tuesday the 5th of October, 1993. I am now the oldest man on the planet." He said, and took a deep, heavy breath. "I have seen the worst in the human race, but I have also seen the best in it. Not many people will remember the time the human race was almost wiped out. Even fewer will remember the war against Iraq. And I am one of the few people alive who remembers the 9/11 bombings." He looked at the crowd in front of him. “"As the oldest human being on the planet, I believe that it is my duty to recount to you what I saw between 2009 and 2027."

Edited by THX1138_pff
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa302/AdnamTHX1138/Sigs/THXJunoSig.png

Sorry for double post :P

Chapter 1: That Fateful Morning…

It all started in 2009. I was only 15 then, attending Gravesend Grammar School. I was slightly overweight for my age, and there was an obesity crisis in the UK and the US at that time. But I didn’t care. I was happy with my body. I was happy with myself. I was a rather serious boy, rather sadistic too, but I always enjoyed a good laugh as well. I lived out in Kent, in a quaint little village that, sadly, no-longer exists.

I remember one morning waking up and putting Breakfast on BBC 1 on the television. I sat up in my bed and watched the news. I was half asleep and wasn’t really paying attention. I was more interested in listening to my iPod. Then I saw something that caught my eye. The headline on the small banner at the bottom of the screen read:

BREAKING NEWS: No babies born in two months

As you can imagine, this interested me. I was not stupid. I knew that this was extremely abnormal. That said, even a simpleton could work that out. Anyway, I took my headphones out of my ears and watched the news report. I left it on as I got into my school uniform: A white shirt, black trousers, black socks, clack shoes, a black and purple tie and a black blazer. My mind was whizzing as I left for school. I was trying to figure out why. Why no children had been born. I knew that top researchers were trying to figure this out at that very moment, and it seemed foolish to think that even though they couldn’t figure it out, that maybe I could. But that didn’t stop me trying.

When I finally got to school I still wasn’t paying attention. I walked into our form room and rand a hand through my short brown hair. I kept my hair short, because when it grew, it went curly. Not truly curly, as such, but not straight either. It was just ugly when it went like that. Anyhow, I didn’t notice anything going on around me. I stared out of the window, still thinking. I pushed the thought to the back of my mind, as I had lessons to get to. My first lesson was English. It was only in the room next door, but I left early anyway. I had to do something to get my mind off of that thought, so I started to draw. Drawing was one of my favourite pastimes. When the anarchy came I never really had time for it, what with having to fight to survive and all. I drew a post apocalyptic city, bereft of life, with derelict buildings and broken vehicles. I liked Sci-fi, and stuff like that. Almost everything I drew, or wrote about had an apocalypse in it, or was post apocalypse. I didn’t realise how long I had been drawing, but when I looked up, everyone else was walking into the room.

Sat next to me was my friend, Aeron Vale. He was quite tall, taller than me, and was well built. He wasn’t the brightest match in the box, so to speak, but he was alright. He looked at my drawing as he pulled his books from his bag.

“That’s cool.” He said.

“Cheers.” I chucked. “It’s not the best, but I like it.”

I should explain at this point that I was a talented artist, but I was also my harshest critic. If I thought one tiny thing was wrong with my art, I would screw it up, throw it in the bin and start again. Everyone else liked my drawings though.

Now, where was I…? Ah yes. Aeron and I were about to continue our convocation when our teacher, Miss Thorogood, walked in. She was an interesting teacher, and didn’t look much older than 25. We knew she probably was though. She had shoulder length blonde hair, and was about 5 foot six. I was roughly five nine, just for comparison. Normally she was very cheerful, but today something seemed wrong. There was a look about her. Come to think about it, there was a look about a lot of people in the room. Billy, Kyle, Jack… they all didn’t look right. Then it hit me. They must have seen the news report too. They were the few people in the class other than me who would watch the news for something other than football scores. Not that I didn’t look at the football scores. Come on Liverpool!

Back to the point, I decided to put up my hand and ask if she had seen the news report.

“Yes Robert” she asked, in her rather soft voice.

“Did you by any chance see the news report this morning about no children being born in two months?” I asked

“Actually, I did. How did you know?”

“Something didn’t seem right, and I realised that if that report is true, which I think it is, it would affect some people more than others. I’m not going to pry into your personal life by asking for a reason why, but I had to check and see if it was the news report.”

“Ah, well anyway, let’s get on with the lesson.”

And so we did get on with the lesson. But all the way through it, there were people whispering, and I could tell what they were whispering about. Even when Miss Thorogood put “Saving Private Ryan” a film that the whole form loved, on the projector, people didn’t pay attention. Nor did I. I was looking at everybody, watching their movements, picking up subtle mannerisms in their body language. Actions speak louder than words, so the saying goes.

The rest of the morning passed without incidence. I sighed. It’ll soon be lunch, I thought.

Triple post FTW. :P

Heres Chapter 2. Also, some comments would be nice.

Chapter 2: Lunch

As I walked into the form room to have lunch, I noticed something odd. It was full of people. At lunch, our form room was normally completely devoid of life, save for a few, no more than ten, regulars. Everyone turned to look at me upon my entrance. The stared longingly, looking for an answer. They must have thought I would be the one to give it too them as I was a nerd.

"What?" I said. Before they could answer, I turned around and left the room.

I had to find somewhere where I could be alone. But everywhere I went there where people. They always looked at me, as if I had an answer. I didn’t.

I finally found a secluded place, just behind the art block. I sighed, and sat down. I tried to get my head straight. I couldn’t have been there longer than five minutes, when Kyle and Billy found me.

“How’d you know I was here?” I asked.

“Just a whim, really.” Kyle said. I chuckled.

“So. What’d you need?” I said, smiling slightly.

“Well we wanted to see if you were alright. And see what you knew.” Billy said.

“Well no, I’m not fine. But Im no worse than I usually am” I said sighing. “I’ll be fine.”

“And what do you know?” Kyle asked

“About no children being born? Not much.” I noticed that their faces dropped, ever so slightly. You wouldn’t notice it if you didn’t know what you were looking for. “But, I do think that we shouldn’t let it affect us, and just get on with our lives. Everything will be back to normal in a few months.” I knew that that last statement wasn’t true.

“It won’t and you know it.” Bily said. Billy was like me in many respects. Smart, funny, rather serious. But there was one major difference. He was much more opinionated.

“I know that and you know that and he knows that.” I said, harshly. “But don’t you think that everyone deserves just a little hope in their lives?”

“Not if it’s false hope, no.” Billy replied in an equally hash tone.

“Look. We can’t let this affect us all and you know it.”

“Yes, bbut people deserve to know the truth”

“Not when it will hurt them”

“Truth hurts Robert. Deal with it.”

“I know that you half wit. My point is that I will not let people be upset by something I have said, unless I intend them to be upset as a direct result of what I say.”

“I guess you’re right” Billy conceded.

Kyle had been rather quiet the whole time.

“You alright Kyle?” I asked.

“Yeah.” He replied.

“Come on. Let’s get back. We don’t want to be too late.”

We headed back to our form room.

• 3 weeks later...
Intriguing start. Please post more!

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg