Re: Would Earth Survive An Attack By The Empire?

piojitoewok

I thought he killed him because he ruined the chances of bombing runs and air strikes from being used and gave the rebels plenty of time to evacuate the base. If the admiral hadn’t brought the fleet out so close, then Tie fighters could have kept the transports from escaping and been used to attack the rebel forces. This would have given Vader plenty of rebels to interrogate for information that could lead to other rebel bases

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/At-At_controller/leetspeak4cz1jr.gif

I thought he killed him because he ruined the chances of bombing runs and air strikes from being used and gave the rebels plenty of time to evacuate the base. If the admiral hadn't brought the fleet out so close, then Tie fighters could have kept the transports from escaping and been used to attack the rebel forces. This would have given Vader plenty of rebels to interrogate for information that could lead to other rebel bases

Vader killed Ozzel merely because coming so close alerted the Rebels to their presence. Vader wanted to have a "sneak attack". Anyway lets get back on topic. From the common consensus, it seems our humble planet would be able to repel an attack from three ISD's. But what if those three were accompanied by a SSD? Discuss....

pfffttt.... duh! of course a SSD would smash us but that's not the point. We couldn't touch their star destroyers or anything up there in space simply because we don't have the technology to fight them up there. We haven't even put ourselves on the closest planet to earth yet. We're not even close to coming up with space suited weapons either. It's a whole new book, space warefare.

We could repel the forces from 3 ISDs.

Then they'd just slag us from orbit...or bring in more forces.

EDIT: The SSD would be like overkill...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/kc1991/droid803sig.jpg

"That was fun"

exactly you're both right. An SSD would be more than a match for our forces. Now say a Imperial Stormtrooper squad and a Marine Squad are in close quarters combat, in the runis of some city. How would the battle fare? Could out boys use their rescourcefulness and tactics to take down stormtroopers?

storm troopers:

-white armor, They'll stick out like a sore thumb.

-slow firing guns

-dumb

-die from anything more serious than a paper cut

kinda obvious really  ::)

yeah but you're basing that on what the movies show you. You have to take into consideration that Lucas made the Ewoks win so it could be a freakin' "feel good" moment. Personally against trained Marines I think it would be quite an even match. Although "slug throwers" probably would not penetrate Stormtrooper armor grenades and RPG's could kill them as well as heavy machine guns ( mounted ).

yeah I know, tis called plot devices. However when it comes to star wars canon the movies come first, for better or worse....  :-\

Putting plot devices aside they're still wearing stark white armor. And their guns still fire really slow. Our bullets would still penetrate thier armor. If not with one shots then we'll fill them full of enough holes especially cause our snipers could find them real easy. And storm troopers probably don't see much due to thier helmets.

The white parts might cause bullets to ricochet off harmlessly, but the black sections (designed for flexibility) is where you'd shoot. Go for the neck.

The fact that their guns fire slow is offset by the fact that it'd burn a hole through someone every time it hits. (And if their accuracy isn't like what they are in the movies, but actually decent, it'd be pretty fatal if you're not behind cover.

And also you forget thermal detonators. Mini nuke things those are.

Solution: Shoot stormies in the neck. Avoid getting hit by blasters. Run away from thermal detonators.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/kc1991/droid803sig.jpg

"That was fun"

the E-11 blaster does have a full auto setting, but weather you could hit anything with it... but yeah go for the neck and the marines might have a chance. also they know the terrain, wheres the stormtroopers don't

Even on full auto it's rather slow compared to our guns. And they still fight with napoleonic tactics too, easy win for us.

Couple of flash bangs into the midst of them and hop in with MP-5s and take em out. If they hadn't already been killed by snipers, that is.

i dont think flashbangs would work. their helmets would most likely dull down the flash and the bang. napoleonic tactics from what you read in the books and see in the movies it would seem that only the imperial army uses that sort of tactics not the stormtrooper core. they seem to use modern day tactics.

*Ahem*

"It was almost impossible to kill a stormtrooper with a slugthrower unless the bullet was abnormally large, specifically armor piercing, or if it hit the body glove or visor."

and

"Automatic polarizing and anti-flash blinding lenses protected the trooper against intense glare and provided them with enhanced combat vision or "Holographic Vision Processors" (which allowed vision through many barriers such as smoke, darkness and fire).

Multi-Frequency Targeting and Acquisition System (MFTAS) helped with the stormtroopers' perception in darkness as well as smoke and other visibility obscuring conditions."

and don't forget

"Stormtrooper armor as portrayed in the films is highly ineffective as combat protection and is generally hindering to the wearer. Though this may largely be due to the now infamous stormtrooper effect it has given rise to much fan speculation and outright mockery.

Stormtrooper armor is very similar to the real-world compound of Kevlar, a synthetic fiber used in body armor for soldiers and police officers. Kevlar stops solid bullets, very similar to the effect stormtrooper armor has on solid projectiles."

So average guns wouldn't do it and neither would flash bangs. Lets look at the equipment of each soldier and then make an educated decision.

Stormtrooper:

Primary Weapon: BlasTech E-11 blaster rifle

Backup Weapon: SE-14R light repeating blaster

Explosive: Thermal detonator

Armor: Stormtrooper armor, able to withstand low power blast shots, stun beams, explosions and shrapnel

Helmet: Stormtrooper helmet, with comm system, breathing filters

Additional items:

A high-tension wire

Two grappling hooks

Four spare blaster power packs

Three ion flares

A concentrated ration bar

A spare comlink

Three water packs

Two medpacks.

Two Blast Energy Sinks to protect the trooper's hips

Combat de-ionizer

Binders

United States Marine:

Primary Weapon: M16 assault rifle

Backup Weapon: M9 Beretta 9 mm Pistol

Explosive: M67 Hand Grenade (Fragmentation)

Armor: Interceptor body armor

Helmet: MICH TC-2000 Combat Helmet

Additional items:

Ka-Bar combat knife

medical kit

other common warfare objects. ( didn't find deffinate list )

if e-woks can kill storm troopers then we could certainly kill them

I'm sorry but when it comes to canon

Movies > Books

eh suit your self. I won't get into a flame fight.

if e-woks can kill storm troopers then we could certainly kill them

I'm sorry but when it comes to canon

Movies > Books

I'm afraid will have to agree to disagree, but the only the first 10 min of ANH show stromtroopers for what they really are

I'm afraid will have to agree to disagree, but the only the first 10 min of ANH show stromtroopers for what they really are

yes they do. Bumbling morons who are only slightly less stupid than the rebel troopers. And are easily killed by princess leia's tiny blaster pistol.

1 was killed by princess Leia direct hit. and only because the stormtroopers were switching their blasters to stun. if they had wanted to kill her they could have done that with most likely none of the killed. and while the assault at the start is the best example of what a stormtrooper can do. it is also a poor one because all the stormtroopers can do is charge forward taking the fire of the rebels who can just fire at the doorway. thats the only thing thats possible if they want to capture the ship in one piece. and even they they have 4 or 5 were killed(cant remember exactly i could be wrong, but it was a lowish number for such an assault in to enemy fire with no cover)

Leia had an advanced defense pistol. It ripped right through the armor. Stormtroopers are far from dumb. Like I said before the "Stormtrooper syndrome" causes them to be portrayed as sitting ducks that shoot in random directions. In ( fake ) reality they are highly trained and very lethal and aggressive fighters. The rebels on the Tantavie IV wouldn't have lasted much longer than the movie showed anyway.

I agree. Obi-Wan said it best in ANH, that the blaster marks were too accurate for sand people, they had to be by stormtroopers. They are not portrayed well at all, and have really lost the fear that they should have.

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg