trouble setting up

BoShek

Hi, tonight I tried to set up a game over IP connection no less than four times with different players at Gamespy. None of us could find the game the other one set up. One voiced the opinion, that the router (whatever that is) he uses kept him from making the connection.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the cause? It has to be said that I was using our machine at home not the comp at the office I have used so far without problems.

Could a virus protector get in the way?

Help, I´m clueless. Not to mention annoyed, talk about a waste of time.

Are there any other ways of setting up a connection?

Here goes nothing! - Lando

Well, thanks for the enormous amount of helpful advice. :evil: Four days and not a single reply ...

BTW I know about the option of using MSN messenger to connect but have encountered different problems with that thing.

Some routers have a built in firewall, also do you have any software firewall.
Why are people afraid to die? It is a natural part of life. Life and Death. They go together. Some people are just willing to speed up that process.

I had the same problem once, the other guy simply couldn't find my games..

Now, he was using a hacked version of Rebellion, so maybe that was it. I know it wasn't a router, for other people can find my games just fine.

What problems are there with msnm?

Ragnar

Hmm, a router works , among other things, just like a softare firewall, allowing connection on some ports and blocking it on others.

So did you use a software firewall ?

I never had trouble with any Antivirus software getting in the way of gaming, so I think it's safe to say, that this can't be the problem.

Although I never played Rebellion online before, did you have the correct IPs from the other players and did they have yours ? I mean the following: if you open a dos box (while being online) and you type in ipconfig you usually get two different IP numbers, one is the number you gave to your Network card (if present) and the other is the one you got for this online session. That's the your counterparts need to connect, if you're hosting the game and of course vice-versa, if they are.

Maybe this helps ya :D

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Thanks for your help.

I´ll try to answer your questions one after the other:

- No, I do not use a firewall.

- With msnm I have the following trouble: on my office machine, I have installed the prog but can´t make the connection to msn. First I thought it was because I didn´t have Internet Explorer installed, so I did. Still didn´t work.

On my home comp. Msnm works, but when I tried to play against Lebarronnn_90 the "check" button in the multiplayer menu wasn´t highlighted, so it couldn´t be clicked. Also we got no end of strange messages on the chat. Incidentally we were then able to play via IP connection proving the problem with the other players had not been on my side.

- I looked up my IP on ipchicken.com and told my opponents to do likewise. This worked well on three occasions so I figure that wasn´t the problem.