Parents file lawsuit over Star Wars video

dinochick

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030723.uboyyn/BNStory/National/

"The parents of Ghyslain Raza, the Quebec teenager who became a celebrity this spring after classmates posted on the Internet a video of him mimicking a Star Wars character, allege that their son was so humiliated by the experience that he had to get psychiatric care. "...

"Many other pranksters have created their own versions of the clip, with added video effects and sounds. One has him moving at fast-forward speed to goofy music from the Benny Hill Show. Other parodies were made with unflattering titles, such as Dork Clones, or mixed in with sounds of flatulence.

In a statement of claim filed last week in their home town of Trois-Rivières, the Razas say that Ghyslain was so widely mocked at his private high school that he dropped out.

He had to finish the session at Pavillon Arc-en-ciel, a ward specializing in child psychiatry at the Trois-Rivières Regional Hospital Centre.

Ghyslain "will be under psychiatric care for an indefinite amount of time," the statement of claim says."...

"The Razas are now seeking $225,000 in damages from the parents of four teenagers" :!::!::!::?::idea::roll:

I am assuming that most of you have seen these videos:

http://cot.emich.edu/personal/movies/SWKDorkCloneWars.wmv

http://cot.emich.edu/personal/movies/StarWarsKid2.wmv

What do you think about this? :roll:

http://www.dinochick.com/dc_saber_banner_02.gif

Such is life.

Being America, he'll no doubt win the case, be half a million dollers richer, double that when he sells his story exclusively to some media tycoon, have a movie made about his life, enjoy the benefits of the spin off cartoon show; and not to mention the exclusive HASBRO line of twenty bendy action figures in various costumes..... :twisted:

I think he'll be having the last laugh on this one Dinochick, dudette! :wink:

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Guest Scathane

Oh well... I wonder what'll be next...

1. The Razas suing GL and LEC because, if Star Wars hadn't been made, their son would never have been traumatized in the first place
    2. Dinosaur fossils suing the asteroid that was responsible for their untimely demise
    3. Registered SWR members suing SWR for having lost their jobs because of excess internet bandwith use due to visiting SWR
    4. Parents suing Toys 'Я' Us because their marketing and advertising policies had such an impact on their kids that they were forced to buy more toys
    5. Jahled suing SWR because his girlfriend left him

Such is life.

Being America, he'll no doubt win the case, be half a million dollers richer, double that when he sells his story exclusively to some media tycoon, have a movie made about his life, enjoy the benefits of the spin off cartoon show; and not to mention the exclusive HASBRO line of twenty bendy action figures in various costumes..... :twisted:

I think he'll be having the last laugh on this one Dinochick, dudette! :wink:

LOL Jahled, he's a Canadian, lol, which explains alot :!::twisted::lol::lol::lol:

I like your #2 Scathane, do you think I could be thiere sdvocate for that, lol :lol::wink:

Sure you could and don't forget to sell your story to a media tycoon and then the Hasbro Action Figures...

I'd like the official Zoot Action figure with a special chip and a special Fosters Can...

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

For some reason I went through a phase of buying loads of Star Wars action figures a couple of years ago, the later ones with those rectangler chips you can stand them up on (darr...think about that in the 70s they should of...) that SPEAK! 8O

Yes apparently they say something if you also have the seperately purchased spend even more money gadgit toy. Wow! Well, the Star Wars Kid's would have a various collection of 'Wooshes,' I guess, Zoot; well that's either a feline 'All humans are fools,' or the sound of an atomic explosion.... Zoot's easerly-looserble additional piece of plastic-cum-gun, would have to be a can of Fosters as you say Trej....

An altogether extremely wierd concept. :?

BTW: Am I alone in thinking that George Lucas and his dork-side adepts made a seperate costume for Natalie Portman's character in virtually every different scene in TPM and AOTC in order to seriously exploit the movie spin off market such as HASBRO bendy action figures?

Just a thought.

:idea:

BTW: Am I alone in thinking that George Lucas and his dork-side adepts made a seperate costume for Natalie Portman's character in virtually every different scene in TPM and AOTC in order to seriously exploit the movie spin off market such as HASBRO bendy action figures?

Just a thought.

:idea:

I think just like you, Jahled. Did you know that with all the income from the Hasbro products GL was able to pay what he had spent in making ep I.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

HOLY BAKED BEANS ON TOAST FUELED INSANE GIBBONS IN A STOLEN CAR IN A JUNGLE FIENDISH MADNESS THAT WOULD SERIOUSLY DO YOUR HEAD IN IF YOU HAPPENED TO STUMBLE QUITE INNOCENTLY ACROSS IT ON A HOLIDAY IN AN AFRICAN JUNGLE, err.... type of thing...

Is that for real Trej? That is absolutely unbelievable.

I'm not entirely certain how to approach that one...tired as I am...

...I guess our gibbon friends will do... :)

Jahled Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For some reason I went through a phase of buying loads of Star Wars action figures a couple of years ago, the later ones with those rectangler chips you can stand them up on (darr...think about that in the 70s they should of...) that SPEAK!

Yes apparently they say something if you also have the seperately purchased spend even more money gadgit toy. Wow! Well, the Star Wars Kid's would have a various collection of 'Wooshes,' I guess, Zoot; well that's either a feline 'All humans are fools,' or the sound of an atomic explosion.... Zoot's easerly-looserble additional piece of plastic-cum-gun, would have to be a can of Fosters as you say Trej....

An altogether extremely wierd concept.

Just a thought.

Trejiuvanat Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jahled wrote:

Just a thought.

I think just like you, Jahled. Did you know that with all the income from the Hasbro products GL was able to pay what he had spent in making ep I.

Jahled Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:31 am Post subject:

HOLY BAKED BEANS ON TOAST FUELED INSANE GIBBONS IN A STOLEN CAR IN A JUNGLE FIENDISH MADNESS THAT WOULD SERIOUSLY DO YOUR HEAD IN IF YOU HAPPENED TO STUMBLE QUITE INNOCENTLY ACROSS IT ON A HOLIDAY IN AN AFRICAN JUNGLE, err.... type of thing...

Is that for real Trej? That is absolutely unbelievable.

I'm not entirely certain how to approach that one...tired as I am...

...I guess our gibbon friends will do...

I think that is what Evaders meant about staying on topic...

Why are people afraid to die? It is a natural part of life. Life and Death. They go together. Some people are just willing to speed up that process.

Guest Scathane

Yeah, right guys! :evil: Stay on topic! Stay on topic! :wink:

By the way, ricepr2001, did you know our forums actually come with a quote button? :wink:

Wooo!!! If I wasn't laughing so much, I might have taken offence!

What's your great contribution to this thread then ricepr2001 other than badly quoting other people?

Given this is outside interests, thing's could be deemed slightly more laid back than elsewhere in the forums. Trej's comments about GL funding a movie on the back of HASBRO sales was so incredible I picked up on it. Oh forgive me, with the added sparkle of an attempt of humor. Silly me.

I look forward to you picking up on everybody else, including the staff around here. :twisted:

I'm watching eagerly...

I know theres a quote button, i just copied and pasted it all at once, i wasnt completely serious, i just find it kind of funny that evaders tells us something and we pay no mind :) see im even way off topic.
Why are people afraid to die? It is a natural part of life. Life and Death. They go together. Some people are just willing to speed up that process.

Evaders quite rightly wants to keep clutter to a minimum in the more technical Rebellion related topics and threads.

He did also say stick to the outside interests if it's not strictly Rebellion orientated! I know what you're saying dude, but we're only human beings communicating with one another!

Trej's comments about the HASBRO thing was mind blowing, I was only responding in kind, like you do in conversation!

Doesn't it blow you away that George Lucas funded an entire movie on the back of toy sales? I think it's incredible. 8O

If you think about it there are still a lot of star wars toys selling and the movie came out 20 years ago. that shows a lot about how dedicated the star wars fan base is and how the movies relate to multiple generations.

Heres another link, lol:

http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=starwarskidstrike1059394802&area=news

I do feel bad for the kid, we all know that at some time or another we have pretended that something was a lightsaber and had a battle - I know I did cause I hit a guy upside the head with a broom, lol.......great story.....I was working at the the theater still and we got the re-released version of ANH. So during Ben and Vaders fight, the sound systen was turned up so loud you could hear everything in the hall. We were waiting to clean theaters after shows, and we heard the battle and just couldnt resist. So another guy and I both took our brooms and acted out the sceen, till someone distracted him and I hit him hard upside the head 8O:oops: , lol lol lol, it was super funny! :lol::lol::lol::lol::D

Anyway, I feel bad for the kid and hope thathe gets some compensation, but I also feel as though maybe he should have been more caeful. I know if I had taped that it would be ina deep drawer, lol. :wink:8)

Ok I may get shot down big time on this but here it comes anyway. As far as I'm concerned this Ghaslain kid or whatever his name is brought this all on himself. What idiot is going to tape something and then cry about it if the tape finds itself somewhere else. How did those that put this video on the internet get it? And why the hell did he tape it in the first place? So he could watch himself acting like a nerd and be the brunt of jokes over his dorky scene if anyone ever did see it. Get a freakin life kid. Acting out a saber duel like Dinochick did with a friend is one thing. A couple of friends or co-workers just having fun no biggie but evan at that there was no video camera rolling was there? Of course not because people are not usually that stupid. As far as psychiatric care goes puhleaaaaaase. Embarrasment in teenage years is about as common as the sky being the color blue each day. But he has to quit school, get a shrink, and cry about how embarassed he is when he was the one that caused it all. Makes me wonder if the shrink idea isn't his parents just to grab a few bucks. Grow up Ghaslain, get a life, and if you're gonna do something so dorky you will find life unbearable if someone sees it then don't tape it halfwit. Ok I said my peace. Granted it is a bit harsh and I may get shot down by the members of this forum who feel I am being a bit insensitive toward him but that is simply the way I see it. Just an opinion folks. By the way anyone agree with me or am I being just a bit harsh on the boy.
Play For Fun.....Play To Win.....But Most Of All Play With Honor

Guest Scathane

How did it get on the internet? Well, as far as I know, his 'friends' put it on Kazaa.

Yes, you're a bit harsh, I think: he didn't put it on the wenb or KAzaa himself, so he got played a nasty prank on him. Being bullied in school is one thing (although sociology and psychiatry have that the damage done in that field goes deeper than we think at first as well) but having something out there for the entire world to see is something different altogether...

We probably all had something we were embarassed about when our friends at high school found out. In those days there were probably some one or two people involved in the discovery of the embarassing thing and maybe some 100 in total with regard to knowing about it later on. Think back of the shame you felt then... Now multiply that by a factor one million because in this case, the entire world knows...

It's easy to say that he shouldn't be a sissy about it, because here we are telling him what to feel and we don't even know him. I, for one, hope he gets a cameo in Episode III.

Well I will admit that being I am 35 now and highschool for me was oh GOD!!!! 20 years ago. God how I hate saying that but back then we did not have a world wide web if you did something stupid it got thru your school but no further. As far as episode III goes. If this kid is this embarrassed over it do you really think he'd want himself on the silver screen? as far as the lawsuit goes heres a question. do you think the parents would win. Now this lawsuit is in Canada so I don't know how it goes there but here in America we have some strange things happening in our courts. Take the burgla who was on top of a roof to try to break in to a building but he fell thru a skylight and broke his leg. He sued the owner of the building claiming the skylight should have been more secure and not so easily accessed to where someone could fall thru. I remind you the man was up there top break in. He won his case. Or the taxi driver who chased an armed robber and pinned him to a wall with his taxi until the police arrived. the robber claimed too much force was used against him by the taxi driver and he too won. and of course the mcdonalds case where the woman sued because the coffee was too hot and won. So anyone from Canada please tell me do the parents have a good chance with the Canadian legal system. I think here in the US they would have won before they got to court
Play For Fun.....Play To Win.....But Most Of All Play With Honor

People in the US sue for everything, not too long ago we had a filing against fast food places because it made the people fat. I dont remember the exact details (it was a few months ago) but it never did get to court.

Let's look at this very simply...

I'm 32 and frequently find myself pretending i'm a TIE fighter as I weave in and out of London's chaotic traffic... red buses and rigs are Mon Calamari Cruisers, Black Taxis are Nebulons and Corvettes, civi-street (non-despatch riders on two wheels) are my targets...BLAM BLAM! :?

If you ask yourself honestly, when alone with a long object (like my Katana when nobody else is at home), we've all had moments like our Canadian friend where we've waved it around making whooshing sounds... :roll:

It's as innocent as playing air-guitar to Led Zepplin when we reckon no one else is about...

The whole legal bit is a bit iffy, and I hope it doesn't land on the parents of the kids who posted the footage... i'll just be happy to see our slightly over-weight friend reep in the benefit of his unexpected fifteen minutes of fame on the net, and any financial perks. If he lands a cameo in Episode III, good luck to the guy! Lets hope he isn't the first Jedi to be exterminated by Vader.... :twisted: