A problem by a new poster... Help?

JediMoistureFarmer

Question

I have been playing Rebellion for years, 8) but it always comes down to the same problem. I Installed rebellion the other day because I really was lacking interest in the other games I have. [Homeworld, Starcraft, Empire Earth, Etc] What a game. For a while I wondered why I even uninstalled it. After playing for a while, I remembered this site, and thus, RebEd. :) Now, I got RebEd and fiddled around with my characters and such, then I played for a few hours. Today, I try to play and it crashes. I remember why I ever uninstalled it, is because I never got more than a day after using RebEd that the game... well... shat out on me. :( Is there anything I can do other than reinstall every time I want to play? :x

Edit: IT crashes during or right after the shuttle movie thing plays when you start a new game, with an Illegal Operation (I hate those @#$@ing things.)

What do you want from me...A Signature?

9 answers to this question

Guest Scathane
I have been playing Rebellion for years, 8) but it always comes down to the same problem. I Installed rebellion the other day because I really was lacking interest in the other games I have. [Homeworld, Starcraft, Empire Earth, Etc] What a game. For a while I wondered why I even uninstalled it. After playing for a while, I remembered this site, and thus, RebEd. :) Now, I got RebEd and fiddled around with my characters and such, then I played for a few hours. Today, I try to play and it crashes. I remember why I ever uninstalled it, is because I never got more than a day after using RebEd that the game... well... shat out on me. :( Is there anything I can do other than reinstall every time I want to play? :x

Edit: IT crashes during or right after the shuttle movie thing plays when you start a new game, with an Illegal Operation (I hate those @#$@ing things.)

I'm not sure whether it'll help but you could start out by dowloading the 1.01 patch in our downloads section. Furthermore, it might be a good idea to post your pc's techspecs...

I'll give you an example of a problem I encountered through tweeking with RebEd. I enabled the Empire to be able to build ISD II from the onset. Game crashes!

My advice to you is to leave the original 'what you can build seetings from the start alone, untill day two; save your game and then edit your settings. This way Rebellion wont get confused and crash.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Guest Admiral_Antilles
I edit things and it works fine. It might be your PC. As scath said post you're specs.

if you edit an units/ship construction/maintaince to 0 the game will crash, i dont know if you have done that but it sounds like it as from memory i think i made the death star 0/0 when i first got rebed and the game always used to crash, it wasnt untill i made it 1/1 it would work again.

this sounds like the problem to me as the game always crashed at that point for me if i had 0/0 construction cost on an unit.

i hope that helps, if not save your rebed settings and email the .reb file to me and ill try them on my pc.

darth ramoth

Darth_Ramoth

Strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey to the dark side will be complete

Well, For one, My PC can handle Rebellion Well..

Its about 3 years old.

AMD 650Mhz

Windows 98 Second Edition

128 RAM [Max Mobo Capacity of 192MB]

3dfx Voodoo3 [Hey, Old, I know, but still newer than the game.]

And plenty of Disk Space for a full install.

Not a jewel, but it works for what I need it to.

This is the second PC I have been running the game on since I got it. (And I am upgrading to a more expandable PC as I collect my Paychecks... And after getting that Shiny New Camaro... well... rusty..... old..... with no tranny... or passenger side.... *cough* Anyway)

When I said the next day, I generally meant the next time I ran the program. (which, usually, happened to be The next day.)

I have set some of the maintainance(that spelling looks wrong..) costs to 0 in the past, however I set them back to normal and it still crashed. I reinstalled and have not been using rebed and it worked.

I have found out many problems with many of my games myself, but this one has been nagging at me for years. heh

If I must reinstall again, So be it. The saved games can still be there, and the game is worth it when I get that fix.

What do you want from me...A Signature?

Guest Scathane
I presume you computer has a newer version of directX thatn the one that comes with the CD. When you install, do you install directX from the CD or not? If you do, get the latest directX version for W98 and try installing it without the directX set-up...

I had a Voodoo 3000 and the drivers are very stable.

Rebellion itself is also quite stable, but only in the limits allowed editing, of course. So what was it exactly, that you edited with RebEd ? Your usual routine after installing the game.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif