Greatest Military Mind of All Time

SOCL

Who is the greatest military mind of all time?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest military mind of all time?

• Alexander the Great
    • Hannibal Barca
    • Scipio Africanus
    • Julius Caesar
    • Napoleon Bonaparte
    • Erwin Rommel
    • Robert E. Lee
    • George S. Patton
    • Genghis Kahn
    • Other (specify in post)

Ooooh, do i get to ride in an ATAT and find a new strategy for deealing with air speeders?

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• 2 years later...
SOCL, I realize this thread died long before I joined, but if you still have Hannibal's Folly I would appreciate getting a copy of it. sjholloway85@hotmail.com. If you don't have a copy anymore, don't sweat it, it's not a big deal. I just thought it could make for some interesting reading.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

...Skimmed through some of this, and if we're okay with reviving the thread, I'll say that I voted for Alexander the Great. He faced some huge armies in his time and while superior numbers might have had some play in some battles, superior tactics did much more. For instance, when facing a Turkish army I believe it was, one of his enemy's greatest technologies was a chariot with sword blades attached to the axle of the wheel, thus enabling them to go through and hack people to bits and still live some of them alive with no legs :? Alexander countered this by using five man groups to create little stalls for the horses which they, the horses, would come to a halt within. The men were then free to slaughter the horses and/or the charioteer and use the tech against their attackers.

12/14/07

Guest Scathane
Alexander countered this by using five man groups to create little stalls for the horses which they, the horses, would come to a halt within.
I'm not quite clear on this... :?

Well I voted for other...

Field Marshall Heinz Guderian.

The man that made Blitzkrieg into an artform and was commander of the Western Front after Rommel committed suicide.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

To clear it up for you, Scath, I will attempt to ressurect my knowledge of a history channel special on Alexander the Great. It had to do with the horse's instincts- if they were running towards a bunch of people arrayed helter-skelter, they would send bodies flying all over the place. If they were running towards a small boxed-in area they would come to a halt within because they had a feeling it was safe... or something to that effect. It dissilusioned the horses and made them halt without slaughtering Alexander and Co. Of course Alexander probably studied the culture's art in order to know exactly how their horses would behave and stop them like that :roll: ... Honestly, Zahn could have been a bit more realistic, there as to how one figures out what from someone's art...

12/14/07

Guest Scathane
To clear it up for you, Scath, I will attempt to ressurect my knowledge of a history channel special on Alexander the Great. It had to do with the horse's instincts- if they were running towards a bunch of people arrayed helter-skelter, they would send bodies flying all over the place. If they were running towards a small boxed-in area they would come to a halt within because they had a feeling it was safe... or something to that effect.
I see, so they formed this enclosed space with sldiers, then?

Of course Alexander probably studied the culture's art in order to know exactly how their horses would behave and stop them like that :roll: ...
My guess is he probably didn't have to. A soldier and a prince, Alexander most likely had more than enough knowledge about horses. And I don't think there's a difference between, say, Greek or Persian horses when it comess to this kind of thing.

Honestly, Zahn could have been a bit more realistic, there as to how one figures out what from someone's art...
Again, I'm baffled as to the meaning of what it is you're saying... :? Hmmm..., maybe I should have my circuits checked... :roll:

I was making fun of Thrawn and Timothy Zahn's books. Thrawn claimed to have studied a race's arts and knew how they would react in a military situation. i was pretending Alexander was like Thrawn and complaining that I thought Zahn could really have stood to have included more detail in his work.

12/14/07

But if he includes more detail then Thrawn can pass the technique on to a pupil. As it is, the ability dies w/ Thrawn and NO one will every gain the insights into a species psyche that Thrawn routinely does.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

But if he includes more detail then Thrawn can pass the technique on to a pupil. As it is, the ability dies w/ Thrawn and NO one will every gain the insights into a species psyche that Thrawn routinely does.

Umm, I think you miss my point, Mitth. It isn't that Thrawn is too vague, its that Zahn is. Just saying "They painted a picture of a sunny day" isn't enough to know that their military minds will react this way to this tactic.

12/14/07