Farewell then, Herbie Mann.

Jahled

Sadly, one of the great jazz greats, Herbie Mann has died aged 73. He was born Herbert Soloman in New York in 1930 and started his career aged fifteen. He was a seriously cool flautist who used a rich variety of styles from around the world to greatly influence entire genres of music, in particular, the jazz-fusion scene. Personally, two recordings spring to mind by him which will stand as monuments in music. The first is 'Herbie Mann at the Village Gate,' recorded live at the Village Gate in New York City. If ever you needed a recording to chill with a summer day, or spend an evening with your girl, that was it. Mellow and beautiful to the extreme. The other recording for me is 'Herbie Mann returns to the Village Gate,' which is also a live recording. This perhaps sums up the influence he had on the fusion and world scene before he actually got under way influencing it. (recorded 1963) Two tracks on side one, the second of which: 'New York is a jungle festival,' is perhaps the most mind-blowing piece of percusion-driven fury your ears are ever likely to spend twentiy minutes listening to. Chief Bey and Ray Mantilla blast away as if trying to obliterate each other, all the time Herbie's flute riding over them like some kite flying above some Biblical conflict. Awesome.

Side two sums the genius of the man all up, being African-Arabic inspired music. And the LP was recorded in 1963! Beautiful, haunting, and inspiring. I would urge all of you guys to spend ten or so bucks and buying certainly the latter, it's just been re-issued on CD (when I was a DJ I had two copies on LP it was so precious to me!)

The wierdest thing is SOCL sent me an email yesterday saying he had just recieved the five tapes I did for him, one of which was Herbie Mann Returns to the Village Gate. So ask him if you need a second opinion!

So farewell then, Herbert Soloman, aka; Herbie Mann, you touched us and shall not be forgotten!

RIP

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

I could be wrong with the entire album, but you've certainly got 'New York is a Jungle Festival,' somewhere on the tapes.... I clearly remember recording it and the 'sock incident' with Zoot.

To cut a long story short, Alex got home and asked me why a pair of my Quicksilver socks (which she regonized) were ontop of our neigbour's car.

As per normal, a cetrtain cat, who I had been chasing while that track was recording had jumped out the way of one of badly aimed 'sock attacks,' which flew out of the window...

To cut a long story short, Alex got home and asked me why a pair of my Quicksilver socks (which she regonized) were ontop of our neigbour's car.

As per normal, a cetrtain cat, who I had been chasing while that track was recording had jumped out the way of one of badly aimed 'sock attacks,' which flew out of the window...

I don't mean to disturb the sad atmosphere, but does this happen often, Jahled?

The 'sock-incident,' is just one of a reasonably frequent string of oddities that seems to wander into my life. A couple of weeks ago I was out and about on my bike in central London delivering things, and a bloke drove by on a sofa! I kid you not, he had made a motorised-sofa. In my startled state I narrowly avoided going up the arse of a route-master bus, much to the amusement of the taxi driver behind me.

Anyway, I also find worms on my doorstep from time to time when I leave the house in the morning, even a mouse once (it seemed to small to be rat), but I think that's my cat being affectionate.

Anyway, Trej my man, you should check Herbie out, he was one of the pioneers of bringing a latin vibe to jazz, which might interest you.

The 'sock-incident,' is just one of a reasonably frequent string of oddities that seems to wander into my life. A couple of weeks ago I was out and about on my bike in central London delivering things, and a bloke drove by on a sofa! I kid you not, he had made a motorised-sofa. In my startled state I narrowly avoided going up the arse of a route-master bus, much to the amusement of the taxi driver behind me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Now it's definite: first chance I get, I am coming to visit you, my friend! :lol:

Anyway, I also find worms on my doorstep from time to time when I leave the house in the morning, even a mouse once (it seemed to small to be rat), but I think that's my cat being affectionate.
So I take it Zoot is an outdoor cat? :? I assumed he was indoor...or does it vary?

Anyway, Trej my man, you should check Herbie out, he was one of the pioneers of bringing a latin vibe to jazz, which might interest you.
INDEED!

So I take it Zoot is an outdoor cat? :? I assumed he was indoor...or does it vary?

You seem to forget that the little kitty chased us all over the globe...

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif