willing to help with ship models

pviddy

while it was sometime ago, i created a great many models for good 'ol ST:armada as part of a personal star wars mod i was making. it annoyed me how NO ONE included the New Republic's "New Class Program" warships, such as the Defender, nebula, and republic class star destroyers, sacheen, agave, majestic heavy cruiser, so on and so forth. since no one before had made these ships, i had to make them up myself :roll: lol. it wasnt easy, and many probably wouldnt like them since everyone has their own ideas about what these ships would look like, but i tried to observe trends noticed in many rebel ships (gun blisters on heavy ships, things like that) and apply them to this project. i took a regular star destroyer design, tried to scale it to the sizes that they were supposed to be in comparision to the Imperial class star destroyer, and it all came out alright...of course i couldnt texture for crap, so it sort of fell apart there :) haha... but i'm willing to lend my modelling skill, but more so my creative skill in helping this project. i'm also of course willing to do anything else to help, but just an idea with these more advanced ships that can be brought in a little later on...and with canon attributes, of course
Dude, the Shnozzleberries taste like....shnozzleberries...

First of all, welcome and let me say how much we appreciate your offer. :D:D:D

For the models and help with textures you should contact the_mask, he's the one that has been busying himself with the models aspect of our Total Conversion, (and those Republic SDs will definetely come in handy).

A couple of images would also be nice in order to make some cards for those ships... :D

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

why thank you for the warm welcome 8) right now i am thinking of redrawing some of the basic designs, simply because it has been quite awhile since i have made these ships, it may take a little time to get my creative juices flowing again. for the most part, i looked at the new republic's previous ships, and tried to incorporate design feature that were shown in previous ships, which is logical, ("if it's not broken dont fix it" applies here) since existing designs can be seen to pass from one design to another (ex. VSD->ISD->SSD, z-95->x-wing->E-Wing, etc.) I tried to research the history of the new class ships, learning that the republic SD was the first designed, by Walex Blissex, based off the VSD but greatly improved. I scaled this to the 1040m it was supposed to be, ripped off the stupid wingy things that aided the VSD for atmospheric flight, added some turbolaser 'blisters' that can be seen on Nebulon-B's and Dreadnaughts, took away some of the existing superstructure (the Republic SD was supposed to have a much smaller crew req. and i figured that dumbing down some of the excess structures could show this) and bam, i just used that. of course more could be done, but that was a good start i thought. in the nebula and defender models, i used a basic ISD, but i used a completely NEW bridge, one that looks somewhat like that present in the nebulon B, but much larger :D. i also removed the normal hangar bay location which is underneath the SD usually, and placed hangar bays at the sides in one model, and also at the top in another. add turbolaser blisters, once again dumb down the extensive superstructure, and we've got a couple more SDs. The majestic was TOTALLY original, which was hard lol, it had something like the dreadnaughts aft engine section, a thick connecting spar to the forward section. the forward section looked rather like the front of a strike cruiser, and also had a few engines on it. after it was done, the model reminded me somewhat half mon cal cruiser, and half dreadnaught, with a pinch of nebulon b frigate. well in any case, i'll work my arse off and conjure up some image in the near future, starting from the drawing boards. literally. well i've just typed waaaaay too much, my apologies 8O

i forgot to add, i ended up making models for about half of the so called new class ships. for the SD's, it would probably be best if someone could send me the existing VSD and ISD model from the game or from the TC, that way i can get a feel for polycounts and what not. i can just go from there with ship designs. it's not something that only i can do of course, but i'm sure all the REAL modelers here actually have some tough work to do :D and any help i can provide i will.

now that i think about it, these ships really won't have counterpart Imperial ships...i mean these were developed as the Imperial Remnant was basically inactive, featured in the Black Fleet Crisis, and then peace was made with the Remnant. i guess i'll hafta go look for any imperial designs that were developed later on, maybe anyone who has read through the NJO series would know about that? well, till later.

Guest Scathane
The Supreme Overveggie, however, didn't take the time or trouble to link to Mask's profile (you'll find links for email & private messages there), so that you don't have to search: the_mask

I just love when I'm called Supreme Overveggie... :lol:

The Imps did not have a strong fleet at the Black Fleet time.. But they had new designs during palpy's return. The Allegiance, the Eclipse, etc. Now that our Artoo-Vizier has put up mask's profile link, you can mail him, to ask him what about textures and models...

Rebel Cap ships: (In order of availability in game)

MC40a

Gunship

Nebulon frigate

MC80a

Bothan Assault Cruiser?

Assault Frigate

Majestic Class Heavy Cruiser

MC80b

Republic Star Destroyer

Nebula Star Destroyer

Endurance class Fleet Carrier

MC 90

Defender class Star Destroyer

replace transports with combat vessels? these are replacements for all the warships, most i didnt replace, they were just reordered.

I see a question mark next to the BAC. I imagine that you have not made one, but that you are considering to...

Could you make a BAC model, out of a drawing of it?

i'm pretty sure i could...i usually draw the models up myself, and then see what i can do with 3ds max. that's how i made all of the models before. i think the most complete model i did before was the republic SD, which had a basic star destroyer texture on it. it wouldnt be too hard, as long as i can get someone to send me the models they are using for the other ships (star destroyer, etc.) so that i can use these to know what sort of poly count i can work with. also, it'll help me out already having a model to work with, cuz that makes my work easier. i just have to manipulate the model, add some features, and it's done. obviously it would be harder with ships like the bothan assault cruiser, i would just try and find a similar ship design, note the differences, and then model the ship. it usually comes out ok after...several tries :P

i found a website that has pics from the RPG book 'starships of the galaxy' which has a few drawings that give me a base to work with. i can take these, redraw them from more angles, and hopefully that way i can design a model also.

Bothan Assault Cruiser

http://www.wizards.com/starwars/images/sotg_gallery/40151_GS.jpg

Defender Class Star Destroyer

http://www.wizards.com/starwars/images/sotg_gallery/40153_GS.jpg

well it appears those were the only really useful pics i could find, but here's the link for anyone interested :)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20020110gallery

and the second page of the gallery:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20020124gallery

Enjoy! 8)

THAT is supposed to be a Bothan Assault Cruiser?

*BWuaHAhaHAhuaummmmmpff*

My waste bin looks prettier and more like the Bothan Assault Cruiser described in the books than that thing. ;)

I think the Defender Class was a cruiser and only 700 m in length. The pic seems familiar, though. Gank though it could be a Nebula Class.

It's all hopeless but otherwise not very dramatic. - Helme Haffax

Englishman: "What do you think of Modern Civilization?"

Mahatma Gandhi: "That would be a good idea."

Actually there are many Defender classes:

1) Defender class Assault Carrier-700m in length, probably what you're talking about

2) Defender class Star Destroyer- 1040m long, 65% the length of an ISD, but enough strength to pummel an ISDII...the pic makes the ship look kinda big tho...

3) New Republic Defender Starfighter- a system-based fighter, exceptional manuverabilty, but no hyperdrive. it's really small, looks really ugly too judging by the pic i saw.

and you're right...that bothan assault cruiser looks like junk...it looks like someone chopped down an ugly skyscraper or something. but it is a picture at least. :P

another thing, i have yet to see a pic of the Nebula class...which is very annoying indeed! it is supposed to be a 'mobile assault platform,' filling the role of the original ISD, with ample space for troops and landing craft, etc. one could assume it was good for invasions, bombardments, etc. i would imagine it to keep the basic star destroyer design, but less sleek than the defender...it probably massed more, since it's at the same length. the Defender could be a good super ship...even tho it is just slightly more powerful than the MC90, but it's a lot cheaper than an SSD. Just a thought. I havent found a pic of the Endurance class fleet carrier, but this would be a good replacement to the Liberator, since it fills the same role. I have a good idea of what it looks like tho....or at least what i want it to look like :D:D:D:D:D:D

ah, here it is. the differences between the republics star destroyers. THe republic star destroyer costs half as much as the ISD,its 1250m long, but is something like 20% stronger. and it carries a wing of fighters. the nebula class has pretty much identical strength to the ISD, 60 turbolasers and what not, also numerous torpedo launchers. along with loads and loads of troops. no word on fighter complement...i would assume not a great number since it's only 1040m long, and has a lot of troops. the defender class star destroyer is the strongest of the three...actually of all NR ships supposedly (till the star defender). it's 1040m long like the nebula, carries 6 squads of fighters, and is stronger than an ISDII. So it's basically all fighter space, shields, and guns. it's armament is the same as the republic star destroyer, except it has 8 concussion missile launchers. which brings me to a question, can capital ships fire warheads in the game?

No, they can't (correct me if I'm wrong, anybody?)

But fighters can :) there is a stat for turbolasers for fighters, that can be used for bombs... hmmmz again, correct me if I'm wrong...

Z'anthr saves the world. Sorry about the mess...

well that's stinky... i guess that could just be converted to a turbolaser value. but that is helpful that the fighters can have a turbolaser stat... :lol:

By the way, I want to wish you a warm welcome on the forums, and if you are in the Reloaded TC, as many of us are, I think we have found ourselves a useful asset. Almost nothing is as important as new 3D models, however, without our part DLL, and cards, sounds, movies, it won't be a Total Conversion.
Z'anthr saves the world. Sorry about the mess...

thank you. i am actually planning on starting modelling later today, i just have to decide on whether or not to install my 3ds max on this computer or on another one. and i understand, all the other areas of the tc are very important also. if there are any ways that i can help with gathering statistics or balancing any of the ships and whatnot, i'd be glad to help there. i sort of have a knack for finding statistics for ships, so if u need any of that done i can help in that regard.

Your information on the Republic is not entirely correct, I fear.

TheForce.net is wrong about the length; it's 1040 and not 1250 m (source: official FAQ). Two Republics cost as much as an ISD (II?), and have one third again its firepower (4/3, so one has 2/3 of an ISD-I's firepower).

Yes, it's nitpicking, but I like to be accurate. :)

It's all hopeless but otherwise not very dramatic. - Helme Haffax

Englishman: "What do you think of Modern Civilization?"

Mahatma Gandhi: "That would be a good idea."