Re: Advanced tactics

Lord Pickle

So.

I was reading the tread on what to do against some Mon Cals with loads of fighters when a post caught my eye. According to Joebwan, who appears to be a dev judging my the petroglyph avatar, the mon cals have a wider firing arc than the ISD's. So to beat an Mon Cal its about keeping the ISD guns pointed straight at the traget.

I had no idea about this and I have read the manual and looked at that game guide they got for EaW on gamesfaqs. Now I'm a cheap bastard so I don't particularly feel like paying another $15 to get the strat guide from Prima so I have opened up this thread so that the devs at petro or any other person in the know can divulge more of these secrets. So what other subtle points are there to space and ground combat that can be used to make us better commanders? And is there an effective way to counter those annoying rebel artillery units the computer is so fond of?

The Tie Maulers are an effective counter to the rebel artillery.  They can move very fast and if the artillery is too well defended, then use the self destruct.  Credit for credit, you can waste a lot of Maulers on taking out rebel artillery before you spend more than the rebels did.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

The Tie Maulers are an effective counter to the rebel artillery.  They can move very fast and if the artillery is too well defended, then use the self destruct.  Credit for credit, you can waste a lot of Maulers on taking out rebel artillery before you spend more than the rebels did.

ummm yes and no  maulers=best for infantry one mauler can take out numerous squads of infantry soldiers (excluding plex) how you say? run them over

moving on... best way to kill mon cals... in both single player and multi.. i would say hype a frigate/capital/cruiser in its aft wash and take its shields down from there the pound its hard points with ties and bombers... OR just mass bombers on it... NOTE: im excluding all Anti fighter problems in this.  same goes for taking down ISD's

put ANYTHING in its aft wash and the isd will have to manuever to be able to touch it and if it does that... manuever with it

Maulers can even trash plexies, if you run them over and don't bother shooting at them.  You might lose a Mauler or 2 each time, but you can take out at least 3 plexies.

As for Arties.  My strategies are:

1) Mauler rush (need 2-3 Mauler groups and will lose many)

2) Scout rush when have a bombing run

3) ATAT Stampede.  If you have 4-5 ATATs (with 1 Mauler to keep away plexies), you can bull rush through most Arty groups... especially with Veers.  Drop 1 stormie group to build a repair pad for after the stampede.

But Arties will hurt you more than any other Rebel unit.  And the ATST is bad against them because the Arty can outrun it once it packs up (although having Mauler support helps counter this).

If you are the rebels, support your Arty with some T4s and only a stampede or bomb run can take you out.  Which makes you pretty tough on offense.

:D:P Droids Rule! Fleshies Drool! :P:D

When I fight Mon Cals, I tend to go for the ion cannons first,  because they can take down shields fast.  When facing Home One use bombers or Captain Piett's proton beam to knock out the shields generator.

As rebel use gunships in support of any unit.  They take out hardpoints with it's missiles.  So if a AFF or mon cal is taking all the hits, use these to take out specific hardpoints out.

Can use them in groups with y-wings to take out engines or shields, good for hit and run.  Use the full speed to get out of there to save units.

An undefended space station only needs four or five bombers to take out the shield generators.

Use Tie Scout to out flank or surprise attack your enemy from behind.  Works great with Tie bombers, or your hidden fleet that hasn't been deployed.

Go for the Communcation's array second, so all your units are not on the enemies radar.

Use interdictor to close the enemy off from reinforcements from a certain area.

Use missile boats to finish off the enemy space station, they do great damage against it.

When attacking ISDs, good to go for hangers first, because they have 10 Tie groups, and 5 bomber Tie groups.

I post more later

I must not fear

Fear is the mind-killer

Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration

I will face my fear

I will permit it to pass over me and through me

And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing

Only I will remain

-- The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

from the novel Dune by Frank Herbert

http://www.petroglyphgames.com/images/hierarchy_banner1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

In skirmish shove an interdictor in a far defended corner and punch the missle jam...

Use infiltrators as kamikazes to destroy a power generator(2 TD kill a building)

Use red squad ASAP in skirmish to lucky shot the sheild generator and then run(it wont come back when the station upgrades)

wrong, kill the turbo lasers.... the ion cannon shoits cant hurt the hull/hardpoints on  a ship

Very good the talented! They want to take down your ion cannons, but first you take out their turbos so your hardpoints are still fine.

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Very good the talented! They want to take down your ion cannons, but first you take out their turbos so your hardpoints are still fine.

I say take both of them out at the same time (at least almost) as the ions cannons could disable the shields, thus giving the turbos a chance to diable/destroy the ship.