Please discuss your best Corellian Corvette killing strategy here.

Teradyn_pff

I have had it up to ^ here with the Corellian Corvettes waltzing around in the middle of my 20 pop cap group of Acclamators, VSDs and ISDs.  Can anyone explain why the Imperial weapons are so ineffective against these ships?  For one thing, the Empire seems to have an aiming problem with these ships and the Gunships, but the same is not true for the Rebel frigates and cruisers vs the Tartans.  I was told that the situation was probably going to be balanced between the demo and release versions but it is obviously still there.

Given all of the issues with this, I figured that the Empire players should discuss how best to deal with this horrible imbalance until a fix is made or in case of no fix.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

I just try to ignore them. All capital ships concentrate on the enemys cap ships and my tartans go for the bombers/fighters.

Yeah, Correlian Corvettes slaughter fighters/bombers, but I just try to get off one volley of torps at the enemy before the corvettes kill them. Its the only way to kill a Nebulon in a Acc vrs. Neb fight. The Ties are just there as distractions, maybe kill some enemy fighters/bombers.

"For every TIE fighter you shoot down, a thousand more rise to take its place"

-Baron Fel

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/0/baronfel66.png

I agree, if any Tartan gets in range of a Neb-B it is toast.  However if a Corvette or Gunship gets in range of an Acclamator or Vic they are fine.  It takes a tremendous amount of resources to target these ships in order to pound them into submission. I thought Acc and Vic's were strong against them but they are way to inaccurate, whereas it seems the Neb-B rarely misses.  All I do now is focus on the big ships and try to use my Tartans to chase after the Corvettes and Gunships with a masses Tie fighter screen to act as an extra shield.

The biggest issue with this is the fact that you can not prevent your fighters/bombers from spawning while there is a CC on top of your ship.  You can have the entire complement of an ISD wiped out before you can take care of the CC.  It is even worse with Acc and VSDs.

First, and I have no way to compare, I just figure safer than sorry in this case, but I always have a fleet commander.  If the corvettes are numerous, I find a lot of the time I'm clicking ctrl+a to select everyone to pound 'em down in a concentrated way as possible.

Admittedly it makes things difficult when there are Nebs and Assault frigates present.  In any case I find I shift everyone to hit one target at a time depending on how much I'm getting slammed.

Select a few SDs and have them all target the corvette, and your woes disappear in a maximum of ten seconds...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/NightshadowDragon/RyuuKageSIG.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/NightshadowDragon/AoSW-JCW_Banner.jpg

hmmm, what mod are you playing?  It takes quite a bit longer than that to take out 1 cc.  And the idea that 4 or 5 ISDs (16-20 pop cap worth) can all be concentrating their firepower on a single CC (2 pop cap worth) and not take it down incredibly quickly, is mind-numbingly infuriating.  This absolutely horrible imbalance, not to mention the fact that Luke can take on Piett, Han can win against Boba fett (actually a cc can win against him) and two cc can take out Vader, is why if I want to win against a reasonably competent player I have to choose Rebels, especially in the Campagin mode which I prefer to play over skirmish.

If this wasn't bad enough, I got a rude awakening to the balance issue on the ground between T4-B tanks and (basically anything that the Empire has).  The T4-B lists the AT-AT as its weakness and its strength.  And since that probably refers to the different weapon modes that is nothing as they can switch back and forth easily.  The fire rate on the AT-AT is too slow compaired to the damage it does (against anything really).  The movement speed and rotation speed are enough to be its balancing force, but the weapon output is pitiful when added to this. 

As it is, the Rebels are way overpowered in so many areas that it isn't even funny.  The reason I say that they are overpowered is because I have played both and see the same imbalance when I am playing as either.  I get the benefits as Rebels and the crap as Empire.

Basically if you play as the Rebels and you lose to an Imperial player, you suck.  Simple as that.  I have not played a reasonably competent player with me as the Empire and them as the Rebels and won.  On the flip side, I have not lost as the Rebels against a reasonably competent or even good Imperial player.

It's the exact opposite of what it should be.  The empire should be so strong that the only way that you can escape a battle that has a Victory in it is by bringing in a Mon Cal.  Now, I know that everyone knows the Rebels eventually win.  But one of the main reason I bought EAW was to pwn with the Empire.  Now it's all imbalanced....and that bites.

Back on topic, the reason that CC's are so hard to hit is because they're LEAN.  They're way too skinny, except at the back, and the only part the turblosers target is the main body.  Tartan's are very thick all over their bodies.  That just screams target.  That, and I don't think they fire as well as CC's do when they're not on Boost Weapon Power. 

I send my tartans to distract them enough for my fighters and bombers to get the job done, then I send any free Acclamator/VSD/ISD/SSD to finish them off.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/loverdog/pffuserbar1.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/At-At_controller/leetspeak4cz1jr.gif

Select a few SDs and have them all target the corvette, and your woes disappear in a maximum of ten seconds...

Ah yes this is so true, I honestly don't get why you people would have trouble. SD are accurate against corvettes at close range, which is why I am confused.  The default entry in the hardpoints.xml file for most imperial laser hardpoints is

Corvette, 7.0

Now to my knowledge the smaller the number the more accurate your ship is, so 7 is pretty darn accurate.  But if you want to be even better you can change it to like 1 or something.  So it leads me to suspect that your ships fire like one salvo and then shoot at something else.  So keep clicking on the corvette over and over if you have to until its dead.  Kill them all first, then go after the Capitals.

But you can edit the hardpoints.xml file (if you really feel you need to) and go to every hardpoint on imperial ships and look for the line: Corvette, X.0 and make the number smaller.

X being the nubmer that is currently there and change it to a smaller number, such as 1.0

OR spread your SD out so that 2 are always far enough away to hit the little punks accuratly.  And concentrate on them first.