Re: Enemy AI not teching up?

Blackjack2

I have been playing EAW off and on now since the game was released and I am seeing some odd behavior on the part of the enemy A.I. It doesn’t seem to be teching up.

At first, I believed this to be a difficulty issue. I played my first few conquests on easy and therefore, I figured, the enemy was staying low tech to facilitate that ease.

I am now playing a medium difficulty conquest as the rebels on the 43 planet galactic map. By default this map starts at Tech three but, I went into the advanced options and turned it down to Tech one (I like starting from scratch).

I am now in the day 40-50 range and all the Empire has ever sent after me is Acclamators and Tarten Cruisers in space, and AT-STs, Tie Maulers, and Infantry on the ground. I am pretty sure all of that is Tech 1 Stuff. They also do not have anything greater than a level 2 station anywhere, which I believe is also an indication that the Empire has not progressed passed Tech 1.

I am fully teched up at this point and very surprised that on medium difficulty I was able to finish my tech tree before my AI opponent has really even begun. Not to mention the fact that I am tired of seeing Acclamators. My space conflicts have zero variety. I am dying to pit my Mon Cals against some SD’s. (the enemy still has both Kuat and Fondor)

Is there something I am missing here? I am not usually someone that would be considered good at this type of game so medium difficulty is usually about right for me. Perhaps in this case I need to jump up to hard, but in my experience that level of difficulty is usually pretty insane.

Is anyone else noticing that the AI seems to tech up rather slowly (at least, on easy-medium difficulties)?

In my perspective,

the AI of the Empire is a no high-tech AI. On my experience on the Empire the Alliance AI does lvl up their tech. It is as if the Empire AI doesn't know that the tech upgrade is needed. this is really a NO FUN game if they don't know how to upgrade though. But still all i ever get from both sides of Medium AI is 40++ tartans or gunships. Tedious to kill.

The AI is not increasing their Tech-level because it's cheating and gots Tech 5 instantly. It builds only smaller units (and overuses some of them for example any Corvette, MPTLs etc), either a trick to simulate tech-improvement (after 100 days AI may build better Units) or because our AI is just buggy.

BTW I can prove the AI is Tech-cheating: Rebs get Akbar only at Tech 4. Rebs have to steal each tech from Imperials to improve their techlevel, that means even if I've got Tech 4, Rebs still need extra-time to achive that level too. But: Rebs often get Akbar when I'm only at Tech 2 !

The AI is not increasing their Tech-level because it's cheating and gots Tech 5 instantly. It builds only smaller units (and overuses some of them for example any Corvette, MPTLs etc), either a trick to simulate tech-improvement (after 100 days AI may build better Units) or because our AI is just buggy.

BTW I can prove the AI is Tech-cheating: Rebs get Akbar only at Tech 4. Rebs have to steal each tech from Imperials to improve their techlevel, that means even if I've got Tech 4, Rebs still need extra-time to achive that level too. But: Rebs often get Akbar when I'm only at Tech 2 !

The tech level that the Rebels can steal is not limited by the tech level of the Empire.  If you don't increase your tech past 1 as Empire, the Rebels can increase all they way through 4 (thier highest) anyway.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

• 2 weeks later...

In my perspective,

the AI of the Empire is a no high-tech AI. On my experience on the Empire the Alliance AI does lvl up their tech. It is as if the Empire AI doesn't know that the tech upgrade is needed. this is really a NO FUN game if they don't know how to upgrade though. But still all i ever get from both sides of Medium AI is 40++ tartans or gunships. Tedious to kill.

Just finished one of the 43 planet conquest map games against the empire last night. They never teched up. I was fighting acclamators and tartens the entire time. It was very dissapointing. The only two heros they ever had were Tarkin and the Emperor.

I was dying to go up against some SD's, AT-AT's and the Death Star but, they never researched them. Or is they did, they never built them. I think this definatly needs to be looked at.

Is anyone else noticing this?

I am starting an imperial game tonight so i'll see if the rebels suffer from the same problem.

So far I have only tried EAW on medium difficulty GC, going to try hard today. But on medium, the enemy AI never techs up as described above. And what is worse, they never build or upgrade their starbases above level 1. I did an experiment. When I was in pretty much control of everything except 10 enemy planets, I went around with a fleet and destroyed everything in space above their planets, ships and stations. Then I transferred my fleet back to my territoriy and set the game for accelerated time. I went to the store, I made some dinner and even watched a movie on television. After almost 2.5 hours I returned to the game, and all I found was lvl1 spacestations above all their planets. No fleets. This was a bit....sad. Anyone know how to make the AI work? :-)

ive noticed this too its a bit boring killing the same type of emp ships over and over again, i will try the game on hard.

but i should not be seeing this on medium, it as though the ai is thick with no common sense.

surley a patch can be done that says if i am attacking with 4 mon cal ships etc it automatcicaly sets about building is counter ship and so on.

I've played through GC on Hard now, playing Empire. And the Rebels to tech-up, on Hard. Playing Rebel now against Empire, and will see if they tech up too. I like starting at tech1 and going through the ranks.

I can "understand" that AI does not "want" to tech up on easy, but it should have tech'ed up on medium at least. In any way, Hard mode really is not hard at all. It is like SW Rebellion was, you had to play that on hard to have any ejoyment at all.

I played a Medium Conquest as the Empire this weekend and my rebel opponents seemed to tech up just fine. I have seen everything but, Mon Cal cruisers and I think that is because I have both Fondor and Kuat (The only large ship building planets on the particular map I am playing). MPTL's are freaking lethal  :o

So it would seem that it is the Imperial AI that is not teching up.

Has anyone played a Medium/Hard Conquest against the Empire starting at Tech 1 and seen them using units above tech 1?

One thing that might be important is that on my Rebel game against the imps, I was playing the 43 planet conquest map and I manually set the starting tech level down to 1 in the advanced options. My Empire vs. Rebs game was on the 35 planet map (empire @ war) where the deafult starting tech level was already set to 1. So perhaps messing with the default starting teching level is screwing it up somehow.

I am going to try a rebel game on the 35 planet map and see what happens.

I found the same thing.

Ways to sove it:

MAKE the empire ai build a research facility on coruscant or somewhere.

MAKE the empire ai uptech based on a timer. Let it cheat if it doesn't have the credits for all I care

http://www.lucasforums.com/images/avatars/tiedefender.jpgMay the force be with you, always. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/susangillan/EDF-Avatar-X-Wing.jpg

http://www.userbars.com/galerie/images/files/3/4/ffuser.jpg

http://www.pixelpwnage.com/sigs/grouptag.jpg

.Check for Updates!.

..Imperial Assault II Mod for Empire at War!!..

...Empire at War Nexus, Modding for a Galaxy Far Far Away!!!...

....Use the Spell Check Feature People!!!!....

.....International Battlefront Clan!!!!!.....

Hmm, Just sounds to me that there needs to be a patch fixing the A.I. because clearly the A.I. is bugged.  The A.I. should tech up and the rebels should never be able to progress too much further in tech level than the empire since they gain all of their tech from the empire.  By the way, limiting the rebels tech ability to stealing it "all" from the empire is a bit redundant because it's not like the rebels didn't have any scientist on their payroll right!.  I mean how in the world where they able to modifiy imperial equipment if they weren't smart enough to progress technologically without stealing it from the empire.  I mean, the rebels did have much better ships than the empire as far as effectiveness goes.....so if the empire had to build Tie Advanced to compete with the A-wings, where did the rebels get the tech to even make the A-wings superior to normal ties?

I think the rebels should have the ability to tech up with their own research facility but at a slower pace.  Then they can additionally be able to steal imperial only equipment.    The empire should have a much greater tech pace and therefore have much better ships than the rebs only until the rebs find a way to get their hands on that tech, which by the way should be one of the hardest missions to complete in the game.

But yeah, Game needs an A.I. patch, a Good one too.

Well I also noticed this problem playing as Rebel. I was playing the Galactic Conquest game with 43 planets but reduced the starting tech from default 3 to 1. All I saw were Acc and Tartans.

I read someone suggesting that perhaps changing the starting tech was the culprit. So I started a new Galactic Conquest campaign, again playing as Rebel and not changing the starting tech. And behold with starting tech 3 I saw the Empire build Star Destroyers at Kuat.

Oh I did have Total Realism mod 1.1 installed but I doubt that would change anything. I didn't in my first campaing but still.

Redeye

GAHHHHHH!  I was going to post something exactly like this when I saw this thread:

I'm a rebel baby.

I've been playing nonstop since the games release as the Rebels, and have played many of the maps.  If you saw my thread in the modding section you know that I've also modded the game so rebels have AT-AT's  8):P

Having the same problems.  The AI never builds past level 3 on the maps I play, nor do they ever ever build ONE stinking Imperial Star Destroyer.  Never once.  Then a brilliant idea came at me from reading this thread.  What if you start your galactic conquest map but change the tech level to level 5 from the VERY BEGINNING.  Ya know, where u can set it at same place as the starting money and stuff.  I'm going to try this.  I'm willing to bet they will know how to build high level space stations and Imp cruisers then.  Anyone done this? 

Proves the Imperials are dumb LOL  :P

Must be a bug in the Imp AI for them not be teching up.  Now I cant wait to try a map with starting tech at 5.  Clicking and dragging 3PO and ARtoo around doesnt really float my boat anyway.  Would be nice to get some REAL space battles going though that didnt involve 50  friggin broadside cruisers.  I hate those things.

Easy problem solving is to put lvl 5 stations to empire planets, and they will build everything...the problem is the empire mostly (not always) isnt building starbases above lvl 2 thus can only build low tech level ships, add them free starbases in and they will !

Easy problem solving is to put lvl 5 stations to empire planets, and they will build everything...the problem is the empire mostly (not always) isnt building starbases above lvl 2 thus can only build low tech level ships, add them free starbases in and they will !

How exactly would you go about giving them level 5 starbases?  I still havnt tried a map yet advanced from the beginning to level 5.  Gonna give it a whirl tonight.

Ok, I still don't know if this bug is fixed in 1.03 (since I'm at tehe office atm) but I may have found the cause of this problem while reading another thread on LA's forum. Read this:

*****But I do know of one true glitch, if you are playing as the Rebels (Medium difficulty) on the Glatic Conquest single player sinario, find the Imp. planet that has their Research Facility on it and take it and destroy the facility. The Ipm's won't build another one and will be stuck on Tech level 1.****

I do remember destroying a research facility on some the land maps when I get the auto-resolve results so this may be it.

But I do know of one true glitch, if you are playing as the Rebels (Medium difficulty) on the Glatic Conquest single player sinario, find the Imp. planet that has their Research Facility on it and take it and destroy the facility. The Ipm's won't build another one and will be stuck on Tech level 1.

Hmmmm... I have no idea if I destroyed any research facilities early on or not. If you find the above to be true please let us know. I really want to play a rebel conquest but, I don't even want to start one until I know for sure I won't have to fight acclamators and tartens the entire time.

Well I played a game on the map galactic conflict, with all the 43 planets starting with level 5 tech from the get go.  I can confirm that the Empire will indeed build Imp star destroyers and (rarely) level 4 starbases playing like that.  Its alot more fun that way.  They also go ape poop on building AT's and anti air units.  I hate those stupid cockroach units.  Although they do at least add more fun factor by making me change up strategies.

Anyone noticed anything significant since the 1.03 patch?

• 6 months later...