The Rebel Campiagn is Impossible

Lord Pickle

I played the Empire camgiagn on medium and it was fairly tame to say the least.

So I figured I'll play the Rebels on Hard since it should be more of a challenge but challenge is a huge understatment. First the Rebels don't get near as many credits so you already have to build small fleets. Second, as far as I can tell the Rebellion has no way to know what fleet is above an imperial world. The Imps had that spy droid but I thought the Rebels always knew what the imps were up to but apprently not.

Worst of all I don't know how to beat the imps in space. Petroglyph seems to hate fighters because the imps always have numerous tartans which kill my fighters and bombers in the first minute of fighting. As the Rebels I can't just say oh well cause those ships cost money to build. So here is what I think I need to do fleetwise. Have a couple of Nebulon-B's in close to destroy tartans and hold out against VSD's. Then have some corelleian gunships and marauders to take out the VSD's and tartans from long range and a few y-wings, if they can survive, as well.

If anyone has beaten or at least one continually goten their ass kicked in the Rebellion campiagn on hard please give me some tips and let me know what you think of my fleet composition.

naa, rebels use hero's as scouts, generally i use r2d2 for that, as for armies, i disagree!

don't trust the tooltips too much, a nebula-b while great at taking out tartans is good also against vsd's and to a lesser degree isd's (as long as u end the engagement quickly!), corvette's are good against tartans, gunships i group with nebula's since they generally target the same targets, i keep the fighters in the back or go around the tartans, marauders i generally only use against stations or if the enemy happens to hbave too many capital ships close to each other.

although it IS harder on rebel, but i find it more fun as there's a much greater variety in ships (and nebula's just look plain cool!)

my general defense fleet (per planet) is 3 corvette's (replaced by 2 corvette's 1 gunship on newer worlds), 1 nebula (replaced by an assault frigate on newer worlds), 4 xwings, 4 ywings while my attack fleet is antilles, 2 corvette's, 1 gunship, 2 nebula's, 1 assault frigate, 4 xwings, 5 ywings.

***Spoilers Below***

Don't read this inless you want tips for how to beat mission 5 of the rebel missions.

As soon as you get to the point where the droids can steal technology (mission 4), steal the Assault Frigate MK II technology. From there build as many of them as possable as fast as you can, intill that point you can beat mission 1-3 with just using Y-Wings and Corellian Corvettes. X Wings and Z-95 are a waste of population compared to a Corellian Corvette and I suggest you sell them. Defend the space of each of your planets bordering an enemy planet while you build the frigates, as you will at least get attacked once due to the Assault Frigates long build time and cost.

Mission 5 when you are tasked to help han solo with the wookie uprising, don't rush it. Advoid attacking Kashyyk intill you have taken every planet but it. From here you need to build up a fleet large enough to take control of the space above every imperial planet currently shown to you. Unlike rebels, the imperial cannot attack your planet inless they have dominace over space. Beat them there, then you can take your time with every planet.

Best standard fleet setup is 6 Assault Frigate MK IIs, 6 Corellian Corvettes, and 10 Squads of Y-Wings. When you start the battle you will have half of those forces in reiforcment, incase you lose a ship. Always keep your Y wings back intill all enemy Broadside-Class Cruisers and Tartan Patrol Cruisers are confirmed dead, or at least away from their Victory Cruisers. Y Wing's main objective is always the hanger of their Star Destroyers and Frigates, which 1 squad of 3 Y Wings can take out on the first shot on any imperal ship. Second objective is the hanger/shields of the station. Most of the time I go for the hanger first and use my assult ships to beat down the shields. I only ran into one Hyper Velocity gun, and to beat it I just bought in my remaining 5 Y wings.

For land battles after you dominate all space of mission 5, most battles can be won with lots of MP2L-2A Artillery and T4-B Heavy Tanks with Infiltrator backup for control points. 10 Heavy Tanks and Artillery with 3 Infiltrators is usually enough to take all forces on mission 5's land.

Once you have everything but Kashyyyk you should work on getting your fleet up to 18 assult frigates, 18 Corellian Corvettes and 30 Y-Wings for the next mission before sending your land force to finish mission 5.

Mission 6, I am not going to go into detail since you havn't gotten this far yet, but you want to take all planets but the objective first like you did for Kashyyyk. The faster you beat their planet with the space station level 5, the less Star Destroyers you will have to face here. Take space as fast as possable with your forces from mission 5 as they don't have much of a starting fleet for mission 6, but build up fast if left alone.

Edited by Destman

To add to Destman post. 

Build up your fleet before the Kashyyyk mission like he said.  If you give the empire lots of time, the empire will make a huge fleet og VSDs,  I think I saw like 40 in one group with lots of broadside.  I made some bad calls and some bad auto reloves that put me in this situation.  I had to stay on Kuat and Kashyyyk.  On both planets I had the highest level space station and ion cannon on the ground, woth some fleet.  I took control of Bothawui to watch all the enemy fleets,  I had for control of land but the empire wouldn't let me kept the space.  Try and kept the lines a two or three planet front.  I did the rest of the mission from this postion, and taking a few more planets.

I must not fear

Fear is the mind-killer

Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration

I will face my fear

I will permit it to pass over me and through me

And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing

Only I will remain

-- The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

from the novel Dune by Frank Herbert

http://www.petroglyphgames.com/images/hierarchy_banner1.jpg

Its not that mission that is hard, it is completeing that mission unlocks 7 other planets for the empire and gives them the ability to build Star Destroyers. It would be best to take every planet you see before completeing a objective, that way when new planets unlock they won't have much time to build before you attack.

Do not underestimate.......the power of 3 ion cannons.

I too found the Rebel campaign ridiculous once the Empire starts attacking in earnest. However, the solution is actually pretty simple:

- make sure you have as few border planets as possible. For each one, build 3 ion cannons. Yes. 3. With 3 ions, you will be able to fire roughly every 20-30 seconds. This will stop nearly any Imperial Fleet, period.

- backing up those defensive ion cannons, all you need is corvettes and Assault frigates. Forget fighters, forget nebulons. MAYBE keep some y-wings in reserve.

- Your assault fleet can actually be pretty simple. 6-8 assault frigates, 6-10 corvettes and 4-6 marauders. It's large-ish, but you really only need one of these. Pour all the rest of your pop cap into giant defensive fleets babysitting the ion cannon border worlds. The key to the assault fleets is the Marauders. If it's visible on the map, they can hit it. You setup your frigates and corvettes as pure defense and you veeeeery slowly creep forward until you can see the space station. From then on, the marauders can just chip away eternally. As long as you're not engaging a monster defensive fleet, your frigates should be able to handle any incoming hostiles.

*spoiler below*

The triple ion cannon thing is so nasty that I think I was actually able to beat a mission I was intended to lose. When they send that monster fleet against Alderaan with the DS, I actually -won- the battle. Final Imperial losses were like 6 ISDs, 15-20 victories, and uncountable smaller ships. The ions were able to keep them massively suppressed. So even though it was dicey for awhile, I ended up winning the battle with only maybe 50% fleet losses.  Of course, the DS then proceeded to toast Alderaan, but that's a different story :)