Question for Petroglyph

Faceh

Just so we know is work still continuing on fixing the multiplayer aspect of the game as there are still quite a few people who are unable to play multi myself included even after the 1.02 patch.

its not a firewall problem for me anyway as it hangs at game connecting with and without my firewall on.  I have left it for several min's so I know its hanging.  This is really not an enjoyable experence as I was looking forward to multi.

If anyone has this same problem and by some chance has corrected it please let me know.

thanks

Edited by Cain

Of course they gonna blame firewall or anything else .

Its the easy way to get out of the mess .

Most ppl on the chat play other game without any problems .

Its not the firewall or the config of the computer or the router , its the game .

It work here , but only with a few ppl .

I would say , 80% cant play mp .

Im sure they know all this anyway , it was realeased too soon and untested .

THe patch 1.2 dint fix anything , and im sure its gonna take a lot of time to see a patch for this .

THank you , lucas and Petroglyph , you gave me a lot of fun friday and this weekend .

Total waste of money .

We've already heard your complaining lucienskywalker. Please don't go saying that EAW was a waste of money on every single thread. You don't know that 80% of people can't play multiplayer. The patches did fix some issues. They also showed that Petroglyph isn't going to abandon the game. I stand by Petroglyph until the end. I know that many people are complaining that there isn't enough variety, multiplayer doesn't work, it's too hard, it isn't good enough for real RTS player, blah blah blah....There are never games that people don't complain about. There has never been a game that didn't have bugs. Now if people would play the game and just try to have fun instead of complaining about it, the world would be a much better place.

I'm sure most of the problem with multiplayer is the firewalls. It is the same with any multiplayer game for PC. There are firewalls that some computers have and others don't. At least Petro is making an effort to fix it.

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

We've already heard your complaining lucienskywalker. Please don't go saying that EAW was a waste of money on every single thread. You don't know that 80% of people can't play multiplayer. The patches did fix some issues. They also showed that Petroglyph isn't going to abandon the game. I stand by Petroglyph until the end. I know that many people are complaining that there isn't enough variety, multiplayer doesn't work, it's too hard, it isn't good enough for real RTS player, blah blah blah....There are never games that people don't complain about. There has never been a game that didn't have bugs. Now if people would play the game and just try to have fun instead of complaining about it, the world would be a much better place.

I'm sure most of the problem with multiplayer is the firewalls. It is the same with any multiplayer game for PC. There are firewalls that some computers have and others don't. At least Petro is making an effort to fix it.

We've already heard your kind word for the game Dorkthehunter . Please don't go saying that EAW was not a waste of money on every single thread .

Its not the firewall , ITS THE GAME .

I was there for many other RTS game when it was realease AND ALMOST NOBODY HAD PROBLEMS .

In other RTS , the only thing you cant do is HOSTING without managing FIREWALL , NOT JOINING .

Why cant you admit ITS NOT WORKING FOR MOST PPL in mp?

And because of that , its very difficult to host a game , it sometimes take more than 20 try to make one working .

Its not the game, its ****** Gamespy. That was the stupidest decision they made in making the game, deciding to use Gamespy software for Multi.

Its the game , why gamespy is working for all other games? Even when the day they are released?

Do you know what is not working? Its the new thing that detect router , its not working for everybody .

Lets say it work for a minority .

In other games , you cant host if you dont configure your firewall/router but you can join  . But EAW was made so you dont need to configure your firewall/router for hosting. But it cause issue to most players now . ANd this autoconfig thing make players unable to join server .

Its not rocket science .

I am not complaining about the game i just want to know that help is gonna be forthcoming I want to play mp and i'm not gonna be able to that unless its fixed.

so please do not turn this into a flame petro thread as it certainly was not intended for that.

and dork my issue deffinatly is not firewall because i have disabled my firewall and it still wouldnt play mp so my guess is its a combination of the game and gamespy which hopefully will be fixed soon.

Of course more patches are planned. 1.02 was to fix the disconnect issue from the server, not connecting issues.  Connecting issues are going to take more time.  We'll nail them though. Honestly,  in my 10 years of RTS games, this is actually very normal for a game with high online traffic.

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

Of course more patches are planned. 1.02 was to fix the disconnect issue from the server, not connecting issues.  Connecting issues are going to take more time.  We'll nail them though. Honestly,  in my 10 years of RTS games, this is actually very normal for a game with high online traffic.

Not an RTS, but in SWG, the day of release the servers didn't even work. So having trouble here isn't nearly as bad as one where the game is completely online and doesn't work. Of course in SWG this was a bad omen of things to come, hope it isn't the same for EAW lol

At the risk of of more "no its not, yes it is, no its not"... it's not the game. Just because your setup is correct and you can't connect doesn't mean it's the game. If ANYONE playing doesn't have theirs setup correctly, the whole thing dies. Now maybe that was a poor decision, but it's still not the games fault. Play with only people that have things setup correctly and it works perfectly. As Delphi said, this isn't all that suprising. What IS suprising is how fast they've fixed the initial issues.

Gamespy software isnt that great, even the Zone is superiors to the ingame multiplayer. You cant even see who is in what match without joining. Generals Online used Gamespy too and it wasnt very good either. In fact it looked very alike.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3488/zersigef1.jpg

Honestly,  in my 10 years of RTS games, this is actually very normal for a game with high online traffic.

But that doesn't make it acceptable.  I'm averaging only 22% of games getting past the inital connection screen, and 13% getting through the entire game without errors occuring (including quick matches).  It would be a lot higher if I didn't keep giving up and switching to single player.

Ever play a Blizzard RTS online?

Zing!

All the time!  If you are implying, that we need to a battle.net like service I could not agree more. The question is, how do we build that type of infrastructure without cash?  We'll get there, in the mean time we have to do the best with what we have.

We'll find a solution guys, I promise.

Delphi-PG

All the time!  If you are implying, that we need to a battle.net like service I could not agree more. The question is, how do we build that type of infrastructure without cash?  We'll get there, in the mean time we have to do the best with what we have.

We'll find a solution guys, I promise.

I'm saying that apart from the interface, Blizzard's RTS online games feel exactly the same as local LAN games.  In fact, since everyone online has to be using the latest patch, often they are easier to setup than local games (I find invariably there will be two or so people who refuse to patch and would rather have everyone else reinstall to the gold version).  The level of transparency is amazing, and not easily duplicated.  Very little software gets to the level of "Everything Just Works All The Time", so I can't expect that.  I do, however, except the online interface to work most of the time out of the box, and at this point it's beyond fixing "Oh shoot, we forgot to remove the #define ___NETWORK_TEST_CODE___ from the gold compile" type problems.

GameSpy's site doesn't provide a whole lot of information about what their SDK/service exactly provides (without signing up for developer access, which I don't feel overly enthusiastic about doing [though they probably wouldn't give me access anyway]), but I have yet to see much evidence that there isn't fundamental problems with EaW's network code (whether it be independent of the GameSpy service or part of the GameSpy implementation).

Zing!

Just so we know is work still continuing on fixing the multiplayer aspect of the game as there are still quite a few people who are unable to play multi myself included even after the 1.02 patch.

its not a firewall problem for me anyway as it hangs at game connecting with and without my firewall on.  I have left it for several min's so I know its hanging.  This is really not an enjoyable experence as I was looking forward to multi.

If anyone has this same problem and by some chance has corrected it please let me know.

thanks

They put out 2 patches in two days. i really think they are going to continue in fixing the MP issues that have arisen.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bldumka/AFACC.gif

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/os/type/2/evoelementz.png

They put out 2 patches in two days. i really think they are going to continue in fixing the MP issues that have arisen.

You bet we'll keeping working on fixing the issues.  Networking is a bit tricky, and may take some time for a solid solution.

Delphi-PG