Please help me make my decision....

crazylegsmurphy

I have successfully whined about it being my b-day long enough that my girlfriend has offered to buy me this game, or something else I want. I just have a few questions that would be awesome if you guys that have played the game could answer.

1. Build times - are they better or the same? (space travel times as well)

2. Are the bases constructed well? (meaning are they random, or well thought out?)

3. How fun is multiplayer? What are the limits/suprises?

4. What is the total planet number in multiplayer?

5. Is anyone noticing if the maps/battles are repeatative?

6. Does the lack of "auto repair" actually effect the gameplay?

7. Is anyone noticing the pop cap?

8. Who is bored/frustrated already? Why?

9. Are there any suprises that weren't in the demo, that are in the game? (Like the Devs led us to think)

10. Putting all Star Wars bias aside, is it actually a good game or not?

Thanks for your time and answers!

I have successfully whined about it being my b-day long enough that my girlfriend has offered to buy me this game, or something else I want. I just have a few questions that would be awesome if you guys that have played the game could answer.

build times are a bit slow

space battles are quiker then te demo in my opnion and also better, this way you dont hve to wait forever before your fleet arives

2. Are the bases constructed well? (meaning are they random, or well thought out?)

you cant decide where to build your base but more inportant buildings are more 'inside' the base.

not played the multiplayer much

should be increasing i saw around 10 playes today, but the game has only hit the shelves today so... nd there are alot of people who cant buy it the first day its out, but in the next weekend

dunno

not realy i find it usefull but could affect gameplay in a way yes, but could be moddeble

hm the more pop cap the better

maybe the campagin a bit short but what did ya expect? the mission ai was a bit easy in my opnion

95 ingame days and i was on the last mission for imperial campagin.

9. Are there any suprises that weren't in the demo, that are in the game? (Like the Devs led us to think)

dunno

Dont know what to answer, i bought it for the strategic stuff also because i am a bit starwars fan AND because there is a good fanbase.

I love when a game can get a immortal life. (i mean the communitys stay active, get alot of patches and stuff like that

hope that helped?

1- there is a slider to slow the SP modes(all of them GC story etc..) slower movement speed build times etc.. as far as i can tell MP use's a default speed setting to keep things moving.

2-i do mostly space battles online :) as far as the land maps i have seen there as good as the demo map for layouts for the most part some better some worse.

3-I find it greatly fun and enjoyable, not for sure what you mean by limts though, suprise's are left up to how good your enemys are.

4-21 right now thought delphi that is just for now (meaning either they are adding more or moders will)

5- this will be the same as ALL RTS games ever made either you will enjoy it and never notice or like every rts you will find yourself doing the same thing every game after awhile.

6-dont bother me at all.

7-i do lol would like a 40pop cap for space and 15 for ground although even with a 2.8 1.5gig ram and a 7800gt 256 card if i use the fast mode speed it will cause the game to start lagging even after i slow the game down it will pause and start for a bit before smoothing out again.

8-not me.

9-lol well the base demo hardly had anything so they told the truth there are alot of suprise's in the retail, but the moders had almost everything unlocked at the end.

10-i rate the game around a 9 out of 10, only game rts wise thats higher is kohan i rate that a 10-10 i played it for 5 years :)

What the game lacks currantly or might lack with units etc wil be delt with in Mods, Mods make games so much better most of the time :) so dont count the game out by all means, also it all depends on your mindset realy, some poeple can easly get board of a certian type of game then others, others can play the same game for years etc etc, it all depends on your own taist realy.

Dont buy the game until they release a patch that fixes the huge amount of game errors, especially the Multi one. Otherwise its a waste of money.

Uh, dude....

There has been a patch and the bugs have been fixed. And I have no clue what errors you're talking about. Could you possibly elaborate a little more?

"The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some would consider to be unnatural."- Darth Sidious

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/2268/tfomegag25vz.jpg

So, it has been decided.

I sat down with my friends tonight at the mall and we discussed if we were all going to walk to the EB games and get the game. As I have unofficially been designated information gatherer I sat down and let them know all of the info I have gotten in the last few months.

We have decided to pass on this game for now.

After reading the reviews and feedback from players it seems as though it comes down to a few key points.

1. Consistantsy - It appears that the issues with the game are happening across the board. Multiplayer problems, AI problems, Installation issues, and boring gameplay seems to be pretty consistant among a lot of users.

2. Replay Value - The game hasn't even been out for two days and game sites, and players are already saying that the games replay value is low. People are finishing the game in a matter of hours. The maps are bland. The ground combat is boring...these are all things that are being said by a lot of people.

3. Completeness - It appears to me that somewhere along the line EAW bit off a bit more than it could chew. It seems that in an attempt to simplify things, they actually resulted in creating a whole new set of problems. From what I have seen, the DEV's keep talking about patches. Now, well this seems good, the point is that patches are what you do when something isn't working.

This was really a tough choice for us. We have been waiting so long to try this game, but in the end it just didn't seem like this game was ready. There are too many issues that still need to be ironed out, and we really don't like the mentality of, "It'll be fixed in mods."

Modding is not a solution to a stable game. DEV's need to strive for a game that is so well done, that the idea of modding doesn't even cross the mind of the players. In my opinion modding should be used when you get tired of the game and you want to give it some new playability, not as a tool to fix the problems not caught by the DEV's.

Anyway....We have decided to hold off on this game for 6 months. Allow it time to mature a bit and see what kind of support it gets. If the DEV's have at that point addressed most of the issues, or even released an add on, we will look at it again at that point.

I feel almost as this is a tearfull goodbye in a way as I have been following this game since day one. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best, and it's hard to walk away. It's not really even about the money anymore as I'm sure if I really wanted to I could aquire the game through other means, but it just simply doesn't seem worth the time or effort to do so.

So I will check back in time. For those who enjoy the game, then I admire you and I hope you have fun. For the rest of you who are shaking your heads in frustration, I encourage you to keep on the backs of the DEV's and LA. E-mail them, call them, write them....but let them know that you are tired of this type of treatment. Let them know that your $50 and time are very important to you and if they want your continued support they will end the "I can't say much right now" and start treating the gamers like the should be treated.

To the DEV's...it's time to stop with the vagueness. It's time to step up and start to admit where things need work instead of trying to find a silver lining on everything. It's time to own up to the mistakes and start being completely honest with your customers as to when patches will be out, and what they are addressing.

It's time for you guys to start supporting the project in more ways than just the odd comment here and there on a random message board. You need to start conducting yourselves like a real business and use the resources you have at your desposal, such as the LA website, the gaming sites, e-mail, etc. There are a lot of people out there that are not aware of your dealings on this forum and they need to be brought up to speed.

I honestly think you guys have come very, very close to hitting the nail on the head with this game. I think that you need to really use this feedback to explain to the powers that be, that mass market games result in mass market frustration. Don't be afraid to develop a game for everyone, hardcore players, and the casual ones. And finally, just because your team sat around and decided that something worked doesn't mean your players do....listen to these people, take what they are saying and apply it to your game.

Good luck, later!