I just played Delphi-PG

marine436

.... first off he totally owned me, i didnt get to go on the offensive once, i was trying to barely hold my outskrits i won a few small battles but all the major push's were totally his

anyways he also made muiltplayer hes a really nice guy i told him that i liked the fact they patched the first day with some problems unlike ea games for bf2 and he said they just wanted to fix some issues

over-all it made my first day of sweaw that much better

Edited by Cain

If after the game went gold they did a Scenario that caused a problem of course they would want to release a patch.  It just shows how dedicated to the game they really are.  Or just what LEC did to try and get the game released on time.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

Patches are good, but patches that are out before the game say something bad..

LOL no that is good IMO most companys wait 1-3months before they patch and every single game out the door needs a patch no game works 100% bug free on all systems.

So we are not allowed to fix things after the game has gone gold?  You're saying it would be better to wait than be proactive?  Sorry,not going to happen with this team.  ;D  Plan on seeing more patches.

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

I sense abuse from "other" companies regarding patches.  Sad.  :P

I'll let you in on a little secret... there's about a 3-5 week gap between going gold (i.e. you're done with the game) and having it hit shelves.  None of us went on vacation, forgot about the game, or just goofed off with other stuff.  We've been playing the game nonstop since it went gold, and lo, we found some things we wanted to fix, so we fixed them.  As Delphi said, we've had the patch in test for several weeks.

Was the game playable without the patch?  Sure.  Does the patch make it more playable? You bet.

Ishmael-PG

Sr. Designer

www.petroglyphgames.com

You guys having a patch ready on game Day speaks volumes about your dedication. So many game Companies abuse thier Players by waiting a month or more to release patches to things they know need fixing.

You get a High Five for being on the ball and next time im in vegas pizza is on me ;)

makeing it gold go then makeing a patch is alot better, we get the same sooner and they get the issues fixed

Wha...?!

You do realise that a hell of a lot of people play games who don't have access to the Internet, don't you? :)

Sure, I do and I'm incredibly glad to the people who made this, for bothering to think about those of us 56K people who are unable to get broadband ability (literally, in my case - I'm on a boat in a marina and you won't find any engineers who'll want to install it here!), but depending on people being able to download patches to make a product able to be used is just lazy business practice.

As I've heard so many glowing reviews of the demonstration version being stable, I'm hoping that whatever's being patched is more along the lines of polishing, rather than along the lines of what games like 'X3' did, but arguing in favour of a company should releasing a crappy product onto the market and applying successive band aids to fix obvious problems (which I'm not saying is necessarily the case here), is just overly nonsensical.

So, please remember, not everyone has cable (the last time I saw a survey along those lines, it was a minority of Internet-enabled users who had that) or even any personal access to the Internet. Sure, a lot of people have an E-mail address, but that doesn't mean a thing. It's what public libraries are often used for. :)

But as I say, this isn't a protest against the company of this game, because it sounds like it's fairly good, plus they've had the good grace to release the patch in a size which is at least downloadable within the usual two hour limit that us 56K people have to put up with! :) I just don't understand people who assume that everyone has Internet access and cable speed. Most customers won't do.

I think the patch should have waited until Monday so to give people some time though it dose fix things, so its not necisseraly a bad thing, i be far more worried to see major things buged and stuff like that on a release, but the game seems stable from what i can see that no one has complained :)

Sorry, but in the game world, no internet doesn't make much sense at all.  How would you keep your drivers up to date, for example?

Magazine discs, for one, but the most likely answer is that such people usually wouldn't be able to.

I know I was able to use an ATI 9000 and it still worked on virtually everything I had, even up to 'Rome: Total War' without ever needing an update! The only thing which absolutely required it was 'Half-Life 2', which seemed to have a fixation about continuously forcing the system to be as updated as physically possible.

I've since graduated onto something a lot more modern, but it's definitely a mistake to imagine that it's impossible for people to not have an Internet connection and play games regularly. In fact, most of the people I know who have a computer rely on their place of work to answer mail with and don't have a connection at home and they're not exactly poor or anything.

I'd imagine that it could easily be as high as potentially a quarter of total computer users who don't have a connection at home, but definitely a minority who have higher than a 56K speed. They're getting higher, but still not the majority. You just don't hear from them much in the most visible forums, because they have no reason to buy the sorts of games which are built around multiple player stuff. :)

That this game has been designed to be playable on very low specification systems is something which is going to work hugely in its favour and, in my view, guarantee a lot of sales. A potential success, just from simply doing that!

Magazine discs, for one, but the most likely answer is that such people usually wouldn't be able to.

I know I was able to use an ATI 9000 and it still worked on virtually everything I had, even up to 'Rome: Total War' without ever needing an update! The only thing which absolutely required it was 'Half-Life 2', which seemed to have a fixation about continuously forcing the system to be as updated as physically possible.

I've since graduated onto something a lot more modern, but it's definitely a mistake to imagine that it's impossible for people to not have an Internet connection and play games regularly. In fact, most of the people I know who have a computer rely on their place of work to answer mail with and don't have a connection at home and they're not exactly poor or anything.

I'd imagine that it could easily be as high as potentially a quarter of total computer users who don't have a connection at home, but definitely a minority who have higher than a 56K speed. They're getting higher, but still not the majority. You just don't hear from them much in the most visible forums, because they have no reason to buy the sorts of games which are built around multiple player stuff. :)

That this game has been designed to be playable on very low specification systems is something which is going to work hugely in its favour and, in my view, guarantee a lot of sales. A potential success, just from simply doing that!

If they don't have internet, then they won't know there's a patch and since the game is playabel without. No harm no foul.

If they don't have internet, then they won't know there's a patch and since the game is playabel without. No harm no foul.

I already stated that I wasn't specifying this game, but was instead arguing against those who advocate products in general should be released in an extremely raw form and then patched up to a useable state later. Would you want to buy a car which was almost certainly guaranteed to crash if you drove it, on the understanding that, if you received enough free attention at the local garage, it might possibly let you drive safely? :)