Textures

Anyone find a way to get a texture to show for one instance of that model?

I ask because I'm trying to create a custom unit, to later turn into a unique hero. But as of now I can't get just one unit to use that texture. I see no XML command to pick a different texture for that model then the default one.

And the only way I can find to change the texture a model uses is to A) edit the model which we can't do, and 2)Change the name of the custom texture to the current texture for that model.

The problem with 2 is it will change it for all models in the game.

I had a fleet of red, magenta, yellow, blue, black star destroyers attacking me and attacking with. Not those colors at the same time, but just from playing with that texture.

I just want to create a black star destroyer for a different type.

So anyone know a way currently to get a model do use a different texture? Or will we have to wait until the model plugins are released to edit the models to use a different texture.

if it is anything like generals the texture name will be no where to be found in any coding .. rather all textures go in a folder.. named..textures...

then u apply the texture in a 3d app

the game reads this info... and looks for the texture in the textures folder

since we cant edit 3d models yet .. no importer.. no exporter.. we have to wait.. or if u have somehow extracted them.. make a new skin that covers the same locations as the original skin..

http://www.swgbex.com/sig.jpg

Hehe IA 2 venator :P

The texture files are DDS (IIRC its the same forma tused in Homeworld), and whilst theres a good few utilities to convert this to a usable format, converting it back, however, has proved something of a pain in the backside. I Also believe that because, like any 3d model, the texture files are most likely mapped onto the models then you'll be hard pressed to be able to do anything with them just yet.

The texture files are DDS (IIRC its the same forma tused in Homeworld), and whilst theres a good few utilities to convert this to a usable format, converting it back, however, has proved something of a pain in the backside. I Also believe that because, like any 3d model, the texture files are most likely mapped onto the models then you'll be hard pressed to be able to do anything with them just yet.

Well the DDS files are easy to do. NVIDIA has plugins for it for Adobe photoshop, and also a plugin for windows explorer to view them as thumbnails. Don't remember the link, but found them via a google search. So modifying to be used in the game is easy to do, I just open them with adobe, do what I want and save them again.

The model part is what a suspected, and if you ask me big limitation. It would be much nicer if you could reference the texture in the code somehow, so as not to need copies of models just to get a different texture to one type. The same way they use variants of units to have different typed units.

They should just have a varient of texture command too. Would make having custom looks a whole lot easier to mod.

When you think about would be actually cool. What would be really cool is if they had those custom textures be sent when loading a game with someone else, giving clans that play and stuff the ability to have "clan" looking units with custom clan colors/flags or whatever.

thats for the replies though, can't wait for the full game.... (Heh the spellcheck function doesn't know what google is)

Strictly speaking its extremely difficult to just have a texture and reference it onto a model just through a text file. It is possible to "unwrap" a texture ready for applying but each model would still require the texture to be physically applied to the models surface.

Strictly speaking its extremely difficult to just have a texture and reference it onto a model just through a text file. It is possible to "unwrap" a texture ready for applying but each model would still require the texture to be physically applied to the models surface.

Thats not exactly true, otherwise why have I been able to change the texture of units in the game, without being able to apply them to models?

The model references a specific texture, but if you replace that texture with the same name on another texture, it works. No physically applying textures. Just the name of the texture.

Which yes it may be hard to do, its just a limitation for modding and stuff.

In a German forum is the MF with a new texture...  ;D

Cool

Heh forget to add the rest of my text to the post. Thats an example of the Red version of the SD texture, in that picture it was hit with Ion Cannons. All the VSD, and ISD are red. Just from modifying that one texture file for star destroyers.

No. The texture coordinates are specified when applying the texture onto the model (I mean I have done this for well over 400 models or more in the past 7 years, so I think I've got some experience), and like I said. It is extremely difficult unless you line up the replacement texture sections exactly. I would like to see your new texture but not applied to the model alongside the original just for comparison.

As for a red version of the SD texture. Not so difficult if using a hex editor and a renamed texture that uses the same filename length.

No. The texture coordinates are specified when applying the texture onto the model (I mean I have done this for well over 400 models or more in the past 7 years, so I think I've got some experience), and like I said. It is extremely difficult unless you line up the replacement texture sections exactly. I would like to see your new texture but not applied to the model alongside the original just for comparison.

As for a red version of the SD texture. Not so difficult if using a hex editor and a renamed texture that uses the same filename length.

you may have experince but you are making it harder then it is.

If you don't modify the texture at all, and just mess with the color values, you don't need to apply it to the model, you just rename the new one to have the same file name as the old one. Don't even need a hex editor, just use windows to change the file name.

They are in the attached rar file, if you can't view DDS files then you will have trouble as thats what format they are in. The modified EV_StarDestroyer.DDS file is called EV_RED.DDS. The original is the other one of course. I did my work in Adobe photoshop CS, loading the default MIP values for the file.

To make your star destoyers red simply change the name of the EV_RED.DDS to EV_StarDestoyer.DDS and place it in the folder \GameData\Data\Art\Textures folder load up the game and you got red VSD, and ISDs