Re: Bombers overpowered?

vasuba_pff

So far i love everything about the game for the most part but Bombers I'm a bit uneasy with.

Bombers are more effective at killing capital ships then other capital ships are. It seems rather strange they ignore the shields of a ship and do straight damage. Both sides have a counter to the bomber but if the Players are smart they'd just keep their bombers back tail the larger ships killed the fighter killers then send all their bomber squads in to finish the mess.

Wouldn't it Make more sense for bombers to do  shield damage greater then the lasers first then when shields down hammer the hull? It makes hard points like the shield generators completely worthless as they die in the first pass by a single bomber squadron let alone was 3 or 4 can do to a ship.

You mention what a smart player would do to protect their bombers, yet not what a smart player would do to protect their anti-bombers and destroy the other player's bombers. What I'm saying is, the decisions a player makes can be countered. You're holding your Y-Wings back until you destroy the Tartans? Other player is holding their Tartans back until you reveal your fighters. At which point it becomes a capital ship slugout, and whoever is on the losing side would be forced to reveal their backup first, or retreat.

There's the tactics. That's the objective. That will be the meat of the space battles, wits, it'll be awesome. No one ship type can expect to win a battle. ISDs would probably be the best equipped to defend themselves against most units due to their onboard fighter complement and high durability, but a 20-cap fleet of Y-Wings (60 Y-Wings) vs 20-cap fleet of ISDs (6 ISDs, lots of ties) would manage to take out a fair few ISDs before being defeated.

Y-Wing Fleet cost: 4200

Cost of 1 ISD: 5900

Destroy one ISD and they've already won that engagement by cost value.

You may think I'm proving your point, but in actuality, this just means ISDs should never fly without anti-fighter support in the form of the Tartan Patrol unit. These units will chew through fighters with ease.

Take the same engagement as before, but replace 2 of the ISDs with 8 Tartan Patrol units. Imperial fleet is now 4 ISD, 8 Tartans for total cap of 20. Y-Wings fly in, Tartans take point against them as TIE fighters support the ISDs. With their boost firepower ability, the Y-Wings would probably not be able to destroy a single ISD before being annihilated by the Tartans/TIEs. Point being that no one massed ship will win unless pitted against a mass of ships they are designed to counter. Unfortunately, Petro/Lucasarts decided to not let players experience battle against a well-rounded fleet. I'm okay with that. Mods have shown me the balancing between the ships, and multiplayer will be a blast.

my reply isnt in response to tactics but a question about bombers.  are bombers able to attach other starfighters and as far as warheads go do they launch proton torpedos or space bombs or is there a choice?  and i guess while were at it what do x-wings and a-wings have besides lasers?  sorry if its too many questions.

in the demo I used nothing but bombers for the space battle. The millenium falcon takes care of all the fiighters so  I just let the bombers take down the 2 Star destroyers and the space station

Yeah, I would say they probably are, but are easily countered.

Hey, at least this is one thing in EAW that is totally in line with Star Wars realism! In all the EU a bunch of bombers could take down a big capital ship.

"For every TIE fighter you shoot down, a thousand more rise to take its place"

-Baron Fel

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/0/baronfel66.png

Yeah, I would say they probably are, but are easily countered.

Hey, at least this is one thing in EAW that is totally in line with Star Wars realism! In all the EU a bunch of bombers could take down a big capital ship.

B-wings and K-wings...sigh..cant wait for the full game..cant wait the next day to DL the first mods.

The bombers, so as long as you can protect them fit in perfect though I believe.  the demo is good feedback for petroglyph to modify values before the final game is released so I'm not confident the bombers will stay as powerful.  Right now I think some cap ships are really underpowered.  The fighters and bombers seem ok, but VSD's, ISD's, Mon cal cruiser's etc, seem a little underpowered.  The special ability to boost shields just doesn't help you in any way because your shields still go down fast.    In battle against a full fleet that has a counter to every ship you can throw at them, it seems to come down to who has the larger number of ships, how fast you can take out the space stations hangar bay and any cap ships that has multiple squadron spawning from it, like the ISD (or is it the VSD). 

One other thing that I am disappointed with is that the tie bombers don't have any special ability like the y-wings ion cannon shot.  Seems like they should have some kind of missile ability since they have powerful missiles as well.

anyway, y-wings might be powerful, but 2 tartans can destroy multiple y-wings before they can make a second pass and in some cases before they make the first pass since y-wings are slow as dirt.

just to illustrate how easy it is to kill Y-Wings with-out Tartans, I will tell you an experience I had while defending Coruscant with the Empire Mod for the demo.

OK, So the rebels come knocking, space battle loads I immediately group all my units, and I send them towards the rebel spawn point(stupid me, I have no Tartans). I get about halfway to the central asteroid cluster with my ISDs when a group of 8 squadrons of Y-Wings comes into view flying in a V formation. I immediately think, "Oh Shit" than I remember that I have Boba Fett with me. I send him in, and as he passes the front sqaudron, I lay down a seismic charge and it killed every single Y-Wing in that V formation. I than proceeded to 3 shot Home One with my Hyper Velocity Cannon =)

And when he reaches Heaven,

To St. Peter he will tell,

"Just another soldier reporting Sir,

I've served my time in Hell."

man I've posted in a lot or rooms today.    any ways i really do think that the torpedo's and missiles shouldn't go through shields. i know that the fighters are easy to counter but what about the cap ships that shoot torps and missals like the acclimator and venitor and vsd i think not to mention the gunboat, and its imp equivalent as well as the broadside and the marauder corvette o and the space station itself.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/WhatsHisFace146/1bc5ff57.jpg

Begun, the clone war has

-yoda (ep.2)

The missles and bombs go through the shields because of the way these shields work in the SW universe.  But then again, there are inconstistencies because there are a few things in SW that indicate that ships also have particle shields to go along with their energy shields.  This is a matter of simplicity of design really.  You would need to model both shields and have different bars for each and all that jazz.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

at the moment i'm reading the x-wing series on novels again and from the descriptions i have read ofthe space battle scenes proton torpedoes do not pass straight thru shields the are used to batter down the shields with the explosive force of their warheads. once the shields have failed any remaining torps will do damage to the hull.

an example i read in the book (granted it EU and not classed as canon) on the outboubnd run from borleias corran horn and a squadron of Y-wings were able to knock out a capital ship. roughly half the torps took down the shields and the rest destroyed the vessel itself thru massive structural damage.

i think that makes sense..:P

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/Lion54/Wedgeanisig.gif