Hypervelocity Gun

Nevets

Those playing the mods know how deadly this thing can be. While I'm sure that in the real game its turnover rate wont be close to the no recharge rate in the mod, it still will be a force to be reckoned with.

It probably wont be to dangerous to me since I am imperial, but I will still have to deal with the ion canon.

So how do you deal with this?

Are you able to raid the system to get to the ground to destroy it? Or do you just have to send a huge fleet that you are willing to sacrifice to beat the fleet in oribit before the gun can destoy you?

Would be fun to have infiltrators that you could send to sabatoge it.

since the rbles do get infiltrators this would be a good idea

Evacuate, in our moment of triumph. I think you overestimate their chances. :)

Please can you post a comment on My clone story, in fan fiction. :)

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=2306.0

(\_/)

(O.O)

(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination

Unless I am mistaken, the infiltrators do not have the ability to sabotage.  I say this because I believe a complaint was made in another thread (can't find right now) about the lack of this ability.

The reload time on this and the Ion Cannon are going to be very important in how to deal with them.  If the reload is the same as in the demo, the Rebels will have a huge advantage in this realm.  Although the Ion Cannon does not do direct damage to a ship, it freezes it in place, drops its shields completely and, from what I could tell, disables the Imperials' hanger bays on the ship it disables.  This causes a considerable problem as an ISD can be completely disabled and destroyed at the Rebels' leisure.  The hypervelocity canon is more direct in the way it deals with an enemy fleet but the Imperials have no way to get at the ION cannon like the Rebels do.  The Raid ability of the Rebels is a powerful tool that should not be disguarded by either side.  The Rebels have the capability to land in an imperial system, bypassing the hypervelocity cannon and attempt to disable the cannon or the power generator that feeds it (don't know whether or not this will render the cannon unusable).  Once the Hypervelocity cannon has been neutralized, one way or another, the Rebels can attack the system conventionally.

But get this... remember the video of the Hypervelocity Cannon firing on the Rebel space station in orbit?  That would only happen if the Rebel player is stupid enough to build a space station over an imperial held world... Which I don't even think is possible, so that video was rigged I think.  But on the other hand, the Rebels can take a system out from under the Imperials using raids.  Therefore an Imperial could face the prospect of having an Ion Cannon firing on it from the planet while the Rebel forces are attacking to take the space area.

The dynamics of how this is set up feels very good as I think that the Imperials will be able to do direct, massive damage when they face the Rebels directly, but will be required to spread themselves out more because of the Rebel's guerrilla abilities.  How all of this works out is not coincidence, but it sure feels like a good one.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

If bypassing the fleet fails, one way is to limit the amount of capital ships that you bring into the battle.  The Hypervelocity gun can't target fighters, so if you want to take out the fleet, just make sure you have a large amount of fighters in the fleet, and only bring in 2-3 capital ships at a time.  You can't apply this to the Imps though.

I have a question about Rebel raids. If the Rebels send a raid fleet to a planet in which I have a space fleet stationed in orbit consisting of tie bombers will I then be able to call in bombing runs to aid in the defense against the raiding rebel ground forces?

Raid fleets are essentially just bypassing the space defenses to go straight for ground control, right? So by that logic my space fleet should be undamaged. I hope I can call down bomb strikes in my own defense in such a situation. On the flipside, the Rebel Raiders would/should also be denied the advantage of their own bombing runs as they would have no supporting space units in orbit.

Being able to use Tie Bombers in defense of a planet would seem like a needed counter to rebel raiding.

I think that would be possible.  As for bringing in fighters... make sure that you dont run into alot of Tartan cruisers... or the Hypervelocity gun will be nothing next to the carnage that they will cause.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png