Question for Delphi

Nick2730

Hey Delphi i had a question? Could i send you an email about your job? I am a student of game art/ design and im trying to get some info from people who actually do it. If you like it, whats its like, where you went things like that. If i cant email you can a post it in this thread?

Thanks Nick

I'm interested too. IF I go to university, I wanna become a computer programmer for pc games. or well anything but art designing... yeah I like more specific stuff lol, plus I'm not good at painting haha. so yeah in 6 months if I go to university I'll start studying about that, so I'm interested.

It is up to Delphi if he thinks that this is an appropriate question for him to answer.  I am not sure why it wouldn't be, but this thread should be in the bar as it is not EAW specific.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

I'm interested too. IF I go to university, I wanna become a computer programmer for pc games. or well anything but art designing... yeah I like more specific stuff lol, plus I'm not good at painting haha. so yeah in 6 months if I go to university I'll start studying about that, so I'm interested.

lol, i got about 2-3 years left for my bachlors in game art/design. I tried to do C++ but its complicated and id rather do game layouts, mission making stuff like that. Wanted some input from delphi, since he does it an all :-)

Try PMing Delphi-PG if he doesn't reply within a few weeks he might not visit the bar very often. Edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn 889

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/Admiral_Antilles/Thrawncopy.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

I Support the Resistance!

Game designer

The game designer is responsible for understanding, refining, maintaining, and disseminating the game design vision, game design, mission building, gameplay balancing, and game proposal development.

Duties include

• Responsible for designing and developing project story lines, including writing proposals, treatments, levels and scenarios.
  • Develops concepts and treatments for products.
  • Writes AI and game scripts using C/C ++ or similar structured language.
  • Works with the team to define the creative vision and fun factor, as well as product content and schedule.
  • Updates design documents as needed.
  • Works closely with members of the production team to execute design and work though design revisions as needed.
  • Typically reports to Lead/Sr. Designer or Producer.

Qualifications

• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
  • Minimum of 3 years game design experience.
  • Exceptional organization, communication, and writing skills.
  • Expert knowledge of game design trends.
  • Self-directed, detail oriented, problem solver with a burning desire to contribute to a uniquely creative environment.
  • Knowledge of scripting languages and A.I.

Basically what a game designer will do is create new gameplay ideas, create the devices to make those ideas happen, and do documentation and balance testing throughout the entire process.  This process is generally done in chunks, or bits at a time, for example:

New Game Mode

• First create a design document on how the game mode will be played from the user experience (will need to be approved)
  • Identify the changes/additions needed to the core game code (if any, and not fully script based)
  • Identify any new art assets that will be needed for the game mode to work (flags for CTF, GUI graphics for user experience, etc...)
  • Create test maps to develop the game mode (usually a small shell building block, depending on the complexity of the game mode)
  • Script and work with coders on the new game mode (only working with the coders if the game mode involves core additions)
  • Script and work with art department to get any supporting art (GUI)
  • Optimize the scripting and code for speed while doing balance passes on the front end. (with 3rd party input from team)
  • Create a production quality map for this game mode
  • Playtest and test and test and balance core mode items
  • If this map is MP, have multiplayer playtest with other people, getting feedback
  • Compile all documentation to readable format (type up all those stickies)
  • Submit "your" finalyzed alpha version of the game mode
  • Get your idea ripped and shredded apart, and go back to an earlier step for changes from the lead game designer(s)

Hope that helps a bit

If you want a job at Petro i seem to remember that they were advertising at www.petroglyphgames.com and funny enough they are looking for Game designer at the moment Click on Careers! (HINT HINT!)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/Admiral_Antilles/Thrawncopy.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

I Support the Resistance!

Game designer

The game designer is responsible for understanding, refining, maintaining, and disseminating the game design vision, game design, mission building, gameplay balancing, and game proposal development.

Duties include

• Responsible for designing and developing project story lines, including writing proposals, treatments, levels and scenarios.
  • Develops concepts and treatments for products.
  • Writes AI and game scripts using C/C ++ or similar structured language.
  • Works with the team to define the creative vision and fun factor, as well as product content and schedule.
  • Updates design documents as needed.
  • Works closely with members of the production team to execute design and work though design revisions as needed.
  • Typically reports to Lead/Sr. Designer or Producer.

Qualifications

• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
  • Minimum of 3 years game design experience.
  • Exceptional organization, communication, and writing skills.
  • Expert knowledge of game design trends.
  • Self-directed, detail oriented, problem solver with a burning desire to contribute to a uniquely creative environment.
  • Knowledge of scripting languages and A.I.

Basically what a game designer will do is create new gameplay ideas, create the devices to make those ideas happen, and do documentation and balance testing throughout the entire process.  This process is generally done in chunks, or bits at a time, for example:

New Game Mode

• First create a design document on how the game mode will be played from the user experience (will need to be approved)
  • Identify the changes/additions needed to the core game code (if any, and not fully script based)
  • Identify any new art assets that will be needed for the game mode to work (flags for CTF, GUI graphics for user experience, etc...)
  • Create test maps to develop the game mode (usually a small shell building block, depending on the complexity of the game mode)
  • Script and work with coders on the new game mode (only working with the coders if the game mode involves core additions)
  • Script and work with art department to get any supporting art (GUI)
  • Optimize the scripting and code for speed while doing balance passes on the front end. (with 3rd party input from team)
  • Create a production quality map for this game mode
  • Playtest and test and test and balance core mode items
  • If this map is MP, have multiplayer playtest with other people, getting feedback
  • Compile all documentation to readable format (type up all those stickies)
  • Submit "your" finalyzed alpha version of the game mode
  • Get your idea ripped and shredded apart, and go back to an earlier step for changes from the lead game designer(s)

Hope that helps a bit

Thanks, i already know whats required of a designer. Im in school for it now, i was more looking at questions like how he broke into industry, where he started, what school, stuff that i cannot learn at school. Appreciate the reply tho

If you want a job at Petro i seem to remember that they were advertising at www.petroglyphgames.com and funny enough they are looking for Game designer at the moment Click on Careers! (HINT HINT!)

lol yea i saw that, too bad i wont graduate for like 2-3 years. Hopefully it will still be open :-) cuz ill take it

Lol, same here but I have yers to wait :(

Evacuate, in our moment of triumph. I think you overestimate their chances. :)

Please can you post a comment on My clone story, in fan fiction. :)

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=2306.0

(\_/)

(O.O)

(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination

Lol, same here but I have yers to wait :(

Yea...lets see..I'll graduate when?...appx. around 2011...but you can make a simple game using free software like rpgmakerXP*goes to check the forum rules*

http://www.lucasforums.com/images/avatars/tiedefender.jpgMay the force be with you, always. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/susangillan/EDF-Avatar-X-Wing.jpg

http://www.userbars.com/galerie/images/files/3/4/ffuser.jpg

http://www.pixelpwnage.com/sigs/grouptag.jpg

.Check for Updates!.

..Imperial Assault II Mod for Empire at War!!..

...Empire at War Nexus, Modding for a Galaxy Far Far Away!!!...

....Use the Spell Check Feature People!!!!....

.....International Battlefront Clan!!!!!.....