What Other Books are you Reading?

What Type of Books do you Read?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What Type of Books do you Read?

• Sci-fi (Star Wars [Duh], Star Trek, other)
    • Fantacy (Lord of the Rings, Malazan Book of The Fallen, Etc.)
    • Non-Fiction (Biography, Historical, Educational, Etc.)
    • Fiction (General stuff that doesn't fit above)
    • Gardening and Home (Martha Stewart, Canadain Gardening)
    • Stuff Behind the Curtain (Do I Really Need to Explain?)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To stay on topic......

I am currently reading.

1)Specter of the Past (Book 1 in Hand of Thrawn Duology.)

2)Eye of the World (Book 1 in the Wheel of Time series.)

Has anybody else read any of the Wheel of time books? I got one because my friend said they were good, so I thought I would try it. Anyone else have any Pro's or Con's about the series?

I am currently on book five of The Wheel of Time books. They are great books, each one is better than the last. Keep reading them, you wount be disappointed.

Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has, how embarrassing. - Yoda

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

Guest Admiral_Antilles
I am at the end of the first and just bought the second. I LOVE them! :D They are great, I intend to read them all. :D

I just quit the AP English class due to lack of interest and being midlead into believing it was creative writing class where in fact it is a reading class where all we do is read and write essays. Thus, I have stopped reading the four evil school books and have, on my own account, taken up Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey and, I must say, so far they are excellent!!!

They.... They are among the greatest classics of all time, my dear Admiral.... 8O8O:x8O HOw couldn't you not know them...

They are epic poems. One tells the story of Achill, and almost invincible greek hero and the siege of Troy, the Odyssey tells the story of Ulysses and his return to his home island of Ithaca after the war of Troy.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

They.... They are among the greatest classics of all time, my dear Admiral.... 8O8O:x8O HOw couldn't you not know them...

They are epic poems. One tells the story of Achill, and almost invincible greek hero and the siege of Troy, the Odyssey tells the story of Ulysses and his return to his home island of Ithaca after the war of Troy.

Unfortunatly they have Brad Pitt playing Achilles in the movie Troy. :x

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

You've really never heard of them, Antilliles? 8O You have got to be joking! 8O THis is too weird...someone who has never heard of The Iliad and The Odyssey. 8O

In some translations (those translated from Greek) have the main character of the The Odyssey named Odysseus (as well as the goddess of war called Athena or Athene, king od gods Zeus, etc)where as those translated from Latin (Roman) have him name Ulysses (as well as the goddess of war called Minvera, kind of gos Jupiter, etc). Yes, I know my Roman and Greek history.

Unfortunatly they have Brad Pitt playing Achilles in the movie Troy. :x
8O How despicable...how...disgusting!!! :x

I think that that is just sad.

Guest Admiral_Antilles
You wouldn't want to know what I think about that...

Actually I do. (But I have no idea why 8O )

Antilliles, you're what? 14? 15?

By that time I had already read them...It's sad indeed that at the same age you haven't heard of them. You're missing out a lot.

Because if you haven't heard of them one could expect that you haven't heard of many other classics...

Guest Admiral_Antilles
Sorry i just have nec=ver heard of them until now and intend to purchase them next week. :D

Sorry i just have nec=ver heard of them until now and intend to purchase them next week. :D
Yes, we did make a big deal over it, but I hope that isn't the reason you plan on buying them. If it is, sorry about us making such a big deal over it. Now, if you do buy them, make sure to find a simplier translation and not the Old English sounding ones. I don't mean to imply anything about your intelligence, just that they're a pair of confusing stories and reading them in Old English will both make them more confusing and maybe even uninteresting to you. Trust me.

You could also look up at the Internet Public Library if you want to start reading...http://www.ipl.org

I just read Manfred.... Quite good. Pretty short too.

Early I finished reading Orestes from Eurípides and Stendhal's The Red and the Black.

You can immediately notice how I'm spending my time these days... :D

Guest Admiral_Antilles
Yes, we did make a big deal over it, but I hope that isn't the reason you plan on buying them. If it is, sorry about us making such a big deal over it. Now, if you do buy them, make sure to find a simplier translation and not the Old English sounding ones. I don't mean to imply anything about your intelligence, just that they're a pair of confusing stories and reading them in Old English will both make them more confusing and maybe even uninteresting to you. Trust me.

No, It has nothing to do with that, It was just from what you all said, they sounded like good books, and I am interested in Mythology type stuff. :D

After you finish them and want to know what happens to the heroes, Agamemnon, Menalaus, etc...YOu can read the dramas from Euripides, they are pretty short and very good too, especially the ones regarding Agamemnon's son Orestes... :D

Guest Admiral_Antilles
I will check out all of those at borders and decide which one to get. Also i just started book 2 in The Wheel of Time series, Its great. I encourage you both to get the first one The Eye of the World you all would love it! Picture LOTR with some new twists and stuff, a must-read! :D