What Other Books are you Reading?

What Type of Books do you Read?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What Type of Books do you Read?

• Sci-fi (Star Wars [Duh], Star Trek, other)
    • Fantacy (Lord of the Rings, Malazan Book of The Fallen, Etc.)
    • Non-Fiction (Biography, Historical, Educational, Etc.)
    • Fiction (General stuff that doesn't fit above)
    • Gardening and Home (Martha Stewart, Canadain Gardening)
    • Stuff Behind the Curtain (Do I Really Need to Explain?)

Guest Admiral_Antilles
I finished Star by Star in two days. I even went to wal mart and read while I shoped for stuff. :D

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Admiral_Antilles
I finished Star by Star in two days. I even went to wal mart and read while I shoped for stuff. :D

Guest Admiral_Antilles
I am reading Force herectic III and the third book in the Wheel of Time series so I have had headaches trying to pick which one to read first. 8O

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure whether or not I mentioned this, but I have begun the first Agents of Chaos book, but with school starting back up here in less than a week (5 days to be exact), my [fun] reading will probably come close to disappearing...again.... :evil:

That's the advantage of being still in school. You can still be a lazy-but-smart student that continuosly keeps finding ways to avoid doing stuff for school at home and devote oneself to reading or having fun in general..
http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

I'm a little surprised that so many people answered Fantasy, yet we mostly hear about non-fiction and Sci-fi books. Well, here's my input:

- Terry Pratchett: Feet of Clay (if you've never read a Discworld novel, you're missing up on the best thing that comes in paper since hot dogs). :lol:

- Guy Gavriel Kay: Lions of Al-Rassan - completly opposite of Pratchett, dead serious fantasy novel based on old Spain. The only book that made me weep like a kid at the end. Reading it for the 781st time. :wink:

There is only one life;

There is only one truth;

There is only one EMPEROR'S GRAND PLAN.

By the way, the Emperor's not dead... he's just resting...

• 3 months later...

(not the exact topic I was looking for, but this'll do)

I thought I would update my reading list and bring this topic back into the spotlight at the same time. Why? Because I thinks it's interesting to know what everyone else reading. Nevermind the poll, at this point, who about posting what you're reading. Well...you know....

Anyway.

I'm currently reading the classic 1984 by George Orwell, a suggestion made to me by Kelly some time back....

Before that I had been reading The Tribune by Patrick Larkin, a story about a Roman prefect (who was a tribune) in the Roman province of Judea and his encounters. Christians will really appreciate the Biblical allusions made in the story, but I would suggest it to anyone for the sake of the story itself, it's quite good.

After 1984 I plan to pick back up a book I read a few years ago called Hammer Heads (by Dale Brown) about an anti-narcotic U.S. border patrol unit. It was quite good and though it was written for a different time (it was supposed to be set in the 80s or 90s, I don't quite remember), one can appreciate the relevance it has to today's events, especially Americans (homeland security, etc). At the same time, I plan to also read the A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi novels.

I'm currently not reading a second or third novel, like I usually do, because I know Kelly really wanted me to read 1984 and so I am putting my time into concentrating on it alone...kind of in a way of remembering her....

...so, what about everyone else?

1984 is a great book! Kelly certainly had reasons enough to recommend it. Orwell's Animal Farm is also a very interesting book. And there is also Homage to Catalonia, again from Orwell, what Jahled told us of his grandfather participating in the Spanish Civil War reminded me of that book.

I finished a while ago with the Thousand and One Nights, the arabian tales, which I found really entertaining. Currently I'm reading Libro de Manuel from Julio Cortázar, if there were other spanishspeaking people in the forums I'd really recommend it.

I'm ready also the White Goddess from Robert Graves, and the Poetic Edda.

1984 is a great book! Kelly certainly had reasons enough to recommend it. Orwell's Animal Farm is also a very interesting book. And there is also Homage to Catalonia, again from Orwell, what Jahled told us of his grandfather participating in the Spanish Civil War reminded me of that book.
Yes, Kelly also recommended those for me as well... She really liked George Orwell... Homage to Catalonia also reminded me of Jahled's grandfather.

I finished a while ago with the Thousand and One Nights, the arabian tales, which I found really entertaining.
That's on my list to read as well.

Currently I'm reading Libro de Manuel from Julio Cortázar, if there were other spanishspeaking people in the forums I'd really recommend it.
So I don't count as a spanishspeaker? :?

By the way, has anyone read Dude, Where's My Country? my Michael Moore? I have a friend who read it and he said it was quite good.

If I recall correctly you lived in Puerto Rico the first five (?) years of your life, although you are a spanishspeaker, you have been more in contact with the english language. Cortazar, is among the hardest spanish-writing author (if not the hardest). His style can be very confusing, he changes the narrator's point of view several times within one sentence, he plays with time and mind. He has one book, called Rayuela, that particular book can be read in two different ways. In another book he incorporates newspaper articles into the story. Or he simply starts writing with ortographic mistakes. They are not easy reads, they are rather hard to understand, I've read Rayuela thrice and I'm still dealing with some stuff, (particularly some stuff he put in in French). I know some people that read some books, and didn't like them because they didn't understand them, particularly some of the aspects of the problematic (as usual latinamerican identity problem) were hard to understand. If you think you can handle Cortázar go ahead, they are good books, but they might give you a hell of a time. Especially if you read them while reading other books at the same time.

By the way, has anyone read Dude, Where's My Country? my Michael Moore? I have a friend who read it and he said it was quite good.

Nope, haven't read it.

:D :D :D:D:D

If I recall correctly you lived in Puerto Rico the first five (?) years of your life, although you are a spanishspeaker, you have been more in contact with the english language. Cortazar, is among the hardest spanish-writing author (if not the hardest). His style can be very confusing, he changes the narrator's point of view several times within one sentence, he plays with time and mind. He has one book, called Rayuela, that particular book can be read in two different ways. In another book he incorporates newspaper articles into the story. Or he simply starts writing with ortographic mistakes. They are not easy reads, they are rather hard to understand, I've read Rayuela thrice and I'm still dealing with some stuff, (particularly some stuff he put in in French). I know some people that read some books, and didn't like them because they didn't understand them, particularly some of the aspects of the problematic (as usual latinamerican identity problem) were hard to understand. If you think you can handle Cortázar go ahead, they are good books, but they might give you a hell of a time. Especially if you read them while reading other books at the same time.

`Didn't mean to provoke that. :roll:

Nope, haven't read it.

It's more of an American book, so I wouldn't imagine so.

:D :D :D:D:D

:twisted: Yes...

• SWR Staff - Executive
Michael Moore is very... outspoken. His last book was Stupid White Men.. and well, you can see where his views slant. I've not had the chance to read this one, but I fear it is probably more of the Anti-American rhetoric we hear from the left these days.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

The books I am plowing through at the moment are:-

1) Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer

2) The Battle of Towton by A.W. Boardman

3)The Mortimers Lords of the March by Hopkinson and Speight

4) Heart of Darkness by Joesph Conrad

5) Emperor The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden.

Heart of Darkness has one of my favourite quotes of all time:-

'And this stillness of life did not in the least resemble peace. It was the stillness of an implacable force brooding over an inscutable intention. It looked at you with a vengeful aspect'.

A thought provoking observation by Conrad on the aspect of Nature itself.

It also reminds me about playing Rebellion !!! When it goes quiet for 20-30 turns does'nt mean the Empire is'nt doing anything. :twisted:

You have failed me for the last time

What is Life? Life is the Nation. The Individual must die anyway. Beyond the Life of the Individual is the Nation.

Michael Moore is very... outspoken. His last book was Stupid White Men.. and well, you can see where his views slant. I've not had the chance to read this one, but I fear it is probably more of the Anti-American rhetoric we hear from the left these days.
Evaders, his books are not Anti-American, they are Michael Moore using his right to free speech. Do I agree with everything he says? Of course not! Is he asking you or anyone else to agree with what he says? Of course not! But it's not anti-American "rhetoric," it's thoughts and opinions of the United States of America from a different point of view.

Let me guess, Evaders, you're Republican? :roll:

Has anyone here read Howard Zinn (A People's History of the United States) or Noam Chomsky (Imperial Democracy), by any chance? They're considered to be some of the greatest, unbiased minds among historians.

• SWR Staff - Executive

Off-topic

Hmm.. and yet every conservative viewpoint is labelled rhetoric. :)

No I'm not a Republican, but I do support many of their view points.

This is my opinion, well.. of his opinion. He'd not have these opinions without some criticism of American society and American values. I'm not saying anti-American to be inciteful (as in treason) but as a constrast to the principles that have made America the country it is.

Do you have to agree with anything I say? Nope, definitely not. He has every right to publish his book and I do plan on reading it. But when you have to start calling them 'stupid' to get people to read... well, it's really shallow and I hope he does plan to prove how they are stupid.

Well, there are really no unbiased viewpoints. People like to call themselves unbiased, fair, and balanced. They're not.. unless you're a machine.

PM me or IM and we'll debate sometime. :)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Off-topic

Hmm.. and yet every conservative viewpoint is labelled rhetoric. :)

No I'm not a Republican, but I do support many of their view points.

This is my opinion, well.. of his opinion. He'd not have these opinions without some criticism of American society and American values. I'm not saying anti-American to be inciteful (as in treason) but as a constrast to the principles that have made America the country it is.

Do you have to agree with anything I say? Nope, definitely not. He has every right to publish his book and I do plan on reading it. But when you have to start calling them 'stupid' to get people to read... well, it's really shallow and I hope he does plan to prove how they are stupid.

Well, there are really no unbiased viewpoints. People like to call themselves unbiased, fair, and balanced. They're not.. unless you're a machine.

PM me or IM and we'll debate sometime. :)

I didn't mean any hostility, Evaders, I was simply curious. But he is indeed very outspoken. :roll:

On topic...

Not sure if it's mentioned before but I've recently finished reading Catch 22, and it's one of the best books ever.

Nowhere in the same league, but for anyone who enjoys sci fi novels you've gotta read the Nightsdawn trilogy (Peter F Hamilton) - it's certainly one of the best series from the last decade.