Unit Diversity

Avaris

This post is in respons to questions asked in another thread. I have started a new thread because it moves a bit off topic from the original.

What other RTS with space and ground units are you referring too?

ok so what the game isn't adding up to what you expected of it but what you expect ios probably higher than anything that can be supported by the usual computer and as the game is for Widespread distribution they have to rate down what it can do to allow a medium spec pc run it with minimal or no upgrades.

I'll try to address both of these quickly in one post. First, I was not referring to a game with "both ground and space" I was talking about "diversity of units in combat". 9 combat units (In a space combat scenario) is a low number compared to the industry standard (Which seems average around 13). Diversity is important for many reasons which I can outline if needed. Second, the system requirements are well below industry standard as well.

O.R.B. - Date 11/4/02 - Min Req: 600Mhz 16mb vid

Can't remember/find unit list. I think it was around 15 though.

Command & Conquer Generals - Date 2/16/03 - Min Req: 800Mhz 32mb vid

USA Units - 13 combat units

Homeworld 2 - Date 9/16/03 - Min Req: 833Mhz 32mb vid

Hiigara - 12 combat units

Ground Control 2 - Date 6/3/04 - Min Req: 800Mhz 32mb vid

NSA - 11 combat units

War Hammer 40k - Date 9/20/04 - Min Req: 1.4Ghz 32mb vid

Space Marines - 16 combat units

Rome: Total War - Date 9/22/04 - Min Req: 1Ghz 64mb vid

Julii - 33 combat units

Earth 2160 - Date 11/25/05 - Min Req: 1.5Ghz 64mb vid

USC - 13 combat units

Age of Empire 3 - Date 10/13/05 - Min Req: 1.4Ghz 64mb vid

Germans - 39 Combat units

Starwars Empire at War - Release Date 2/16/06 - Min. Requirements 1.0Ghz, 32mb vid

Imperial Space Units - 9 combat units

Numbers are not important. In some of those games some of the function are repeated, like both are good at taking out infantry, but the little things are different.

They are trying to make a difference in RTS games. They are not following the trends.

Also you may have notice that the PC industry revenue are falling. I beleive many people still don't have high end PCs to play all those PC games. This scaries any future PC gamers, do to the high cost. The lower system spec. support is to help the PC market. I know people who won't update, or can't update, so in the end they don't play or buy the game.

I must not fear

Fear is the mind-killer

Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration

I will face my fear

I will permit it to pass over me and through me

And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing

Only I will remain

-- The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

from the novel Dune by Frank Herbert

http://www.petroglyphgames.com/images/hierarchy_banner1.jpg

Wouldn't it be 9 + heros + air cover + creatures?

While it would seem that the unit count is low, I personally much rather have 9 units that are all useful then in a lot of RTSes when 25%+ of the units are near worthless, as well as 9 units with virtually no overlap between unit function

Though without playing the game, I can't say whether all 9 will be useful, and if any of the units will overlap in function.

Zing!

exactly how many people actually used the gattling tank once you got the big bugger(cannot remember its name and cannot be bothered to search) I know I didnt hardly use any other china unit in sp as for mp i didnt have a pc up to spec at the time to play and thats a diff strat totaly.

lol I doubt the how many different units there are has to do with what pc you need to run the game

its the pop cap that has to do with the system requirements. more units in the screen=more memory. the same I guess is in galactic mode but I doubt its that much memory there

I never meantioned that the low Pop Cap was to do with the System Reqiurements at all, what i said was about the Expectations being higher than can be delevered as they have to bring things down to a level that most peoples pc's van handle. this means that we will have to sacrifice somethings that we want (like the Venator) to keep the game at a playable level so what!

i like Sirnuke think that having the Lower cap will require people to use more diversity in the Fleets and Forces that they employ because as it is the massed fleets of the best ship won't work as every ship has a weakness that can be exploited by the other team.

also if anyone who complains about the low Pop cap hasn't looked in the Previews and Screenshots section at My TOpic of Random information i Strongly suggest they do to see just how much the game will have in it at this time, with just what we know.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/Admiral_Antilles/Thrawncopy.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

I Support the Resistance!

Also you may have notice that the PC industry revenue are falling. I beleive many people still don't have high end PCs to play all those PC games.

Well aoe3 certainly sold just fine. Also, i gave RTS requirements. The FPS requirements for the same timeframe are much higher, in the 1.5-2.2Ghz range opposed to the 833-1.5Ghz. So I doubt the RTS market was effected by high requirements as you suggest. IF so, then FPS simply would not have sold at all, which isn't the case. I think LA has included a younger target market for this product, and have found that that market has slower computers than the normal target market. but that is clearly an uninformed guess.

exactly how many people actually used the gattling tank once you got the big bugger

Exactly. How many people would build the Venator once you have the ISD? Or a Tie once you have Ceps?

lol I doubt the how many different units there are has to do with what pc you need to run the game

Sorry if that looks like what my post was saying. The unit count and system requirements are unrelated. Those are answering two different questions.

i like Sirnuke think that having the Lower cap will require people to use more diversity in the Fleets and Forces that they employ because as it is the massed fleets of the best ship won't work as every ship has a weakness that can be exploited by the other team.

Well what about the lack of anti-fighter vehicles for the imps? Will be running from the rebs in tactical to buy time to replenish your ties become a standard tactic? If the empires capital ships can barely hit fighters, then 20 rebellion fighter squads would seem invincible. But we shall have to play to see how this works out.