OMG - Han and Chewie are awsome!

Matthujun

they are the first rebels heros i will try to get so watch out imperials u might think u have a at at backing u up but really it chewie and he has his cross hairs on u bam ur dead

"Nothing beats a good blaster at your side"

Han Solo

My screen name online is (PFF)Jedi_Mike

Wrong, dead wrong. I don't understand why the heck they can't display the shots as missed instead of impacting...

If the shots are doing little to no damage, they shouldn't look like they are hitting dead on. This is one thing that I haven't been able to understand about RTSs. 5 years ago I can understand, but there should not be a technical reason why that can't be done.

The horribly low unit limit is a large reason I think that we see so many ground units taking direct hits from things like AT-STs and the like and not even flinching. They can't model it right because every battle would last less than 5 minutes.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

yes Teradyn you are i think right about why they can't make things completely right with the missing it would also take a lot more coding to do as it would need a randomiser to decide if it hits or not. but the low unit limit is to make it better for Strategy playing and inventing as it prevents massed fleets/units and just hitting in full force. this game is going to require more thinking than most to play as you have to plan an assault to make it work otherwise (Hoping the AI is up to it) you will fail and loose.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/Admiral_Antilles/Thrawncopy.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

I Support the Resistance!

Thrawn, the percentage of hits that register as such should be dependant on the health of the unit and how much damage the shots are doing... there are alot of ways to do it that are not complicated at all. I am just saying that technology has come along too far for the same hit routine as you see in Galctic Battlegrounds...

so therefore i am not wrong it is the same with every rts no unit dies with one shot unless its a special. You can see solo is taking quite a bit of damage and he gets close enough to use his special. This to me seems about right taking into the fact that vader can crush vehicles and take huge amounts of damage, so the rebels shouldnt have someone just as able to take down vehicles ?? its all about balance one side cannot be more powerful than the other, before you cry out the empire was way more powerfull than the rebels yes this is true. It wouldnt make a good rts that way would it??

This is an rts with a starwars theme designed not just for fans of starwars but for casual gamers also just because it breaks the omg its not how it should happen. Its a game games are never perfect and never will be.

as to the shots missing etc ever though the engine isnt capable of this? This may be the case it may not but to me just because han solo can disable a ATAT I aint gonna cry whatever side I play.

Wrong, dead wrong. I don't understand why the heck they can't display the shots as missed instead of impacting...

If the shots are doing little to no damage, they shouldn't look like they are hitting dead on. This is one thing that I haven't been able to understand about RTSs. 5 years ago I can understand, but there should not be a technical reason why that can't be done.

The horribly low unit limit is a large reason I think that we see so many ground units taking direct hits from things like AT-STs and the like and not even flinching. They can't model it right because every battle would last less than 5 minutes.

In that one video with Darth Vader getting pelted with the rebel artillery he doesn't die in one shot like he should either.

Anyway it would be hard to do the whole missing thing, because you'd have to make it a close miss, so the shot would be slightly deviated from where it originally wanted it to land (on the unit). Anyways I've just accepted that every shot hits and heroes are going to have a fairly high hitpoint total. Chances are that you'll run into them only a few times early on, but then you might see them often after that. It's going to be hard to finish off an opponent if there is no limit on how many heroes they can bring into a battle at once or the "last battle" might take forever.

I thought that the 'a hero mysteriously lives to fight another day' thing would be based around being able to evade firepower, rather than soak up ridiculous amounts of it, too.

I don't think that even Lucas would have written Han Solo getting pelted by several volleys from an AT-AT and getting away unscathed from it!

Well i was referring from a "code" standpoint not a "realistic" standpoint. Unless you think that the shots were "designed" to hit the tie and then missed due to its movement? I think not, based on how slowly the ties were moving.

Well, why exactly wouldn't you have all of the shots that go toward vader be blocked by him, at least enough to account for the low damage he is taking relative to the fire coming in?

All I am saying is that for something that is supposed to be breaking new ground in other areas, this simple area seems to be so 10 year ago-ish.

Well, why exactly wouldn't you have all of the shots that go toward vader be blocked by him, at least enough to account for the low damage he is taking relative to the fire coming in?

Precisely. With a character like that, there are ways to make it seem feasable. Han Solo, on the other hand, is just an ordinary guy! Not even any armour. Just clothes and a lot of common sense.

My personal opinion is that you guys are nitpicking. So Han isn't killed in one blast. To be honest I could see more people complaining come demo day if he did.

Gameplay before realism. From what I see he loses a decent amount of damage from that AT-St and AT-AT. In the thick of battle I would venture to imagine he's be taken down very quickly. Hence Han isn't god. He's a hero, not god. He's a hero, not a regular trooper. A balance has to be come by, and from that video Petroglyph don't seem far off. Thinking about a system where shots miss at this stage is a bit redundant, since to implement it now would likely require a complete ground battle overhaul.

Han and Chewie together take out two units, two units which are both vehicles. From the look of things that's what their skills are precisely set up to do. Against a legion or two of stormtroopers I bet the outcome is considerably different. This video was set up to show what they can do, not how quickly they die to specific units.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

My personal opinion is that you guys are nitpicking. So Han isn't killed in one blast. To be honest I could see more people complaining come demo day if he did.

Gameplay before realism. From what I see he loses a decent amount of damage from that AT-St and AT-AT. In the thick of battle I would venture to imagine he's be taken down very quickly. Hence Han isn't god. He's a hero, not god. He's a hero, not a regular trooper. A balance has to be come by, and from that video Petroglyph don't seem far off. Thinking about a system where shots miss at this stage is a bit redundant, since to implement it now would likely require a complete ground battle overhaul.

Han and Chewie together take out two units, two units which are both vehicles. From the look of things that's what their skills are precisely set up to do. Against a legion or two of stormtroopers I bet the outcome is considerably different. This video was set up to show what they can do, not how quickly they die to specific units.

Darkmark: I couldn't agree more. The video was about what they are capable of, not how they die or how many shots they can take before they die. I believe we will see what it is like come demo and release day. You guys are complaining about something that maybe could be for show...we don't officially know about this kind of stuff...yet.

No, we don't think he should die in one shot. But there have been too many instances where way too much damage has been taken in from AT-STs, tanks, etc by troops, heros, etc. visually at least. It is par for the course right now, but we are saying that we would like to see something that is better than par. This is one area that basically hurts the suspension of disbelief.

In galactic battlegrounds we see the same thing with the jedi units. They take rediculous amounts of fire and it looks like every shot hits solid and they just lose small amounts of health. No saber movement, no blocking, etc, just direct hits. That was a game based off of an already existing engine. EAW was designed from the ground up and could have incorporated something better. This is all we are saying.

On another note, this is an issue that is more important than unit balance and the existence or not of units, as those things we can probably mod to correct. Things to do with the inner workings of the game engine are things that we can not do anything with. These are the things that are set in proverbial stone.

Teradyn i never agree with what you are saying but i hate to say it your right this is more important than existence or non existence of units as the game id meant to be ground breaking in the field of RTS's well why not make the graphics the same have misses and hits for heros random like in real life if an enemy fires at you you don't just die if it doesn't hit theres a diference and that AT-ST shouldn't be that good at targeting infantry and thats what Han is infantry and running they shouldn't hit him everytime, it doesn't work like that.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/Admiral_Antilles/Thrawncopy.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

I Support the Resistance!

You think solo could have at least approached the ATAT from BEHIND or from the SIDES. It was a rather absurd video. If an ATAT can destroy an ATST with like 3 shots then how come it can't blow up a guy WEARING CLOTHES WITH NO ARMOUR WHATSOEVER even with the help of the ATST.

WTF

Of course they were trying to be perfectly realistic, and somehow messed up...

OR they acknowledged the fact that for balancing issues, AT-ATs probably are not very effective against infantry. And Heroes would be offley worthless if they couldn't take a lot of hits.

Zing!

Delphi said that the LA videos are not what the game really is. It's just for showing the abilities of the units. Please stop the complaining!

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Delphi said that the LA videos are not what the game really is. It's just for showing the abilities of the units. Please stop the complaining!

Then WTF are what the game really is!? the vids are the only things we can judge this kind of stuff (screens don't do it quite so well)